Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

van141

Netflix - how to get activation code?

When you want to use Netflix on more than one device, you need to upgrade your account to support streaming to more than one device and then you need to get and 'activation code' on your device that you then use in your Netflix account to activate that device.

I have looked all over the Netflix in ATV1200 but I don't see any activation code or any means to obtain it. Is there anything to be done? I tried to use MAC number or another number underneath which I don't know what it is but none works as 'activation code' for the device. Didn't try serial number since I didn't think that would work at all.

I found this explanation that may push this thread further:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Question

Where do I get an activation code for Netflix?

Answer

In order to watch Netflix on your Netflix enabled device you will need a computer with internet access, an internet connection for the device itself, and a Netflix subscription.

Open your preferred web browser on your computer and navigate to www.netflix.com

Log into your acct if necessary and click "Your acct & Help" on the upper right hand side of the page

Scroll down the page until you reach the "Watching Instantly on your TV or computer" section and click the link for "Activate a Netflix ready device"

On the device itself, navigate to the Netflix App (location will vary based upon model-please see your manual for specifics)

After launching the app for the first time, you will be asked if you have a Netflix acct. When you answer "Yes", you will be given an authentication code that you will then need to enter on the page you should now be at on your computer.

Click the "Activate" button after entering the code on the "Activate your Device" screen from your computer.

Netflix will now link your device and your acct; you will see a confirmation message on your computer when successful. You should now be viewing your Netflix home screen on your device. Select a title to begin streaming.

------------------------------------------------------------------

When I launch Netflix on Android, it offers to start a free trial (first months free I think) and in top right corner is a button 'Sign In' clicking which opens login screen. Nowhere is to be found any 'authentication code' offer. I suppose, the makers of this app didn't think that people might want to pay for Netflix on more than one device at home - assumption is the box is just for geeks, el cheapo nerdy guys who won't use Neflix anyway, because they can get all it offers for free elsewhere on the box...

Thanks for suggestion. I did try and with the help of mouse I got into browser inside the Netflix app but that was the webpage like if you were on the internet on a computer... but maybe if I try once more and also in the browser app in Android, given I got the problem determined - before I found that quite confusing because when you try to login it tells you your password is not correct. Actually the screen that opens when you launch Netflix is actually a browser page which until you scroll down you don't realize that that's what it is.

I suppose the Netflix app for Android is made by Netflix techs themselves? Why is it behaving so poorly such as in this case to tell you your password is incorrect? Isn't Netflix supposed to be for 'ordinary' non-tech folks?

Thinking about it, perhaps on new device one should first accept the offer of the Free Trial and perhaps then it might give you the option if you have account already and give you activation #... but that makes no sense. We already have subscribed to the '4 screens' option.

When you want to use Netflix on more than one device, you need to upgrade your account to support streaming to more than one device and then you need to get and 'activation code' on your device that you then use in your Netflix account to activate that device.

I have looked all over the Netflix in ATV1200 but I don't see any activation code or any means to obtain it. Is there anything to be done? I tried to use MAC number or another number underneath which I don't know what it is but none works as 'activation code' for the device. Didn't try serial number since I didn't think that would work at all.

Not sure why this is happening for you

I have a netflix account and use the same account on 4 devices. I did not have to use an activation code for this

Just used my login name and password and it works

Perhaps the laptop or PC or Mac don't count as 'devices'? Like if you are signed in in AppleTV connected to a TV I think gives you automatically access to watch on your computer without paying subscription for additional screen.

I am going to try to use the browser in Android, not the Netflix app's browser interface and see if I get the activation code for the atv1200 box

As for it telling me that password is incorrect, it is quite simple password and all lowercase letters and no numbers in it or anything, it just can't be wrong.

OK its solved - I called support and was told that if the device doesn't give activation code, I don't need it. I was told to reset my password via email which I did - changed pass to another and then it worked on ATV1200 in Netflix app. I then went and changed the pass back to what it was (so the family won't need to remember new one).

Thanks for pointing out it works for you justin, such confirmation spurs one to attack the problem anew.

As another question while I am at it - how does ATV1200 compare to AppleTV v3 (currently latest model) in terms of how it can handle streaming, from Netflix or generally handle multimedia? Like which one has more 'horsepower'? Does anyone have opinion on that?

that is good news will keep this in mind just in case someone else comes across same problem

i am happy it worked out for you