Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alansnyders

Android 5.1 update?

We have no update available right now for 5.1 on ATV 585

There are not many differences between 4.4 and 5.1 besides changes in the look of menus.

4.4 is still very stable and works well

What is the reason for wanting 5.1?

Hey thx for the reply..

If i can get 5,1 then would be able to download better or more remote friendly netflix and hulu app..ones for android tv..at the moment the wife does not like current apps..

Hey thx for the reply..

If i can get 5,1 then would be able to download better or more remote friendly netflix and hulu app..ones for android tv..at the moment the wife does not like current apps..

I have already tested both of those Android TV apps, and they do not work

They have hardware verification built into them which only works on Nexus, Razer and Nvidia shield TV.

Androids TV OS is very different from the current version of Android that were using.

Mobile and Tablet OS is open source basically, where TV OS is a closed OS which only works for devices that are certified by Google, which also means you must follow googles way and cannot really modify the OS like you can with Tablet and Mobile OS. The only certified TV OS devices right now are the Nexus Player, Razer Forge and Nvidia shield tv, and then all of the Smart TVs with Android TV OS built into it

Kodi 17 will not work on 4.4

This was announced by KODI months ago.

It will only work on Android 5.0 and higher.

We are looking at different options to offer Android 5.1 for most of our older devices.

Right now we have it available for the 1800 and 1900

Is there an ETA on Android 5 for old devices? All the leanback(10 foot) apps require android 5. Without them, the Android TV experience is really lacking.

We are looking at different options to offer Android 5.1 for most of our older devices.

Justin, is the firmware for the 1800 still in Beta? You had mentioned it may be available this week ( not Beta)??

Justin, is the firmware for the 1800 still in Beta? You had mentioned it may be available this week ( not Beta)??

The last 3 things I asked to be added to the final 5.1 update have been put on hold, due to our China office going on national holidays from Oct 1-7

So hope to have it next week once they return.

Hey thx for the reply..

They have hardware verification built into them which only works on Nexus, Razer and Nvidia shield TV.

Androids TV OS is very different from the current version of Android that were using.

Mobile and Tablet OS is open source basically, where TV OS is a closed OS which only works for devices that are certified by Google, which also means you must follow googles way and cannot really modify the OS like you can with Tablet and Mobile OS. The only certified TV OS devices right now are the Nexus Player, Razer Forge and Nvidia shield tv, and then all of the Smart TVs with Android TV OS built into it

It is possible to side load these apps if you have Android 5.1. Please at least let us know whether or not you intend on bringing this version to the ATV585. Then I know if I should consider an RMA, because the out of the box experience with the remote is quote horrible.

Hey thx for the reply..

It is possible to side load these apps if you have Android 5.1. Please at least let us know whether or not you intend on bringing this version to the ATV585. Then I know if I should consider an RMA, because the out of the box experience with the remote is quote horrible.

I have already tried this

It does not work

Google has device verification among other things on majority of the Android TV Store APPs, this includes Netflix and Hulu.

We do not have Android 5.1 available for the 585/600 as AMlogic does not support this for us very well.

We rely on Amlogic for Android OS updates, they did come out with one for the S805 Chipsets but it is an Alpha version of Android and does not work good at all.

They have told us they have no future plans to come out with an updated version.

This is a huge let down....box is less than a year old and no longer able to run the latest version of Kodi which is all I use it for now. Hope a 5.1 update comes or this is my last MyGica product.

There is one option I have to bring 5.1 onto 585, which is just use the Amlogic 5.1 SDK they have available and release it the way it is

We would just need to make our ethernet and wifi drivers work.
This would be stock Android only though, so it might be buggy.

I will have to discuss with the team and see if this is possible first.

I would take a stock android update to 5.1 as is just to get Kodi 17 to work. Just make it a manual download for people who want the option, even if it never comes as an OTA update.

I only use the Kodi App on the player. So it is not going to be used for a lot of other things. So it would be great if you could get a clean 5.1 upgrade for it.  That would then also allow for future Kodi updates after Kodi 17