Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pazzoppe

Remote control MyGica585 without monitor and wifi?

Is there a way to control the AT585 without a monitor or a wifi router?

I have two ATV585's: one for my video system and one for my audio system. Controlling the video box is no problem because it connects to an LCD.

The audio version is less useful because it only can be used with a monitor or via a remote app on my smartphone/tablet.

When the MyGica/Kodi is operational everything works smooth, but after several days there always is something (a software-, power- or wifi hiccup) which eliminates the remote control option. I use the MyGica with one 128G USB stick.

The Kodi app can be controlled via smartphone, but the Mygica cannot. After a power down, the Mygica does not restart the Kodi player so remote control via smartphone is no longer an option. The only option is to connect a monitor and use the remote to restart Kodi. This is very inconvenient.

If the wifi isn't available (router signal near the Mygica isn't very reliable) there is no way at all to control this box unless, again, I hook up a monitor.

I've checked the internet but have not found a solution. I see several options to resolve this issue:

1) Allow full (two-way) control of the MyGica box via an android app. Does this app exist from Mygica or are there third party apps with this capability?

2) Enable control of the Mygica box (or the Kodi app) via bluetooth (the same that handles the keyboard/remote). Is this type of control available?

3) Enable the Mygica to function as standalone wifi access point (independent from other routers), and create an app which allows full control.

4) Enable the MyGica to automatically start the Kodi app upon reboot.

At present, given above limitations, I would not recommend using the MyGica for audio systems. It is far easier to play music directly from an (old) smartphone or tablet with extra usb memory than going through the hassle of controlling the MyGica box.

Any suggestions (also for third-party apps) are welcome!

Well, we're six months down the road without a solution.

I conclude that the MyGica 585 is useless for audio. I don't expect this to be different for any of the other MyGica boxes.
The Kodi and XBMC players never seem to be able to manage more than a few thousand audio files and never appear to be able to do proper synchronization (which takes a very long time anyhow). The multiple smartphone remotes, from the 'official' kodi remote to the yatse version, are always somewhere out of sync as well. Direct control of kodi via the web (port 8080) also has its flaws and limitations.

In absence of a MyGica remote control you need to rely on what's out there for kodi. Things could be a lot better if MyGica would ever create an app to do full remote control.

Last but probably most important: this MyGica box has a very poor audio output so don't expect to be able to get good quality sound from it. There is permanent interference of high-frequency noise in the background caused by the processor and other internal electronics (e.g. wifi). I've tried everything from high quality audio cables to ripple-free mains supplies without avail. This is an item never mentioned for these type of boxes. Raspberry Pis are equally poor in this respect.

If you can live with the poor quality sound and if you have a monitor/tv connected this MyGica box offers a cheap solution. If you're looking for a hifi audio solution with high quality digitized audio (flac) it is better to consider a NAS (HD or solid state) solution with high-quality USB/DAC box.

A PS to my initial message:

Automatically booting the Kodi (or any other app) on MyGica can be done with a free Startup app. Remote control is up to some extent possible with Teamviewer-like apps. Despite these workarounds to fix the minimal capabilities of the ore MyGica software it remains a cumbersome solution.

Hi Pazzoppe,

I am a bit new around the forums, but let me get this straight to make sure we are on the same page.

You are hoping for a teamviewer style remote application? We are exploring this actually and it is in development. While I wish there was a quick and fast option for controlling the app from a local or WAN network situation, there doesn't seem to be anything at the moment. If there is, please tell me :)

A remote MyGica access app would be brilliant!

This will circumvent the many flaws that the various 3rd party built remote functions of the apps running on the MyGica have.

For example: The Kodi app works reasonably well but usually has library hiccup problems after  a couple of days. When it cannot find a music file it displays a message, but this is not transferred by the many remote apps. The only way to fix this is either to have a monitor hooked up to the MyGica all the time, which is silly for audio, or to have a teamviewer-style remote directly on the MyGica box.

I have not been able to make teamviewer app operational because the MyGica/Android box does not allow screen sharing. I'm sure this can be fixed.
In fact, it might be easier if MyGica fixes this problem thereby enabling several teamviewer-like apps to function rather than reinventing this software.

I'd prefer it if the MyGica team focuses on having a smooth android solution and fixes other bugs such as the fact that you need to reboot to move back from HDMI interface to Video-Audio output, or creates a USB interface that supports a USB-DAC box. This last option would allow high-quality audio playback for a fraction of the money that some of the audio network player companies charge.

My ideal for audio would be to have a media player app with an SQL-lite database running on the MyGica, allowing standard html5 web browsing from any tablet/smartphone to search music files that can be tagged any way the user likes, irrespective of the mp3tag structure. With a good DAC this offers a perfect audio play solution.

Cheers

On 12/10/2016 at 9:59 AM, Pazzoppe said:

A remote MyGica access app would be brilliant!

This will circumvent the many flaws that the various 3rd party built remote functions of the apps running on the MyGica have.

For example: The Kodi app works reasonably well but usually has library hiccup problems after  a couple of days. When it cannot find a music file it displays a message, but this is not transferred by the many remote apps. The only way to fix this is either to have a monitor hooked up to the MyGica all the time, which is silly for audio, or to have a teamviewer-style remote directly on the MyGica box.

I have not been able to make teamviewer app operational because the MyGica/Android box does not allow screen sharing. I'm sure this can be fixed.
In fact, it might be easier if MyGica fixes this problem thereby enabling several teamviewer-like apps to function rather than reinventing this software.

I'd prefer it if the MyGica team focuses on having a smooth android solution and fixes other bugs such as the fact that you need to reboot to move back from HDMI interface to Video-Audio output, or creates a USB interface that supports a USB-DAC box. This last option would allow high-quality audio playback for a fraction of the money that some of the audio network player companies charge.

My ideal for audio would be to have a media player app with an SQL-lite database running on the MyGica, allowing standard html5 web browsing from any tablet/smartphone to search music files that can be tagged any way the user likes, irrespective of the mp3tag structure. With a good DAC this offers a perfect audio play solution.

Cheers

Please try installing the quick support add-on as well for teamviewer. I saw it working yesterday. There is a way to get teamviewer to do screen sharing and we are working on another option as well.

Stay tuned ....

Thanks for this advice! Teamviewer works like a charm through the Quick Support app on MyGica. This solves the problem of the flawed remote apps. I look forward to your MyGica remote option in the near future.

I only have one item left on MyGica, which is the poor quality audio coming from the DAC. This could be due to the DAC itself or interference from wifi or processor frequencies. Would be superb if a next model would have an improved 24-bit/96-kHz (or preferably higher) decoder. These chipsets are only few dollars nowadays so won't contribute to a much higher MyGica price. For the time being I use the Kodi app on MyGica to stream to Chromecast which sounds better and does not have the wifi/processor interference noise.

Cheers

7 hours ago, Pazzoppe said:

Thanks for this advice! Teamviewer works like a charm through the Quick Support app on MyGica. This solves the problem of the flawed remote apps. I look forward to your MyGica remote option in the near future.

I only have one item left on MyGica, which is the poor quality audio coming from the DAC. This could be due to the DAC itself or interference from wifi or processor frequencies. Would be superb if a next model would have an improved 24-bit/96-kHz (or preferably higher) decoder. These chipsets are only few dollars nowadays so won't contribute to a much higher MyGica price. For the time being I use the Kodi app on MyGica to stream to Chromecast which sounds better and does not have the wifi/processor interference noise.

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will look into this for future models

If you are looking for a good mobile remote to use with KODI

Give Yatse a try, this is a very nice remote app for KODI.

One issue with Teamviewer Quick Support is that remote access needs to be confirmed on the MyGica box. For this confirmation, the MyGica box needs to be connected to a monitor with mouse control. I am operating the MyGica only for audio files so don't want a connected monitor. The only workaround is to connect a monitor and replace one of my audio USB sticks with the remote USB dongle, set up Teamviewer, accept connection on the MyGica box, disconnect the monitor en replace the remote dongle with the USB audio stick (I need two 128G sticks for my audio collection, over time I will buy a 256G single stick but these are currently more expensive than the MyGica box itself). This results in Kodi having to re-index the second USB port.

Altogether this is cumbersome, so I use an interim solution with a NAS media player and Chromecast until there is a proper remote on the MyGica.

I'm looking forward to any new developments by MyGica in this area.

Yatse is fairly nice for the Kodi player functions but isn't helpful for controlling the Kodi app when its locks up. A remote access to MyGica would solve this problem.