Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

naasking

Many problems, some solutions

Just unpacked a brand new ATV585, and I've run into all sorts of problems. As a little background, I'm intimately familiar with Kodi and tweaking it, my previous box being a custom openelec system, so here are the problems I encountered out of the box, no firmware updates or anything have been applied:

• 1. Google play won't show the list of installed apps. As of writing this line, it's been sitting there for 10 minutes just spinning.
    2. The Youtube app won't even start. Clicking the icon literally does nothing.
    3. Kodi video playing is ridiculously choppy, by which I mean it plays smoothly for the first second, then it pauses for a second, then it plays for a fraction of a second, then pauses again. I've tried both software and hardware decoding settings.
    4. Kodi plays navigation sounds until I try to play a video. The video plays poorly, with no audio, and when I stop it, no more navigation sounds.
    5. Playing an mp4 using the 4K player from USB doesn't work at all. It starts, I select the video, screen goes black for a few seconds, exit back to the main screen. This was after trying to play through Kodi.
    6. MyGica store simply tells me that an error occurred.
    7. I tried to import my existing Kodi video library which I exported from my old box, but only local drives are displayed, where I exported to my NAS. It looks like this Kodi problem:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=217472. For reference, the openelec 5.0.8 release I was running has Kodi 14.2, which didn't have this problem.

Upon further testing, it seems that Kodi's audio passthrough settings were causing some of the above problems. Once I played a video without passthrough enabled, lots of stuff just broke until I restarted the box. Upon restart, the 4k player can play files, and Kodi can play content without issue as long as I avoid DD or DTS files. Once I enabled passthrough for both DD and DTS, all videos seemed to play fine.

After the Nth restart, I noticed that Google Play interface looked a little different, as if it had had an update, and when I accessed My Apps they came up right away. I then updated the Youtube app, and when I tried to launch it, it opened the Google Youtube splashscreen for a second, then exited back to the home menu again. So that's still broken. Any suggestions to fix this would be much appreciated.

MyGica store still just tells me an error occurred.

A bit of a rocky start overall, but the box seems to work OK now. Loading the movie list is very noticeably slower than my AMD E350M openelec system. Takes almost 8 seconds, where on my old box it takes less than two seconds. Any suggestions for optimizing this load time would also be much appreciated.

It came with build number V002M8B01_2015-0327, which I believe is the latest firmware release.

The MyGica store works now, although I ran into a weird glitch where I couldn't actually exit, with either the home or back buttons. Had to restart the box.

I got Youtube working by uninstalling it, then reinstalling it from the Play store.

Most videos play now, but the weird stuttering still happens on some 1080p videos. Mostly ones with DTS, but found one with AAC. It always happens with the same ones, but they play fine in the 4k player, so not sure what's going on there. I also just discovered that if I set audio to 2.0, the one with AAC play fine. But, as soon as I increase that to 2.1 channels, stuttering reappers with that video file. I can provide a sample for debugging purposes if needed.

Found that out when I had to restart again and Kodi reset all my settings.

Also having issues with mine. :(

Kodi often takes about 3 times before it goes into it, usually quits back to the main screen on the first try and all the icons show as + signs. Netflix just stopped working...

Is there a firmware update coming any time soon to address these little problems and overall performance?

Would also be great if the USB didn't stay powered when the device is turned off, so that external hard drives shut down automatically. :)

i would suggest you refresh and restart your Kodi, make sure install only add-ons your really watching

for Netflix and Crackle, please login to Google Play store and make sure your apps are update to date...

I have zero add ins, I just play media from my external drive. Device is just very laggy it seems... :(

what format you have **example: MP4 or VOB from DVD or BlueRay, **

and what HD you using

I'm finding more and more videos where using any more than 2.0 channels causes immediate video stuttering on the 585. My Firefly episodes are 720p AAC 5.1 channels, and they do it every time. Have to reboot the 585 to get anything playing properly afterwards, as described above.

If anyone has any suggestions for how to solve this so I can get proper 5.1 support without the video problems, I'd be much obliged. If the MyGica devs need a video sample to reproduce this behaviour, I can provide.

If you want, I could try to run it on my 380 (582) and also a 1200 that I'm updating. You could either post it here (I think they only accept rar files here) or pm me a Dropbox or box.com link. I'll push it through my Harmon Karden. No promises on timeframe though, but guaranteed less than 5 days*.

*Inside joke

J