Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

darrylg

Kodi 17: Android 5.0 Lollipop (or later) as minimum

This might be problematic.

Android 5.0 Lollipop (or later) as minimum

Over the years the Android platform started to mature and catch up to the other platforms regarding capabilities. This also means that we can drop all the custom code we had to add in the beginning to get Kodi running at all as that’s now becoming obsolete. One of those from back in the days was libStageFright which we dropped in a previous release and was replaced by the standard MediaCodec from Android. With v17 we have started to clean up all the old implementations which sadly also means we had to set the minimum Android version to at least 5.0 Lollipop. It’s uncertain at this time if we even hove to go higher and set minimum to Android 6.0 Marshmallow as this contains certain features we need to improve Kodi. For now you are safe if you at least have Android 5.0 Don’t worry you can keep using Kodi v16 on all previous Android versions however you just can't upgrade to a newer Kodi version.

This might be problematic.

Android 5.0 Lollipop (or later) as minimum

Over the years the Android platform started to mature and catch up to the other platforms regarding capabilities. This also means that we can drop all the custom code we had to add in the beginning to get Kodi running at all as that’s now becoming obsolete. One of those from back in the days was libStageFright which we dropped in a previous release and was replaced by the standard MediaCodec from Android. With v17 we have started to clean up all the old implementations which sadly also means we had to set the minimum Android version to at least 5.0 Lollipop. It’s uncertain at this time if we even hove to go higher and set minimum to Android 6.0 Marshmallow as this contains certain features we need to improve Kodi. For now you are safe if you at least have Android 5.0 Don’t worry you can keep using Kodi v16 on all previous Android versions however you just can't upgrade to a newer Kodi version.

We are aware of this

We will be offering Android 5.1 very soon.

It should be offered in the Beta section by Monday.

Once we work out any bugs we find, it should be official within 3-4 weeks.

Android 5.1 is the only up to date version of Android that we can offer right now.

We rely on our chipset supplier AMlogic to provide us with OS updates.

They have only provided an update to 5.1 which can be used on the following models 1800/582/380/1900/585 and then released once we finish working on it.

I don't think AMlogic have any plans to offer any new OS updates after 5.1 for the S8XX series of chipsets which are used on the models above.

We are aware of this

Android 5.1 is the only up to date version of Android that we can offer right now.

They have only provided an update to 5.1 which can be used on the following models 1800/582/380/1900/585 and then released once we finish working on it.

I don't think AMlogic have any plans to offer any new OS updates after 5.1 for the S8XX series of chipsets which are used on the models above.

I look forward to testing!

Let's hope they don't raise the bar to Android 6.0 as they hinted.

-Darryl

We are aware of this

I look forward to testing!

Let's hope they don't raise the bar to Android 6.0 as they hinted.

-Darryl

I just posted it earlier today

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=4563

So the bottom line is stay with Kit Kat 4.4 until Lollipop 5.1 is out and proven stable. I don't want to see any remote issues with Lollipop 5.1 as I have the newer remote with the keyboard on the back of it. Admins, keep us posted please.

So the bottom line is stay with Kit Kat 4.4 until Lollipop 5.1 is out and proven stable. I don't want to see any remote issues with Lollipop 5.1 as I have the newer remote with the keyboard on the back of it. Admins, keep us posted please.

We will always support all remotes in our Official Firmware updates.

Hi, is there any news on a Lollipop 5.1 version (or Higher) for my MYGica 582 (Have 7 of them) I would really like to upgrade to Kodi 17.

Thank you.

On 4/8/2017 at 1:20 PM, WynandW said:

Hi, is there any news on a Lollipop 5.1 version (or Higher) for my MYGica 582 (Have 7 of them) I would really like to upgrade to Kodi 17.

Thank you.

17 is not my friend on 1800s wait for 18 to come out or just stay on 16.1

On 4/8/2017 at 4:20 PM, WynandW said:

Thank you.

We currently do not have Android 5.1 or higher available for the 582

You can however use our Kodi 17 fork by going here

On 4/17/2017 at 3:09 PM, WynandW said:

Thank you Justin, will give it a go

Please let me know how it works out

Thanks