Justin

Android 4.2 Upgrade for ATV 1200 **FEEDBACK**

Excellent upgrade, thanks!

The main issues I had with previous firmware related to poor performance of iR and RF remote/keyboards. This firmware seems to fix problems with IR remote, but RF keyboard/mouse is still susceptible to wildly repeating keystrokes. Is there any way to disable or tweak key repeat for RF/USB keyboard either in Android or XBMC?

The other major issue was XBMC guisettings.xml file sometimes getting overwritten with default values so that skin customisations like add-on short-cuts etc. were lost. Unfortunately, I can confirm that this can still happen if XBMC is started very shortly after boot by automatic start program or if XBMC is set up as Android launcher.

It seems that somehow SD card is not fully ready and XBMC cannot read existing guisettings file so creates a new one in memory and it will write out the new, default file on exit. To avoid the problem I put a 10 second sleep before autostart, but sometimes it still gets reset. My workaround is to take a copy of guisettings.xml and manually replace it, or alternatively set file permissions with chmod to non-writeable (chmod a-w guisettings.xml) so that XBMC cannot replace your customised version with defaults. If you see default setup in XBMC then just exit and restart XBMC and it should be back to customised version since XBMC could not save default file. If there is a better fix for this then please let me know!

Hi Justin,

I watched the video and followed it. I saw the robot with the progress bar moving from left to right and seems to have rebooted on its own. However the atv 1200 stayed black with no output to the hdmi port.

Any way to recover from this? I have since tried to follow the hard reset procedure, but have not been able to be the box to turn on. Is there anything else I can try?

just a quick 1 guys

I thought the new firmware would have the latest xbmc gotham build ..

Its still frodo! Is there a problem with gotham and is there a gotham build that is stable with the new firmware ?

cheers

mick

Standard Gotham 13.0 or 13.1RC can be installed on the box, no problem. Use App Backup and Restore if you want to keep the built-in Frodo apk in case you want to revert back to stock before uninstalling it and installing Gotham.

Excellent upgrade, thanks!

The main issues I had with previous firmware related to poor performance of iR and RF remote/keyboards. This firmware seems to fix problems with IR remote, but RF keyboard/mouse is still susceptible to wildly repeating keystrokes. Is there any way to disable or tweak key repeat for RF/USB keyboard either in Android or XBMC?

The other major issue was XBMC guisettings.xml file sometimes getting overwritten with default values so that skin customisations like add-on short-cuts etc. were lost. Unfortunately, I can confirm that this can still happen if XBMC is started very shortly after boot by automatic start program or if XBMC is set up as Android launcher.

It seems that somehow SD card is not fully ready and XBMC cannot read existing guisettings file so creates a new one in memory and it will write out the new, default file on exit. To avoid the problem I put a 10 second sleep before autostart, but sometimes it still gets reset. My workaround is to take a copy of guisettings.xml and manually replace it, or alternatively set file permissions with chmod to non-writeable (chmod a-w guisettings.xml) so that XBMC cannot replace your customised version with defaults. If you see default setup in XBMC then just exit and restart XBMC and it should be back to customised version since XBMC could not save default file. If there is a better fix for this then please let me know!

Ok thanks for this

I will have engineers look at this.

just a quick 1 guys

I thought the new firmware would have the latest xbmc gotham build ..

Its still frodo! Is there a problem with gotham and is there a gotham build that is stable with the new firmware ?

cheers

mick

XBMC Gotham, still is not compatible with all add ons in XBMC, and this 4.2 upgrade will now be included on future shipments of ATV 400 and 1200.

We felt since not all add ons are compatible yet for gotham, we did not want customers to run into these problems when they buy our Mygica boxes, especially those that are using Android Boxes and XBMC for the first time.

The XBMC Gotham 13.0 and 13.1 ARM edition works great for the ATV 1200 and 400, so if you want to use Gotham on your box, then you can uninstall 12.2 and then install Gotham.

XBMC Gotham can be found at xbmc.org

too much traffic on the dropbox public folder and it as been temporarily disabled...error 509

We will be uploading it to the forum for download soon.

Hi Justin,

I watched the video and followed it. I saw the robot with the progress bar moving from left to right and seems to have rebooted on its own. However the atv 1200 stayed black with no output to the hdmi port.

Any way to recover from this? I have since tried to follow the hard reset procedure, but have not been able to be the box to turn on. Is there anything else I can try?

When you plug in your box, is there just a red light on the box?

First of all I wanted to say thank you to bobones and Justin.

I'd like to make a suggestion for paranoid people like me, and it would be to post

the MD5/SHA1 checksum of the released ROM (firmware)

Yes - Just a red light.

Sounds like you bricked your box

Must have missed a step with the instructions. After the Android Robot screen, it will take you into the main menu, and then will take you to the Welcome screen, and then start the installation process of apps, once completed, you will see the Welcome Screen.

The instructions are straight forward to follow

Once you let go of the Reset button, just leave your box for 5-8 minutes, and it will go through the upgrade and installation process.

Your TV Screen will be blank during part of the process, do not be alarmed, and do not unplug the box.

I have said before, if you are not sure if you can do this, then we suggest not trying it, as you can brick your box, and therefore making it not usable anymore, most of our retailers are able to offer the upgrade in there stores to customers.

If you would like to know the list of retailers, you can either email us or call our support line.

too much traffic on the dropbox public folder and it as been temporarily disabled...error 509

Yes they disabled my dropbox account, due to, to much bandwidth traffic.

It should be back up and working again.

I will be posting the update as a download on our forums, just getting changes done to the forum so we can upload a 300MB attachment.

Can I apply this upgrade to ATV 400, or it will brick my ATV 400? Thanks

Hi

We will be posting files and how to for ATV 400 this week

Where did bluetooth on settings go?

We removed it for now, since to many customers were confused that it only supported external bluetooth adapters, and did not have bluetooth installed inside the box.

We can have it added back if enough customers request it.

hello! I did exactly as described in the film finished loading the new firmware and the screen remained black, i can not do anything, has only red light, how can I bring it back to life? Thank you!