Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlyByNight

Digital Rights Management - Update?

Justin,

Just wondering how the firmware testing is going for the DRM Licenses (Play Ready, Widevine or Marlin) that MyGica already has? As I recall you are looking into adding it to the firmware of the Quad Core devices in a future release.

I'm very happy with my 1800e now, there were some growing pains but it seems to be a very solid performer with the current firmware. Truly the only thing I have to complain about is that it doesn't support streaming apps like Crave TV, Shomi, etc. Once the DRM licenses are added to the firmware, it will make this box the only streaming device you need.... But Netflix HD would be nice too. :D Unfortunately I'm still using other devices for Shomi and Netflix HD.

If you need someone to test Shomi, send me the firmware and I will give it a whirl. I'm sure there are others here on the forums willing to test other streaming apps. I no longer have CraveTV, but I can assure you that both CraveTV and Shomi suffer from the same problem where the video starts and then stops, goes to buffering and you are then returned to the main screen of the app, so it is not happening because the device is rooted.... they are just not finding the license.

FBN

Justin,

Just wondering how the firmware testing is going for the DRM Licenses (Play Ready, Widevine or Marlin) that MyGica already has? As I recall you are looking into adding it to the firmware of the Quad Core devices in a future release.

I'm very happy with my 1800e now, there were some growing pains but it seems to be a very solid performer with the current firmware. Truly the only thing I have to complain about is that it doesn't support streaming apps like Crave TV, Shomi, etc. Once the DRM licenses are added to the firmware, it will make this box the only streaming device you need.... But Netflix HD would be nice too. :D Unfortunately I'm still using other devices for Shomi and Netflix HD.

If you need someone to test Shomi, send me the firmware and I will give it a whirl. I'm sure there are others here on the forums willing to test other streaming apps. I no longer have CraveTV, but I can assure you that both CraveTV and Shomi suffer from the same problem where the video starts and then stops, goes to buffering and you are then returned to the main screen of the app, so it is not happening because the device is rooted.... they are just not finding the license.

FBN

I have Crave TV working right now, but it was hard to test since I had to go to a friends house to use there Bell Internet and subscribe to Crave TV through there Fibe TV subscription, since it is limited to only Bell and Partners of Bell. Crave TV opens up to all everyone in January though.

Crave TV requires a license to buy from them, which I am applying for, so not sure how long this will take.

Its being done through a company that provides access to a lot of different GO apps in Canada including Crave TV.

I cannot give out what I used to test for Cravetv because the license I am using to test, is not ours.

Shomi I am testing right now, but now the video plays for about 5-10 seconds then I get an error code, issue with this error code is no one at Shomi knows what it is LOL after talking with there support. I took a log of this error and sent it to our engineer. Will see if we can get it fixed without having to get a license through Shomi.

For Shomi, Geniatech put out Playready firmware for 585 here http://www.geniatech.com/news/s805-quad ... update.asp

Netflix HD even after using the proper Widevine licenses although I am not 100% what resolution is being displayed. I can take a Video Capture of it here and you guys can give your opinion on it. To use there TV Interface and get Full HD you have to actually become certified from Netflix.

I have been emailing them weekly for about 2 months now with no response, so will have to visit there booth at CES to get some better answers.

Not sure why they would not want to respond to emails, since I am willing to spend the $$ to become certified.

Widevine I cannot give out to test either, because to protect our own license we have to actually burn a key through USB to a chip inside the box that locks the Widevine license to each box so it cannot be replicated.

Sounds like progress is being made! This is great! I'm not surprised the CraveTV is working and Shomi is not, as when I had both the CraveTV sometimes would just past the buffering stage and then start working again, however it was very choppy video and audio was badly out of sync. The Shomi, just gave up after the buffering. If Geniatech put out Playready firmware already, then can I assume this would be a slam dunk for MyGica? Or don't you two companies share notes with each other?

Sounds like the implementation of Widevine for NetFlix may be a problem if a box has to be flashed by a key physically by MyGica only.... hopefully you will get some response from NetFlix at the show. Good luck and keep us in the loop!

FBN

Sounds like progress is being made! This is great! I'm not surprised the CraveTV is working and Shomi is not, as when I had both the CraveTV sometimes would just past the buffering stage and then start working again, however it was very choppy video and audio was badly out of sync. The Shomi, just gave up after the buffering. If Geniatech put out Playready firmware already, then can I assume this would be a slam dunk for MyGica? Or don't you two companies share notes with each other?

Sounds like the implementation of Widevine for NetFlix may be a problem if a box has to be flashed by a key physically by MyGica only.... hopefully you will get some response from NetFlix at the show. Good luck and keep us in the loop!

FBN

Geniatech owns MyGica. So they can use all the same licenses that Geniatech owns for MyGica.

Crave TV works because Vmedia has it working and they use Geniatech boxes. But there is still a license required to make this work.

Shomi we are trying to make work without applying for license through Shomi directly, there Android app is having a lot of issues on some devices. I cant even use Shomi on other Android devices I own. I spoke with there tech support and they only recommended Nexus and Samsung devices to me to use for Android right now as they work on making the app work with more devices in the future.

Without help from Shomi there is not much we can do on our side

I have contacted there support about the error messages we get, but they have no answers for me

Went through 3 levels of support and got the same answer from all 3 levels.

I can confirm that after CraveTV made it available to everyone after Jan 2016, it now works on MyGicas

Hi Justin,

I installed the CraveTv app from the Google Play store and everything works, however the app seems to think it is running on an android phone or tablet. Navigation requires a mouse and acts like it expects a touchscreen. Video quality is low. Not sure about some of the other media devices that are supported by CraveTv. I wonder too if they also have the same issues.

What did you experience as far as video quality and navigation?

Thanks,

Ne1

I've been using the CraveTV app for the last week or so and also notice that the navigation is diffcult at times with the "remote mouse". In my view this is an app problem, not a MyGica problem. I have not noticed any video quality problems.

I suggest you use a pc and the CraveTV website to select your "Cravings", then restart the app on the MyGica box and those choices show up right away.

Another thing I did was plug a pc keyboard and mouse into the box and use those when I need to type or move the mouse far. This holds true for other apps too.

Dave

I've been using the CraveTV app for the last week or so and also notice that the navigation is diffcult at times with the "remote mouse". In my view this is an app problem, not a MyGica problem. I have not noticed any video quality problems.

I suggest you use a pc and the CraveTV website to select your "Cravings", then restart the app on the MyGica box and those choices show up right away.

Another thing I did was plug a pc keyboard and mouse into the box and use those when I need to type or move the mouse far. This holds true for other apps too.

Dave

The actually issue with navigation is that the Crave TV app was designed for Android Phones/Tablets with touch screens.

That is why using a mouse makes browsing the app way easier