Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

naasking

Run out of space

I've recently run out of space on my ATV585. I have all my content on an NAS, but with all the Kodi artwork downloaded on the device, I have nothing left on the box itself. Is there a standard way to store all of Kodi's data on an external SD card?

My experiments on doing this manually via ssh as I would in ordinary Linux have so far failed:

1. I've copied all the kodi data to my NAS and exported that folder, then mounted it under the Kodi data directory (/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi). Kodi doesn't start.
  2. I've copied all the kodi data to an external ext4-formatted SD card, then mounted that card under /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi. Kodi again doesn't start. Permissions are properly set to user=u0_a65, group=sdcard_r, with read/write/exec only for user+group.
  3. I've copied all the kodi data to an external ext4-formatted SD card, then tried to symlink and hardlink the .kodi directory to the card. Linking apparently isn't permitted or not implemented. This would only seem to be the case if the root file system is fat32, which seems odd, but possible I suppose.

Once I restore the default Kodi settings on the root file system, it starts fine. If I place the default Kodi settings on the card or the NAS and try to start Kodi, it again fails to start. Everytime it just goes immediately to a black screen, and no errors are recorded in the kodi log. Sometimes it quickly exits back to the home screen, sometimes it just stays on the black screen.

I'm not even sure what's going on here. Clearly ext4 support is in the kernel since I'm able to work with ext4 file systems. Presumably Kodi just calls out to the OS for its file system operations as usual, so I'm not sure why the .kodi directory being located on another device would matter, since these are all resolved by the kernel.

In any case, all I'm trying to do is access more than 4GB of space, which is all I really have on this "8GB" device. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I've recently run out of space on my ATV585. I have all my content on an NAS, but with all the Kodi artwork downloaded on the device, I have nothing left on the box itself. Is there a standard way to store all of Kodi's data on an external SD card?

My experiments on doing this manually via ssh as I would in ordinary Linux have so far failed:

1. I've copied all the kodi data to my NAS and exported that folder, then mounted it under the Kodi data directory (/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi). Kodi doesn't start.
  2. I've copied all the kodi data to an external ext4-formatted SD card, then mounted that card under /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi. Kodi again doesn't start. Permissions are properly set to user=u0_a65, group=sdcard_r, with read/write/exec only for user+group.
  3. I've copied all the kodi data to an external ext4-formatted SD card, then tried to symlink and hardlink the .kodi directory to the card. Linking apparently isn't permitted or not implemented. This would only seem to be the case if the root file system is fat32, which seems odd, but possible I suppose.

Once I restore the default Kodi settings on the root file system, it starts fine. If I place the default Kodi settings on the card or the NAS and try to start Kodi, it again fails to start. Everytime it just goes immediately to a black screen, and no errors are recorded in the kodi log. Sometimes it quickly exits back to the home screen, sometimes it just stays on the black screen.

I'm not even sure what's going on here. Clearly ext4 support is in the kernel since I'm able to work with ext4 file systems. Presumably Kodi just calls out to the OS for its file system operations as usual, so I'm not sure why the .kodi directory being located on another device would matter, since these are all resolved by the kernel.

In any case, all I'm trying to do is access more than 4GB of space, which is all I really have on this "8GB" device. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Android 4.4 added a lot of SD Card restrictions, as this is a new thing from Google. So it makes using an SD card as a secondary storage space, difficult.

I am not familiar with what you are trying to, but is there anyone else on here that has done what "naasking" is trying to do? And can help him.

Well, I lost a whole post because this board redirected my preview to the sign in page after my login timed out, and I couldn't go back to copy and paste it.

Anyway, to keep a long story short, I think the path to Kodi is a fuse overlay file system, and not an actual file system. This is why symlinks and hardlinks fail, and why programs always see the underlying file system while my shell sees the various mounts I added. I would have to muck with init.rc or init.amlogic.rc to create the appropriate symlinks and mounts at boot time, which is something I'm loathe to do for fear of rendering my device unbootable.

Honestly, I'd be perfectly happy switching to an openelec firmware. While full Android is nice for access to Netflix, I can get it straight on my TV, so openelec is just fine for my purposes, and what I was using before. I've seen some discussion on here about an openelec release for some of the other boxes, is there a firmware available for the 585? Even if it's a testing firmware that might require some hacking and feedback, I'm perfectly happy to do that as you can see from this thread.

Well, I lost a whole post because this board redirected my preview to the sign in page after my login timed out, and I couldn't go back to copy and paste it.

Anyway, to keep a long story short, I think the path to Kodi is a fuse overlay file system, and not an actual file system. This is why symlinks and hardlinks fail, and why programs always see the underlying file system while my shell sees the various mounts I added. I would have to muck with init.rc or init.amlogic.rc to create the appropriate symlinks and mounts at boot time, which is something I'm loathe to do for fear of rendering my device unbootable.

Honestly, I'd be perfectly happy switching to an openelec firmware. While full Android is nice for access to Netflix, I can get it straight on my TV, so openelec is just fine for my purposes, and what I was using before. I've seen some discussion on here about an openelec release for some of the other boxes, is there a firmware available for the 585? Even if it's a testing firmware that might require some hacking and feedback, I'm perfectly happy to do that as you can see from this thread.

Email me

support@mygica.ca

I can provide you test for Openelec Version 15.1 for ATV 585

Email me

support@mygica.ca

I can provide you test for Openelec Version 15.1 for ATV 585

I'm also interested in this. Mail sent.

Thanks Justin, downloaded openelec, will give it a try.

When is the OTA for the 585 rolling out?

585 OTA update is scheduled after 1800/582

So wont be till about Nov 23rd

Thanks man.

I loaded openelec and the screen size in kodi was off, no sound, laggy. Not sure if it needs some custom add ons to work properly, but I rolled back to the regular firmware from you guys and that just works perfectly out of the box, so will stick with that.

Ideally, for what I use the box for, I want kodi, and for my externally attached hard drive to turn off when I turn off the media player via the remote. Hopefully the USB off for hard drives will be implemented at some point... Otherwise, very happy, plays everything I throw at it and just a great device, with great support. ;)

OTA Should start this week

1800/582/380 started last week.

Since there are so many of those models out there, it takes time for everyone to update.

I will post manual file for 585 once I have it.

1800/582/380 OTA update should have already started

585 update I will have manual file by Monday, with OTA update starting next week as well