MyGica Support

1900AC/1800E 5.1 Firmware November 23 2016

This is good.

Is it possible to create the firmware so the box doesn't have to be reset? I find it very annoying and frustrating to have to redo all my settings across my three boxes. Do you think for the stable release there will be no factory reset? There has to be a way to do this. My windows computer does updates all the time but never resets. It would take me probably half a day to get all my settings back to how they were.

And why is the core fix put on a separate patch file? Why not put them both on the same file? Also the update should automatically root the device. Your boxes were rooted before and you guys unrooted them for some reason. There's so many apps that don't work when the device is unrooted. It doesn't make sense to have to upgrade the firmware and then apply two additional patches after. And you guys really have to get rid of the factory reset. You should be trying to make this as easy for your customers as possible. And why not make the update over the air (ota)? To have your customers load the firmware, plus two additional patches onto an sd card, install them, and have their box reset, just to make it function properly, seems absolutely insane. This has to be made easier.

You guys should merge the files together and have them not reset the box. And you should put the files on a designated webpage so they can be located easily. And put any necessary notes in a description under or beside the file that you want people to know about. I don't see any reason to make the core fix a separate patch. Any person who wants what they paid for will want the core fix in the firmware update file. It seems like the developers always assume these things are no problem for customers because it's easy for them. I imagine the factory reset is put in for new boxes you update prior to putting them on the market. But what about existing customers? I recommend you create two master firmware files, one rooted, one unrooted, for if people want their boxes unrooted for whatever reason. So much simpler. Then put them on a designated webpage. Multiple patches, and searching through 17 pages of a forum to find what you want is just crazy.

Two files:

a) Rooted android 5.1 - with the core fix in it and no factory reset

b)Unrooted android 5.1 - with the core fix in it and no factory reset

17 hours ago, Otherworld said:

Great news! 

Question about the standby issue. Is it resolved? You say you did the best you could. But what does that mean exactly? 

Thanks again Justin. 

We worked at this as much as possible is what I mean.

If this problem still continues for you, then we cannot fix it anymore.

1 hour ago, Frankie said:

You guys should merge the files together and have them not reset the box. And you should put the files on a designated webpage so they can be located easily. And put any necessary notes in a description under or beside the file that you want people to know about. I don't see any reason to make the core fix a separate patch. Any person who wants what they paid for will want the core fix in the firmware update file. It seems like the developers always assume these things are no problem for customers because it's easy for them. I imagine the factory reset is put in for new boxes you update prior to putting them on the market. But what about existing customers? I recommend you create two master firmware files, one rooted, one unrooted, for if people want their boxes unrooted for whatever reason. So much simpler. Then put them on a designated webpage. Multiple patches, and searching through 17 pages of a forum to find what you want is just crazy.

Two files:

a) Rooted android 5.1 - with the core fix in it and no factory reset

b)Unrooted android 5.1 - with the core fix in it and no factory reset

I will answer all of your questions on this one post.

1. Their are 2 files because these are just pure beta files.  
I got them to make the On Demand patch after the FW was made, as you can see by the 2 different dates
The next update will have the On Demand patch included with it.

Once we have an official release I will put it into a proper section for downloading.
This will only require the user to install 1 update and that's it.

2. I will get 2 different firmwares made then, one rooted and another unrooted.
The rooted one I will try to make sure it don't factory reset.
I think it will just be a patch file though.

Your comment about so many apps do not work because the box is not rooted, I would have to disagree with. 
9/10 users do not even use the box for root features to begin with.
There are a ton of streaming apps that do not work because the box is rooted, HBO GO and Showmax are good examples of this.

3. These have to be manual update files as they are being left as Beta Files only and not official firmware
However the next release will be our most stable beta firmware, so it will be good to use for pretty much everyone

4. We factory reset because we cannot transfer apps/settings etc when coming from 4.4 to 5.1
We also factory reset because these are beta files, so they are meant to start fresh.

I do not think we will have another update after the next one, so if you switch all of your boxes to the next update you will be fine.
We have spent a lot of time on these updates for all of our older models to satisfy everyone's requests, so therefore after the next update I do not foresee us releasing anymore updates for Android 5.1 for 1900AC/1800/582/380

9 minutes ago, Justin said:

I will answer all of your questions on this one post.

1. Their are 2 files because these are just pure beta files.  
I got them to make the On Demand patch after the FW was made, as you can see by the 2 different dates
The next update will have the On Demand patch included with it.

Once we have an official release I will put it into a proper section for downloading.
This will only require the user to install 1 update and that's it.

2. I will get 2 different firmwares made then, one rooted and another unrooted.
The rooted one I will try to make sure it don't factory reset.
I think it will just be a patch file though.

Your comment about so many apps do not work because the box is not rooted, I would have to disagree with. 
9/10 users do not even use the box for root features to begin with.
There are a ton of streaming apps that do not work because the box is rooted, HBO GO and Showmax are good examples of this.

3. These have to be manual update files as they are being left as Beta Files only and not official firmware
However the next release will be our most stable beta firmware, so it will be good to use for pretty much everyone

4. We factory reset because we cannot transfer apps/settings etc when coming from 4.4 to 5.1
We also factory reset because these are beta files, so they are meant to start fresh.

I do not think we will have another update after the next one, so if you switch all of your boxes to the next update you will be fine.
We have spent a lot of time on these updates for all of our older models to satisfy everyone's requests, so therefore after the next update I do not foresee us releasing anymore updates for Android 5.1 for 1900AC/1800/582/380

Okay. My experience has been apps not working on unrooted. Sixasis Controller app and any reboot app, require the device be rooted. But if people need both then doing so makes sense.

I now understand the need for a factory reset. But to just upgrade 5.1 firmware to the latest version doesn't require a factory reset as you point out. Maybe creating two more additional upgrade firmware files is the best route to go for rooted and unrooted users already on 5.1 so they don't have to factory reset?

You say it will probably be a patch file. Does this matter? It will still function the exact same as if you do the factory reset right?

I'll wait for the stable release to come out. And if you can do the upgrade ota for people already on 5.1 then that's even better.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Justin said:

With all due respect, the time you spent on these updates IS TO FIX THE PROBLEMS THAT ORIGINALLY CAME WITH THE PRODUCT.  These updates were not to benefit us such as additional new features but to fix issues in a shipping product.  There is NO way that this product should have been shipped with all these outstanding issues (mac address, slow rendering, on/off,  volume control etc) just to name a few.  Where was the quality control?

If there was a car with faulty brakes, and they could reproduce it in the same model car what do you think would be the end result?  It's called a RECALL.  Something that MyGica should've done.  Offer to fix the issue and not complain about time spent trying to fix the issue, replace the unit with a working one free of defect or reimburse the customer.

I appreciate the time spent on resolving the issue.  So far so good but still slow on boot with choppy graphics which none of my previous MyGica units exhibit.  But please don't say no updates cause of time spent on trying to fix issues on the unit when the unit itself (1900AC) should not have been shipped in its condition.

As far as the 1800,582 and 380 this update should not apply to them cause this is a 1900AC issue as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by madmitch

13 minutes ago, madmitch said:

With all due respect, the time you spent on these updates IS TO FIX THE PROBLEMS THAT ORIGINALLY CAME WITH THE PRODUCT.  These updates were not to benefit us such as additional new features but to fix issues in a shipping product.  There is NO way that this product should have been shipped with all these outstanding issues (mac address, slow rendering, on/off,  volume control etc) just to name a few.  Where was the quality control?

If there was a car with faulty brakes, and they could reproduce it in the same model car what do you think would be the end result?  It's called a RECALL.  Something that MyGica should've done.  Offer to fix the issue and not complain about time spent trying to fix the issue, replace the unit with a working one free of defect or reimburse the customer.

I appreciate the time spent on resolving the issue.  So far so good but still slow on boot with choppy graphics which none of my previous MyGica units exhibit.  But please don't say no updates cause of time spent on trying to fix issues on the unit when the unit itself (1900AC) should not have been shipped in its condition.

As far as the 1800,582 and 380 this update should not apply to them cause this is a 1900AC issue as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with what you're saying for the most part except the last sentence. The two 1800e boxes I bought over the past couple months had 5.1 already installed on them. And I think the older models deserve the full right to completely function on 5.1. I personally prefer 1800e over 1900ac because it has the full size sd card slot, specs are minimally different, and it's cheaper. The biggest thing I can't get is how long these things take to fix. And whenever there's a new firmware release that's better than the last it's like a huge breakthrough for mygica. Maybe I don't know enough about the technology, but I think it should really just take weeks to correct issues like this at the most, not months and months. But I agree these boxes should be fully functional to standard upon their purchase.

I don't mean to be overly negative about mygica, but I do feel you guys can do things a lot better. Lots of room for improvement. Constructive criticism. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Frankie said:

I don't mean to be overly negative about mygica, but I do feel you guys can do things a lot better. Lots of room for improvement. Constructive criticism. 

Totally agree.  I thought this was isolated to the 1900AC?  It's not?

1 minute ago, madmitch said:

No, 1800e 5.1 is running on the same firmware file as 1900ac 5.1, so all updates and issues apply to both units. And he said the same firmware file can be used on 582 and 380, but they lag upon start up. I only own 1800e boxes though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, madmitch said:

This was to fix issues with 1900AC 
But the same FW also worked on the 1800
So if it was used on the 1900ac or 1800, you would get the same issues on both.

After the release + patch I posted yesterday, users with 380/582 can use this as well

Just now, Justin said:

This was to fix issues with 1900AC 
But the same FW also worked on the 1800
So if it was used on the 1900ac or 1800, you would get the same issues on both.

After the release + patch I posted yesterday, users with 380/582 can use this as well

So far the 1900AC hasn't exhibited any issues other than choppy boot up.  It is way faster than before.  It's very noticeable.  I'll let you know if the on/off issues still exist.

4 minutes ago, madmitch said:

So far the 1900AC hasn't exhibited any issues other than choppy boot up.  It is way faster than before.  It's very noticeable.  I'll let you know if the on/off issues still exist.

Keep me posted.

On the 1800 + 582 + 1900ac that I have tried this on I do not get this choppy boot up so far.

Upgraded my 1800E with the newest firmware and the mac address kept changing everytime the box rebooted. I used the recommended patch (update_Mygica_ATV1900AC_5.1_NoNetflixHD_patch_20170517.img) and now not only does the box have a different mac address when it reboots sometimes it will not grab an ip address at all and the only way for it to grab an ip is to factory reset the box. 

Just now, Justin said:

Keep me posted.

On the 1800 + 582 + 1900ac that I have tried this on I do not get this choppy boot up so far.

I had to revert to the Lollipop version 5.02  (don't know the firmware version) because performance was so bad.  5.02 had all cores enabled to performance which was better.  Now that I'm on this newer version performance is up to where I expected it to be (except for the choppy boot)

4 minutes ago, irishlad said:

Upgraded my 1800E with the newest firmware and the mac address kept changing everytime the box rebooted. I used the recommended patch (update_Mygica_ATV1900AC_5.1_NoNetflixHD_patch_20170517.img) and now not only does the box have a different mac address when it reboots sometimes it will not grab an ip address at all and the only way for it to grab an ip is to factory reset the box. 

I recommend this instead
I have tried over 6 boxes, none have the Mac Address issue.

21 hours ago, Frankie said:

Okay. My experience has been apps not working on unrooted. Sixasis Controller app and any reboot app, require the device be rooted. But if people need both then doing so makes sense.

I now understand the need for a factory reset. But to just upgrade 5.1 firmware to the latest version doesn't require a factory reset as you point out. Maybe creating two more additional upgrade firmware files is the best route to go for rooted and unrooted users already on 5.1 so they don't have to factory reset?

You say it will probably be a patch file. Does this matter? It will still function the exact same as if you do the factory reset right?

I'll wait for the stable release to come out. And if you can do the upgrade ota for people already on 5.1 then that's even better.

Hey Justin,

Didn't get an answer from you on my last question (third paragraph above).

And what kind a release system do you have set up? Will the next release also be beta, and then the one after that will be stable? And when do you think the next releases will come out which will merge the firmware and patches into one file that won't reset your box for existing 5.1 users?

2 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Hey Justin,

Didn't get an answer from you on my last question (third paragraph above).

And what kind a release system do you have set up? Will the next release also be beta, and then the one after that will be stable? And when do you think the next releases will come out which will merge the firmware and patches into one file that won't reset your box for existing 5.1 users?

I think the easiest way is to release just a non rooted firmware, and then a root patch pile to be installed after.
This patch file wont factory reset.

Our release system will be our downloads section and announcements on the forum.
We re-did the entire downloads section a few weeks ago, it is now organized by model #
This next release will be a stable beta version

The merged release should be ready within a week I think, but do not hold me to it.

1 hour ago, Justin said:

I think the easiest way is to release just a non rooted firmware, and then a root patch pile to be installed after.
This patch file wont factory reset.

Our release system will be our downloads section and announcements on the forum.
We re-did the entire downloads section a few weeks ago, it is now organized by model #
This next release will be a stable beta version

The merged release should be ready within a week I think, but do not hold me to it.

So the firmware upgrade from 5.1 to newer 5.1 firmware will be a patch which won't factory reset the box, correct? And does it matter that the upgrade file is a patch, will it still operate exactly the same as if it were factory reset?

You guys should do six files and explain what each file is. I think that would be best and easiest for people. And if you guys label your firmware with a specific number in addition to the date which they can see in their system, it will be easier for them to keep track of what firmware file they're on (ex. android 5.1.2). Unless if this is possible somehow, but I don't see it anywhere.

1) unrooted 5.1 firmware (for upgrading from 4.4) FACTORY RESET (recommended)

2) rooted 5.1 firmware (for upgrading from 4.4) FACTORY RESET

3) unrooted 5.1 firmware (upgrade for existing 5.1 users) this will not factory reset the box (recommended)

4) rooted 5.1 firmware (upgrade for existing 5.1 users) this will not factory reset the box

5) unroot patch (users on 5.1 rooted can use this patch to switch their box to unrooted if they want)

6) root patch (users on 5.1 unrooted can use this patch to switch their box to rooted if they want)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frankie said:

So the firmware upgrade from 5.1 to newer 5.1 firmware will be a patch which won't factory reset the box, correct? And does it matter that the upgrade file is a patch, will it still operate exactly the same as if it were factory reset?

You guys should do six files and explain what each file is. I think that would be best and easiest for people. And if you guys label your firmware with a specific number in addition to the date which they can see in their system, it will be easier for them to keep track of what firmware file they're on (ex. android 5.1.2). Unless if this is possible somehow, but I don't see it anywhere.

1) unrooted 5.1 firmware (for upgrading from 4.4) FACTORY RESET (recommended)

2) rooted 5.1 firmware (for upgrading from 4.4) FACTORY RESET

3) unrooted 5.1 firmware (upgrade for existing 5.1 users) this will not factory reset the box (recommended)

4) rooted 5.1 firmware (upgrade for existing 5.1 users) this will not factory reset the box

5) unroot patch (users on 5.1 rooted can use this patch to switch their box to unrooted if they want)

6) root patch (users on 5.1 unrooted can use this patch to switch their box to rooted if they want)

I am sorry but were not making 4 different firmwares and 2 different patches
This will just be to confusing in our downloads page and also for customers.
This is also too much to maintain.

This is how I think we will be doing this

1. Unroot 5.1 Firmware (Will Factory Reset)
2. Root Patch (No factory Reset)
3. Unroot Patch (No Factory Reset)

This is the only option I see that makes sense.

2 hours ago, Justin said:

I am sorry but were not making 4 different firmwares and 2 different patches
This will just be to confusing in our downloads page and also for customers.
This is also too much to maintain.

This is how I think we will be doing this

1. Unroot 5.1 Firmware (Will Factory Reset)
2. Root Patch (No factory Reset)
3. Unroot Patch (No Factory Reset)

This is the only option I see that makes sense.

If it's just explained clear any person with an elementary school education will be able to understand but it's up to you guys to make it clear. I'm still confused. You said that the factory reset is only necessary if you're upgrading from 4.4. SO WHY ARE YOU MAKING PEOPLE HAVE TO FACTORY RESET IF THEY'RE ALREADY ON 5.1? Why not create a separate firmware file for people upgrading their existing 5.1 firmware so they don't have to factory reset their box? Factory resetting is very excruciating. Me being a customer telling you this, it should be very valued. I'm not saying this to blow hot air. Maybe the developers don't think it's important or just don't care because they just need the firmware to update boxes before they're put on the market.  This goes back to trying to make things as easy for your customers as you can, not as easy for your developers as you can.

I very highly recommend creating at least the one additional firmware file for people upgrading who are already on 5.1. The six files would be even better. Personally I can't understand how these files can be that hard to maintain. They'll all just have minor differences which will be factory reset vs no factory reset, and root vs unroot. Everything else in the firmware file will be the exact same. I get the impression your development team is very lazy, incredibly under staffed, or not knowledgeable enough in the software. There's definitely something off given how long some of these fixes take to get together, especially considering they were fine on android 4.4.

My six file recommendation was vague. I left it to you guys to fill in the blanks. If you use appropriate headings and descriptions for each file in an organized graph(s) type layout, it will be incredibly easy to understand what firmware does what. Doing this will put much less stress on customers who don't want their box to factory reset after upgrading and for customers who want their software rooted. Yes, your customers, the people who keep you guys in business.

Edited by Frankie
  • Like 1

Honesty, upgrades for 5.1 users should be ota. They shouldn't be loading firmware updates onto sd cards and navigating through forums to find files. My computer auto updates when there's new upgrades, and my phone does everything ota. This is how successful companies operate. You guys should always be asking yourself, how can I make this as easy for the customer as possible? Another point of feedback with your ota updates in the past. They appear so fast on screen that if you're navigating through your menu and click okay with the intention of clicking something else, the ota box disappears right away without getting a chance to read it. Maybe have it pop up in the bottom or something instead, and have it haves to be clicked on with the cursor so this issue doesn't happen. Keeping firmware upgrades readily available in the upgrade app would be good too.

With the downloads page, if you're really that concerned about people being confused. Create a link for the alternate firmware files. Put your main firmware file on the download page. Then put a link somewhere else: 'click here if you're already on 5.1.' I think my original suggestion will be completely fine. But I must say I'm happy to see you guys are making your customers not being confused a priority.

Lastly I'll add, if you guys don't fix your standby issue, you guys will go bankrupt. Personally I am keeping my boxes on. But very fair to say 1 of every 2, or more like 4 of every 5 customers who buy your box and find that it can't shut on and off are going to return it right away as they'll think it's a piece of junk. They'll also probably never buy a mygica product again. If you guys can't figure out how to fix it, fly an expert to your office from silicon valley and have them fix it. Even if you have to pay $10,000 or whatever to do it, you'll literally save your company.

I really hope to see some improvements in your firmware upgrade workflow. I really really do.

• Like 1

Just so it's clear, this is what you guys have to remember:

PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO FACTORY RESET THEIR BOX

PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO READ THROUGH YOUR FORUMS TO FIND UPGRADE FILES

PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO MANUALLY INSTALL FIRMWARE FILES AND THEN INSTALL ADDITIONAL PATCHES ON TOP OF THAT

I think the absolute best case scenario is you have four files on your upgrade webpage, and all upgrades for existing 5.1 users are ota. Imagine if you had a problem with your windows computer, and to fix it you had to search through their forums, find the right file to fix it, download it on an sd card, install it, and have to factory reset your computer for it to work. Then that file didn't fully fix your computer, so you'd have to go back through their forums, find the new upgrade file, put it on an sd card again, install it again, and have to factory reset your box AGAIN. This scenario seems like it's from a far away dream world, yet this is how Mygica operates their business. It's like you guys are running your company out of someone's garage or something.

4 files:

unroot 5.1 - for users upgrading from 4.4 (FACTORY RESET)

root 5.1 - for users upgrading from 4.4 (FACTORY RESET)

unroot patch

root patch

And all firmware upgrades for people on 5.1 are done ota. ('NO' FACTORY RESET)