Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ryanrich

USB not powering off

I have a newly purchases 585 that I have an external Seagate drive plugged in to. This hard drive automatically shuts off when not in use, and when I have it plugged in my PS3 and turn off the PS3, the hard drive automatically shuts down as well.

If I have the drive plugged into my 585 and turn off the MyGica device, the hard drive remains active and doesn't shut down, which means the USB stays active.

Is there a way to make the drive automatically turn off as well?

I doubt there is any way to shut the external off.. when the PS3 shuts down it kills power to the USB ports.. you can't charge the controllers either. Suspect that the gica box continues to power the USB ports as that is where the receiver for the remote plugs in.. at least it is on my 1800

Hi Guys,

I have tested this also on a ATV582 and it also keeps the USB powered up. It is not due to the USB remote receiver as the power button on the remote uses IR command and not RF via the USB receiver.

I will see if i can find out why.

I have bought an atv582 last week and have the same problem. Usb mobile hdd stays powered on. Did anybody found out why? Thanks.

can you remove your Hard drive and USB, reboot the box and see if still there?

Hi Jamesc, I have removed my usb mouse / keyboard receiver and usb powered hdd. Switch on atv582 and wait till loaded, power off with IR remote with red indicator light, plugin hdd and it starts spinning. Usb is always on. I did see the hdd power light go off once, but it was still spinning. Is this hardware related or software related? I will test with my work usb powered hdd as it has buildin power suspend.

Edit: I do apologize for pisting in atv585 discussion having an atv582.

I am aware of this issue on the 585, 1800 and 582.

This is a software thing.

I have asked about getting this changed, but this has not been done yet.

I will have to look into this again and see if this can still be done.

Issue here is I have tried this on 4 different USB External drivers

3 of them power down, and 1 of them does not.

So I am not sure why this works on some and not others.

This change will likely be made to 4.4 first

Hmmm, I have a Seagate 2TB drive currently connected, but will be changing to a 4TB Western Digital soon. Maybe that will sort it out. ;)

Hmmm, I have a Seagate 2TB drive currently connected, but will be changing to a 4TB Western Digital soon. Maybe that will sort it out. ;)

Let us know how it goes.

Let us know how it goes.

Please remember to split in 2TB partitions as it will not detect 2TB+

Hi Justin, just some feedback. My 3TB with own power started doing the same. But I have noticed that when you switch it on and try to put the device in sleep within say 2 min the hdd stays on, but leave it running for 10 min and power the device down it does power down the hdd. Looks like android is busy doing some scanning in the background and thus not finishing when the device is powered down.

Hi Justin, just some feedback. My 3TB with own power started doing the same. But I have noticed that when you switch it on and try to put the device in sleep within say 2 min the hdd stays on, but leave it running for 10 min and power the device down it does power down the hdd. Looks like android is busy doing some scanning in the background and thus not finishing when the device is powered down.

Thanks for the feedback

Standby mode is not an official power down, so that could be the issue

It is almost the same as pressing the screen off button on your Phone or Tablet

I opted to rather buy a WD 2TB NAS drive to plug into my router and then stream content via WiFi. Should be delivered this week, then will update. :)

This way it makes updating content easier than unplugging my USB hard drive all the time.

NAS drive is working great, set up SMB shares from Kodi to access my media wirelessly.

Only weird thing is that if I update the firmware on my ASUS router suddenly my MyGica WiFi is very poor and hardly anything works. Going back to the older router firmware rectifies the problem. Guess I'll just stay on the older firmware then...

Hi there Guys I purchased a ATV 582 a week ago and have the same issue. Was wondering the following:

1. Has this been resolved, if so what do I need to do to fix the problem my side and if not when will it be resolved?

2. Is it bad for my hard disk to be always powered on?

Great if any one could help me here.

Thanks

Keith

Hi Justin,

Has this software issue been resolved?

It is getting tedious unplugging my external HD every time I go into standby mode as I do not want this permanently running.

Unplugging the external after powering the MyGica off also scrambles the MyGica every now and again and requires the power to be pulled out in order to get the machine working again.

Great Product otherwise, keep up the good work.

Duncan W

The issue is that all of the USB Hard Drives that we have tested power off when we put the unit into Standby

So this is a tough one to fix.

Post a link to the HD your using that is giving you this issue and I will buy it to try it myself.

Hi Justin,

Both the HD's that I use dont turn off.

The one on the right one of my co-workers has

I will give it a try over the weekend and let you know