Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D-Spayre

Won't Boot Solid Blue

Hi,

This is my 12th box that after taking an update the box will not boot back up.  Some I could get back into recovery mode and reflash and some I can not. This seems like a common issue from what I'm seeing.  I've sent some back for repair.  There has to be a way for me to fix this without sending it back as it was only a software update that caused the issue.  I've tried everything that I could find.  Even tried building a RS232 interface but all that I get is garbage on the screen (on the DB9 Female I have RX=2, TX=3 and GND=5).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

On 11/10/2016 at 9:31 PM, D-Spayre said:

Hi,

This is my 12th box that after taking an update the box will not boot back up.  Some I could get back into recovery mode and reflash and some I can not. This seems like a common issue from what I'm seeing.  I've sent some back for repair.  There has to be a way for me to fix this without sending it back as it was only a software update that caused the issue.  I've tried everything that I could find.  Even tried building a RS232 interface but all that I get is garbage on the screen (on the DB9 Female I have RX=2, TX=3 and GND=5).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Hi,

Where are you getting the update from? Was this OTA that caused this issue or firmware that you have loaded onto an sd card?

Hi,

It was OTA.  It started to install then got stuck.  I left it for over an hour then had no choice then to unplug it.  Now can't even get to the recovery screen. :(

Thanks

7 minutes ago, D-Spayre said:

Hi,

It was OTA.  It started to install then got stuck.  I left it for over an hour then had no choice then to unplug it.  Now can't even get to the recovery screen. :(

Thanks

You mentioned that this is the 12th box you had this happen to. When was the span of this happening? 

Although it seem to be taking forever, do not unplug the box. Sometimes the file is very large and the server may be overloaded. I realize this is sort of too late for this box.

At this point, does anything appear on the screen while powered on? What lights are on?

It seems like the batch from earlier this year.  I've purchased over 400 of these boxes so far, 12 having issues is pretty good. :)

I've tested a lot of different brands and by far the MyGica's are the best I've come across.

When I power it up its getting a signal from the HDMI as my TV does go black instead of saying "No Video Signal".  I built a R232 cable but can't seem to get it to produce anything but garbage.

Thanks

11 hours ago, D-Spayre said:

I built a R232 cable but can't seem to get it to produce anything but garbage.

What is your console speed set at?  By default, *most* appliances use 9600baud and a default COM config is usually setup like this also.  If I recall correctly, the MyGica required 115200baud.

Try 115200baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity and no flow control.

7 hours ago, DVScuba said:

What is your console speed set at?  By default, *most* appliances use 9600baud and a default COM config is usually setup like this also.  If I recall correctly, the MyGica required 115200baud.

Try 115200baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity and no flow control.

Thanks DVScuba,

I've tried all those settings with no luck. :(

Tested it with an old XP machine and a Windows 7 machine. 

Do you have a proper RS232 pin out from end to end?  That's the only thing I can think of.

Thanks

21 hours ago, D-Spayre said:

It seems like the batch from earlier this year.  I've purchased over 400 of these boxes so far, 12 having issues is pretty good. :)

I've tested a lot of different brands and by far the MyGica's are the best I've come across.

When I power it up its getting a signal from the HDMI as my TV does go black instead of saying "No Video Signal".  I built a R232 cable but can't seem to get it to produce anything but garbage.

Thanks

You had me a bit scared. I thought you had purchased 12, and all 12 had this happen :o

Forgive me for not going through your post history to try and get a better understanding of your knowledge. 

You are right, 12 out of 400 is pretty darn good IMO.

I will admit that some of the stuff you guys are dealing with is a little above my understanding. Im just a measly stand in for Justin while he is away :) This situation though seems like its definitely a hardware issue that isnt going to be fixed by a suggestion through a forum. As I am not sure how your purchasing is set up with us, it is a bit difficult for me to try and provide a quick solution to replacement. If you send me a PM with your details, I can try and figure something out while Justin is away.

1 hour ago, MyGica Support said:

You had me a bit scared. I thought you had purchased 12, and all 12 had this happen :o

Forgive me for not going through your post history to try and get a better understanding of your knowledge. 

You are right, 12 out of 400 is pretty darn good IMO.

I will admit that some of the stuff you guys are dealing with is a little above my understanding. Im just a measly stand in for Justin while he is away :) This situation though seems like its definitely a hardware issue that isnt going to be fixed by a suggestion through a forum. As I am not sure how your purchasing is set up with us, it is a bit difficult for me to try and provide a quick solution to replacement. If you send me a PM with your details, I can try and figure something out while Justin is away.

:D No worries, I'll shoot you a private message.  Thanks

On 16/11/2016 at 2:08 PM, D-Spayre said:

Thanks DVScuba,

I've tried all those settings with no luck. :(

Tested it with an old XP machine and a Windows 7 machine. 

Do you have a proper RS232 pin out from end to end?  That's the only thing I can think of.

Thanks

Apologies for my late reply. Moving takes a while to get setup again... :S  If you still need help with the serial port, continue reading.

I built my RS232 interface on a breadboard around a MAX232 chip. If I can find the box I packed it in, I'll take a picture and post it. I remember I had to swap some pinouts around for my version of the board versus what I was able to find in online information/images. If you're getting anything at all (even garbage) in your console screen, then you've most likely got the right TX,RX,VCC and GND.  If you swap the TX and RX you should get nothing at all.  Try that to be sure. You won't blow anything up.

I would definitely make sure you try some different console speeds and be sure to match it in the windows system as well as your console application settings. Depending on your console application, they don't always override the system settings as you would expect.

Let me know if you still want to try working via the serial port.

DV

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 0:09 PM, DVScuba said:

Apologies for my late reply. Moving takes a while to get setup again... :S  If you still need help with the serial port, continue reading.

I built my RS232 interface on a breadboard around a MAX232 chip. If I can find the box I packed it in, I'll take a picture and post it. I remember I had to swap some pinouts around for my version of the board versus what I was able to find in online information/images. If you're getting anything at all (even garbage) in your console screen, then you've most likely got the right TX,RX,VCC and GND.  If you swap the TX and RX you should get nothing at all.  Try that to be sure. You won't blow anything up.

I would definitely make sure you try some different console speeds and be sure to match it in the windows system as well as your console application settings. Depending on your console application, they don't always override the system settings as you would expect.

Let me know if you still want to try working via the serial port.

DV

Thanks DV,

I still have no luck with serial port. :(  Tried multiple PC and nothing.  If you have anymore ideas please throw them my way. :)

Thanks

I built a R232 cable but can't seem to get it to produce anything but garbage.

Can you post a pic of your serial cable or a schematic of what your circuit is?

DV