Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jeroenlambregts

ATV582: no HDMI passthrough of DTS-MA HD and Dolby True-HD?

I have a receiver capable of decoding HD audio formats such as DTS-MA HD, Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Atmos.

In the audio settings of the ATV582 I set it to HDMI out. Whatever setting I try i KODI (16.0) only the core channels are put through to my receiver (DTS and DD).

I also tried the beta version of the new Android: no luck

I downloaded VLC Mediaplayer: no luck

I tried the builtin 4K player: same result

I have firmware version 20160720

The movies are located on a locally attached USD disk.

Why is de HD audio not set through?? Even my super ancient Western Digital mediaplayer supports this!

I have a receiver capable of decoding HD audio formats such as DTS-MA HD, Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Atmos.

In the audio settings of the ATV582 I set it to HDMI out. Whatever setting I try i KODI (16.0) only the core channels are put through to my receiver (DTS and DD).

I also tried the beta version of the new Android: no luck

I downloaded VLC Mediaplayer: no luck

I tried the builtin 4K player: same result

I have firmware version 20160720

The movies are located on a locally attached USD disk.

Why is de HD audio not set through?? Even my super ancient Western Digital mediaplayer supports this!

Can you post the serial # of your 582?

It should start with ATV582 or MV or MG or GV

Can be found on the bottom of your box.

Can you post the serial # of your 582?

It should start with ATV582 or MV or MG or GV

Can be found on the bottom of your box.

the serial of my ATV582 is: MV58215110835, I bought it last weekend.

A big help would be if other people could confirm that they HAVE working passthrough of HD audio.

I also changed HDMI-cable from the Western Digital TV Live (the device that DOES work with HD audio passthrough.

In KODI I see on screen that the logo 'DTS HD Master Audio' is displayed, so the right audiotrack is selected. For the settings in KODI [system][settings][Audio Output] I selected 'Enable Passthrough' and 'DD and DTS capable receiver'.

Still only the core DTS track is sent to the receiver (for your information my receiver is a Pioneer VSX-1130)

I also noticed this thread (viewtopic.php?t=2032&p=6092) from 2014 (!!!) with basically the same question but no answer. This really suprises me because in my opinion a simple 'yes' or 'no' would be sufficient.

If the ATV582 is NOT capable of bistreaming HD-audio I'd like to know this, so I can return the box to the store: It's of no use for me then.

(to be clear: this is not related to KODI capable of HD-audio. I'm happy to use any other app as long as it works)

I also noticed this thread (viewtopic.php?t=2032&p=6092) from 2014 (!!!) with basically the same question but no answer. This really suprises me because in my opinion a simple 'yes' or 'no' would be sufficient.

If the ATV582 is NOT capable of bistreaming HD-audio I'd like to know this, so I can return the box to the store: It's of no use for me then.

(to be clear: this is not related to KODI capable of HD-audio. I'm happy to use any other app as long as it works)

If it is 5.1 Dolby Audio, then it should decode without issues.

7.1 Audio will not work.

Hello Justin, thank you for you reply.

Could you elaborate a bit more on your statement?

Because I'm sure the hardware is more than capable of handling HD-audio. Is it a Android limitation? Because I know there are Android boxes that are capable. See for example

. It shows the Open Hour playing a demo-clip and the receiver successfully decoding Dolby Thru-HD.

I'm not talking about 5.1 or 7.1 channels but HD Audio (a lossy core audio track combined with a lossless additional track).

The VLC Player and 4K Movie player is/was developed for Android tablets and phones, it does not make provision for an Android environment with HDMI pass thru and by default down scales the audio to simple stereo, using any of these kind of apps gives the same result thus it is limitations within the Apps rather than the platform. Personally I find it strange that VLC specifically does not allow for HDMI pass-thru as it allows network shares which almost none of the other Apps have.

In Kodi System settings the number of output channels should be set to 2 for proper pass-thru, and where you select Dolby and DTS enabled receiver, do not select any decoding options. Nor DPS higher up.

I have a Sony receiver capable of playing all the formats and have tested it using downloaded files from http://www.demo-world.eu/, Kodi showed the correct audio channel as well as it played back as expected on my Sony receiver showing the correct mode.