horhota

Can the ATV585 record

7 posts in this topic

I just bought a ATV585. Going through the settings and menus I though I saw a reference to a PVR or recording function. Can this model record the content it receives? I think that I also saw a reference to recording in a review of the box on Amazon or ebay or one of those sites. Also, does it have any kind of timer or scheduler so that you can have it turn on and off at specified times? If it has these functions can you tell me where in the menus or settings I will find it?

I just bought a ATV585. Going through the settings and menus I though I saw a reference to a PVR or recording function. Can this model record the content it receives? I think that I also saw a reference to recording in a review of the box on Amazon or ebay or one of those sites. Also, does it have any kind of timer or scheduler so that you can have it turn on and off at specified times? If it has these functions can you tell me where in the menus or settings I will find it?

The ATV 585 cannot record.

And no it does not have a scheduler either.

Thanks for the information and the reply. Now here's a question I would like to get a reasonable answer. Why can't these devices record and do timed recording.? Recording has been around since the days of the VCR and millions of people do it. I bought a Mediasonic Hw-150 digital-analog conveter/PVR for around $70 Canadian and it records Over the Air(i.e. via antenna) broadcasts to an external drive. Now this MyGica, that costs twice as much, around $150Canadian) has 1 gig of memory and 8 gig of storage, far bigger than the HW150 or any VCR - and supposedly all kinds of technology to do wonderful things. If it's so technically advanced why can't it do one of most basic functions used for watching entertainment? I know I'm venting here a bit but this whole idea of android boxes doing fantastic things falls flat on its face if it can't do the basics. With the operating system it has and the memory and the storage it should be able to do it. I've worked in IT for over 20 years and the inability of this Mygica to record just doesn't make sense!

Thanks for the information and the reply. Now here's a question I would like to get a reasonable answer. Why can't these devices record and do timed recording.? Recording has been around since the days of the VCR and millions of people do it. I bought a Mediasonic Hw-150 digital-analog conveter/PVR for around $70 Canadian and it records Over the Air(i.e. via antenna) broadcasts to an external drive. Now this MyGica, that costs twice as much, around $150Canadian) has 1 gig of memory and 8 gig of storage, far bigger than the HW150 or any VCR - and supposedly all kinds of technology to do wonderful things. If it's so technically advanced why can't it do one of most basic functions used for watching entertainment? I know I'm venting here a bit but this whole idea of android boxes doing fantastic things falls flat on its face if it can't do the basics. With the operating system it has and the memory and the storage it should be able to do it. I've worked in IT for over 20 years and the inability of this Mygica to record just doesn't make sense!

Our ATV 586 has recording as well of the OTA channels, but it is suggested to use a External Hard Drive, since OTA when in HD would be about 10GB per 1 Hour of recording, since OTA is not compressed video in HD.

Majority of people use these boxes for streaming, so recording is not really needed anymore. Also recording is usually app based, as having this a full featured OS feature would be a lot of work.

I am just curious, what is it that you would want to record from the box?

As I do not get asked this question very often, so I am wondering.

Thanks for the reply. My understanding of the ATV586 is that it can only record OTA(antenna) broadcasts), similar to devices like Hauppaugue and Mediasonic do. It did not seem, from what I read, that the ATV586 could record streamed data. Why do I want to record, you ask. Well, during the winter I am usually very busy and don't have much time to watch tv. So I record shows - usually the complete season of four or five shows - and then watch them in the summer when I have more time. There are also a lot of times when I'll sit down to watch something only to get interrupted - so I'll just record the rest of the show to watch later. I'll also record special shows or sporting events and those are not usually available after they are over. Now most of the streaming services in Canada that I've looked into have only the past five or six episodes of a television show/series available - if you want anything earlier than that you are out of luck. As well, some of the shows I watch are not available through a streaming service in Canada - and I keep mentioning in Canada because I'm told that there are much better options in the U.S. So recording is really important to me. I found an app on google store called REC but it was awful. Playback was stop and go, watch a bit of the program then stop, miss some of the program, then start again.

Thanks for the reply. My understanding of the ATV586 is that it can only record OTA(antenna) broadcasts), similar to devices like Hauppaugue and Mediasonic do. It did not seem, from what I read, that the ATV586 could record streamed data. Why do I want to record, you ask. Well, during the winter I am usually very busy and don't have much time to watch tv. So I record shows - usually the complete season of four or five shows - and then watch them in the summer when I have more time. There are also a lot of times when I'll sit down to watch something only to get interrupted - so I'll just record the rest of the show to watch later. I'll also record special shows or sporting events and those are not usually available after they are over. Now most of the streaming services in Canada that I've looked into have only the past five or six episodes of a television show/series available - if you want anything earlier than that you are out of luck. As well, some of the shows I watch are not available through a streaming service in Canada - and I keep mentioning in Canada because I'm told that there are much better options in the U.S. So recording is really important to me. I found an app on google store called REC but it was awful. Playback was stop and go, watch a bit of the program then stop, miss some of the program, then start again.

Ok I get your point

I will have to look into whether this is possible or not. I have not seen this out yet for Android though. I know we are working on a REC feature for our HDMI IN box, but that is only REC what you are feeding through the HDMI IN from devices like a Cable Box or Satellite Receiver.

If it is possible you would need an External Hard Drive as the internal memory on the box is to small for recording

What is the mini SD card slot used for if not recording or saving programs.  Also, what's the maximum gigabytes allowed?