Justin

**NEW** ATV 1800/1800E MARCH 31ST FEEDBACK THREAD

Thanks for the reply Mavr13k. The first attempt on the new firmware upgrade was executed via the OS "software upgrade" app built in,....strange thing is the upgrade went fine,....it re-booted as usual and when everything came back up Kodi was not installed and everything looked exactly as before the upgrade. I checked the build version to make sure it did indeed upgrade,...and it showed the new build numbers. So I launched the MAGTV official Android app and it now worked correctly with the video preview window and all !,....I was thrilled !. Then I did a internet speed test and again was thrilled to see my download speed increased from 37mbps to 97mbps !. then I launched XBMC to check the build version and it was still 13.2 Gotham,....so looks like for me the firmware did install correctly with the exception of Kodi only. So I decided to just do a fresh clean install via the reset button & power plug method. This time the firmware also installed correctly including Kodi,...etc. Then I used the "Backup" program add-on to restore all of my previously saved XBMC add-ons,...user data,...settings,...etc. This also went smoothly and I was able to get back all my add-ons,...etc. installed into Kodi. Then I launched play store to re-download the apps that were whipped out due to the clean fresh install,.....installed MAGTV again inputted the portal info. and as soon as I backed out,....I just see a black screen. Everything else seems to work just fine.

KLF,

Mine did the same thing the first time too....all you gotta do is exit the app (FORCE STOP if need be) and open it up again....you will see that yellow bar appear again and it should work perfectly again, just make sure you did your settings right.

Mavr13k

Good to know,...I will have to play around with it again tonight after work.

I did the update last night. Had to power down after 1/2 hour as well for it to take. It did not override Gotham 13.2 and change it to Kodi.

No noticeable change in Ethernet speed. No other advancement or improvements. I thought Justin said this had been "thoroughly tested".

Why miss - inform us? So we become test rabbit's. Some valuable trust has been lost.

I thought this was the firmware we had long "anticipated".

And why not include a fix for "Bluetooth", that would be much more "anticipated".

This firmware upgrade does basically "nothing".

I would recommend to all, "Wait till it is done properly".

I did Ethernet tests at over 10 different locations, using 12 different routers. This included testing the speed on a PC first and then the box. Also got others who had this file test it as well with same feedback.

Each time it matched what the PC got.

As I have said before, we cannot add Bluetooth USB Dongle support without help from AMlogic, which they have not thus far.

Did the update using the software upgrade app built into Android kit-kat. The update installed fine but did not change xbmc at all,......still have 13.2

.....infact the only change i have noticed is my download internet speed is faster now.

Look under applications, KODI is listed there

finally got it to update correctly by doing a clean fresh install again. now have kodi but my mag tv emulator does not work anymore. was working fine before. Anyone else with this problem ?

Try the MyGica store version of Mag TV.

I guess they have not updated the Play Store version yet.

finally got it to update correctly by doing a clean fresh install again. now have kodi but my mag tv emulator does not work anymore. was working fine before. Anyone else with this problem ?

Try the MyGica store version of Mag TV.

I guess they have not updated the Play Store version yet.

Thanks Justin,.....I will un-install this app and install it from the MyGica store to see if I can get it going again.

Thanks for the reply Mavr13k. The first attempt on the new firmware upgrade was executed via the OS "software upgrade" app built in,....strange thing is the upgrade went fine,....it re-booted as usual and when everything came back up Kodi was not installed and everything looked exactly as before the upgrade. I checked the build version to make sure it did indeed upgrade,...and it showed the new build numbers. So I launched the MAGTV official Android app and it now worked correctly with the video preview window and all !,....I was thrilled !. Then I did a internet speed test and again was thrilled to see my download speed increased from 37mbps to 97mbps !. then I launched XBMC to check the build version and it was still 13.2 Gotham,....so looks like for me the firmware did install correctly with the exception of Kodi only. So I decided to just do a fresh clean install via the reset button & power plug method. This time the firmware also installed correctly including Kodi,...etc. Then I used the "Backup" program add-on to restore all of my previously saved XBMC add-ons,...user data,...settings,...etc. This also went smoothly and I was able to get back all my add-ons,...etc. installed into Kodi. Then I launched play store to re-download the apps that were whipped out due to the clean fresh install,.....installed MAGTV again inputted the portal info. and as soon as I backed out,....I just see a black screen. Everything else seems to work just fine.

You have to reload the portal or app after you enter in the portal data.

It is black screen at first because no portal details are in your settings when you first launch the app

Seems not much was done to the internal video codecs, still have issues on playback via 4K player.

Audio Codecs that are not licensed etc ... Seriously thought this was going to be the one but development is slow it seems. Other than that the build is pretty neat and we seem to be getting there.

Pretty solid experience so far, just wish the speed of improvement could pick up here and that it can be on form like some of my other Android boxes.

I pm'd you

Seems not much was done to the internal video codecs, still have issues on playback via 4K player.

Audio Codecs that are not licensed etc ... Seriously thought this was going to be the one but development is slow it seems. Other than that the build is pretty neat and we seem to be getting there.

Pretty solid experience so far, just wish the speed of improvement could pick up here and that it can be on form like some of my other Android boxes.

Which video codecs and audio codecs where you looking for?

Updated my 1800e from the November firmware to the new firmware with no major issues. I had previously installed and was running Kodi 14.0, as well as installing AIrPIN Pro and an SSH server.

I did not do a factory reset but I did Clear Data on both the Kodi installation and Gotham installation before the upgrade. I was not able to install from a 32gb SD card via recovery mode or the upgrade application as the card could not be read at the point of installation (it could be read in the upgrade app before reboot). No issues once I put the img file on an 8gb card.

Both of my apps worked fine after upgrade, and Kodo also worked without issue. I preferred the white background Kodi button to the black brackgound which was part of the update but no other complaints. My ethernet speeds are also up from about 3Mb to about 36Mb which is the line speed of my internet service so happy there too.

Updated my 1800e from the November firmware to the new firmware with no major issues. I had previously installed and was running Kodi 14.0, as well as installing AIrPIN Pro and an SSH server.

I did not do a factory reset but I did Clear Data on both the Kodi installation and Gotham installation before the upgrade. I was not able to install from a 32gb SD card via recovery mode or the upgrade application as the card could not be read at the point of installation (it could be read in the upgrade app before reboot). No issues once I put the img file on an 8gb card.

Both of my apps worked fine after upgrade, and Kodo also worked without issue. I preferred the white background Kodi button to the black brackgound which was part of the update but no other complaints. My ethernet speeds are also up from about 3Mb to about 36Mb which is the line speed of my internet service so happy there too.

Good to hear the upgrade went well for you.

As for the KODI logo, that is a custom logo made by us, to look better on the main screen of the launcher, sorry if you don't like it.

I pm'd you

Replied ;)

A couple of questions:

1) My wi-fi is very slow. I presume that's going to be fixed in the next update?

2) How do I get rid of the weather thing above the launcher that displays the wrong city? I can't find a way to either remove it, or change it to a valid location.

I apologize if this is a silly question, but I am about to update mine for the first time.

Can we update the firmware using a USB stick instead of an SD card ?

Thanks

I apologize if this is a silly question, but I am about to update mine for the first time.

Can we update the firmware using a USB stick instead of an SD card ?

Thanks

I don't see why not,...you will just have to point to the file on the USB stick,...that being said I have always believed that it is good practice to disconnect all USB connected devices before applying a firmware upgrade. Personally I would stick with the SD Card method.

Thanks for the reply. Only reason I'm asking is I don't think I have any SD cards kicking around and don't really want to buy one if it's not required. Any specific size required?

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply. Only reason I'm asking is I don't think I have any SD cards kicking around and don't really want to buy one if it's not required. Any specific size required?

Thanks again

If you are going to use a USB stick,....I would use a small one perhaps between 2gb to 16gb (max),....same with an SD card.

Please post results about upgrading from last Kodi 14.0 beta upgrade. Does this go smooth or do you have to go back to November firmware first?

Justin did your people test the above?

Thanks,

Freakrant

Is there anyway to map a button on the control to reboot the box?

I have found that a reboot will fix the 1080p 60hz issue with no video. At least we could use this as a workaround till this is fixed.

I went back to the 2014 firmware and 1080p 60hz works perfect there. On the March 31st 2015 firmware it gives no video. But if you reboot the box, it will boot in 1080p mode just fine and will work fine till you change source on the TV again.

If there was a way to map a key for a reboot, this could be used as a workaround for now.

Use the App called Quickboot that is included with the firmware.

And how exactly do you run anything when you have no video?

Does that app allow you to map the reboot command to a button, because I can't see that option?

Seem to run into issues changing from 24hz to 60hz ... Black screen of death.

Sometimes it happens randomly, saw it on some of my other AML android boxes too.

I made the November-March update through USB. Installed, then ran a wipe through Quick Boot, then set everything up again.

Did a factory reset and update last night with USB. All was successful. Getting proper ethernet speeds so far and it is working fine.

Thanks for all your help.

Some paid and free video streaming testing:

Hulu Plus works fine, just on occasion buffering occurs but this might be due to a newer version Hulu Plus that was deployed.Netflix works OK, still not HD but it should perhaps come in Android Lollipop. Sony cracke works as well as can be expected. BBC Iplayer doesn't work, launches video and says content cannot be played back and prompt to retry on which it still doesn't work,