Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AAarggh!!FreezeUp

Slow download speed ATV1200

I'm new to the XBMC world.

Have been using box and it seems to stream OK, sometimes lags and buffers so I checked the download/upload speed on the browser.

I have it cabled to Ethernet through an Apple time machine router. The speed only gets to 4Mbps download although I'm on cable internet that provides 20Mbps to my other devices at home. I've tried my box on WiFi and Ethernet and get the same download speed. How can I change this? Should I even bother if everything is relatively OK?

This sounds exactly like my problem on my ATV 520E. I'm glad I'm not the only one. My only issue is that I have two boxes and would hate to have to replace them if I can't get the speeds back up to what they were when I first plugged them in a month ago from the store.

I have the same issue. I get 36mbps download speed on every devise in my home except mygica box which only gets around 12-13mbps. Any ideas Justin? Thanks.

Which speed test app are you guys using?

Make sure to use a proper one

Look for the OOKLA Speedtest.net app from the Play Store.

Thanks for the quick reply Justin. Yes it is the OOKLA speedtest.net app that I am using on mygica ATV1200 and android phone, and then I use their website on my laptop. My phone and laptop get 36mbps, but the mygica will only get 12mbps. The phone and the laptop are connected via wifi the android box via Ethernet! Hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick reply Justin. Yes it is the OOKLA speedtest.net app that I am using on mygica ATV1200 and android phone, and then I use their website on my laptop. My phone and laptop get 36mbps, but the mygica will only get 12mbps. The phone and the laptop are connected via wifi the android box via Ethernet! Hope that helps.

What does your speed test give you over wifi on the 1200?

Hello Justin,

I have done 5 tests on wifi and 5 tests via ethernet just now on my 1200.

Ethernet produced download speeds of between 12mbps - 14mbps for the 5 tests.

Wifi produced download speeds of between 22-24mbps for the 5 tests.

On my phone and laptop (both via wifi) I am getting constantly between 35-37 mbps.

Just done a test on my phone now (galaxy 4) to show the the connection is not slow due to time of day etc etc and it resulted in 37.29 mbps. I never see much of a fall in speed no matter the time of day.

Then it comes down to the Wifi and Ethernet modules installed on all devices. Some will give different results then others.

So should I just use the wifi then seen as that provides better results? Seems strange that the Ethernet would only allow up to a max of 14mbps.

Yes I would suggest to just stick with Wifi for now.

Not sure about your ethernet issues, as I get the same results on wifi and ethernet on my 1200 at home, which is over 40mb/s.

Sorry about your disapointment

This issue seems to be random among everyone. Will have to look into supporting all router settings to see if this resolves this.

Cheers Justin, if it helps my ISP is BT and I have the newest router they offer - the BT Home Hub 5

Whenever people ask me about Home Internet setups, I always tell them to never use the Modem/Routers as your Wifi/Ethernet Router setup since they are not exactly the best routers and should only be used as a modem. They actually also scare me ever since Rogers support was able to setup an SSID manually when I had them on the phone.

I use Rogers Internet, and I bridge my Cisco Rogers Modem/Router to be just a modem and use a Gigabit Dual Band router.

If you are satisfied with your Wifi network within your house, then just keep using what you have rather then spending extra $$.

Yeah I will just stick to the router it came with as I am happy with the setup (other than the android box obviously). Thanks for all your help Justin I really appreciate it.

Yeah I will just stick to the router it came with as I am happy with the setup (other than the android box obviously). Thanks for all your help Justin I really appreciate it.

Ok no problem

Yup. Exact same with the atv-1800. Thought I was buying the top on the line product. It buffers like crazy and drives me nuts. My brother uses an old computer he bought at a garage sale that is ten times better. What's the fix for this problem?

Ok give me some examples. I'm running a swack of third-party addons so if you give me an addon, movie/tv show name, and link that you tried, I'll try to find if I can replicate the buffering at my end. Don't forget that XBMC on Android has a buffer size of only 20 meg (1 gig one-hour show would be about a minute) compared to a computer running XBMC.

Don't forget, you are also dependant on the upload speed of where you're getting it from. 250 k/sec is something like 1 gig an hour. I've download shows from links that were at 250 k/sec and had an eta to completion of over an hour. It was a 42 minute TV show.