Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flash Bazbo

Firmware issues (25/28-Nov-2016 version)

I already own a couple of 582s and decided to purchase a 495PRO last weekend.  'Just sayin' I'm not a newbie - I have a pretty good handle on what to do and how to do it to get a box set up to my liking.  Anyhow, I'm having a couple of issues with the 495PRO that might be worth looking at.

My recollection is that the box arrived with firmware dated 13-Oct-2016 - could be wrong on that.  Setup didn't go quite as smoothly as with the 582s but I did manage to get everything working the way I like.  The update server for the 582s seems to be down incidentally so I figured that might be the case for the 495 as well and downloaded the 25/28-Nov-2016 update for the 495 manually and installed it from a thumb drive and then did a factory reset.  Here are the issues I'm currently facing...

- customizing the 8 panels in the launcher isn't working as expected.  The icons on the panels in the second column don't seem to be able to be changed.  Row 1, column 2 always shows the youtube icon no matter which app I link it to (currently linked to Netflix).  Row 2, column 2 always shows the Netflix icon no matter which app I link it to (currently google play store).  In both cases, the linked app and the text under the icon changes - it's just a little confusing (read: not wife friendly) when the panel you click on to get to the Netflix app has a youtube icon with Netflix written below it and the google play store panel has a Netflix icon with google play store written below it.

- I've uninstalled the pre-installed youtube version 1.3.8.  I guess you include it because it's up, down, left, right navigation friendly but I'm using a kr301 remote so I much prefer the current 11.something.or.other version from the play store.  I've also uninstalled the ?Chinese? CC app.  The problem I'm having is that the default apps keep coming back whenever I reboot the box.  It's not so much of a problem with the legacy youtube app, however, advanced task killer shows that the CC app is pretty much always running in the background (I have a bit of an issue with apps from China that continuously run when I haven't asked them to and keep coming back when I uninstall them).  My feeling is that the default apps should only install themselves after doing a factory reset.  'Pretty sure that's how it works with the 582s but it's not like they had a CC app I was trying to get rid of.

- Quick boot doesn't work.  I'm guessing the firmware isn't rooted?  It's not a big deal but it highlights the fact that the readme with the factory files says "7. Hold pin where Reset is, 8. Hookup power while holding down Reset, via pin, 9. Hold for 15 seconds" whereas the box doesn't appear to have a reset button.  You need to hold the power button while plugging the power in to get to the recovery screen.

Finally, it would be really great if the behaviour of the 582, where you lean on the "menu" button on the remote in order to free up memory, was also available on the 495.  The icon on the launcher screen is a nice secondary way to do it, however, when kodi starts buffering in the middle of a stream and you realize you forgot to click that button before starting it, having to leave kodi, click the button, return to kodi, navigate back to the stream you were watching, find the place in stream where you left off etc. - it's just not as easy as leaning on the menu button on the remote for a couple of seconds.  Also, the youtube app seems to leak like a sieve - my recollection on the 582s anyhow - so it needs doing fairly often to avoid crashing the app.

I should probably mention that I've done several factory resets to try and resolve the first issue.  I didn't have it with the original firmware (13-Oct-2016) so I was hoping to be able to go back to that version but it doesn't seem to exist (except maybe in my imagination?).  I'm not sure if the second issue was present in that version.

Other than the few issues I'm having, the box seems like a solid performer.  Wireless AC seems to be working without a hitch for me and everything seems, for the most part, to be more responsive than the 582s.

FYI, I've recently determined that the "customizing the 8 panels in the launcher" business happens only after installing the latest version of the youtube app from the app store.  After a factory reset, remove the youtube app that comes with the box (the panels still work as expected at this point), login to google account and install latest youtube app (row 1, column 2 always displays youtube icon/image at this point, no matter what app it's linked to.