Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WB1900

Unroot

I have just installed a ATV1900 Pro and some apps do not appear to work because the device is rooted.
Please can someone advise how I "unroot" the device.

It gives the following info in the "About" screen:

- Model: MyGica ATV495 Pro 16G

- Version: 5.1.1

- Build: V001M901_20161013

The device is definitely a 1900 according to the device's appearance and serial number and other stickers on it.

Not sure what the model shows incorrectly as well in about.

I have downloaded the latest firmware from 

This has changed the build to V001M901_20161125 (and the model to MyGica_S905 TV Box for some reason).

It seems that the file system is "read only" so root cannot be removed?

I didn't manage to get the file system to load as "read write" and eventually gave up on this route. :(

I checked out http://fokke.org/site/content/howto-create-android-updatezip-package and it seemed that an update.zip was the way to go (to patch without the OS booted).
I downloaded the "unroot" patch that I referred earlier to get some hints on the structure.
The direct link to unroot is at http://mygicasupport.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=3552

Below is what it does.

show_progress(0.800000, 80);
set_bootloader_env("upgrade_step", "3");
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/system", "/system");
delete("/system/etc/install-recovery.sh");
delete("/system/xbin/su");
delete("/system/xbin/sud");
unmount("/system");
set_bootloader_env("upgrade_step", "1");
show_progress(0.100000, 0);

So in theory the update this should work without any modification... and it does.

My device is now "unrooted" after running - with no other issues detected after a day or two of testing.
To restore root we would basically just reapply the latest firmware (with was already rooted).

Hopefully this helps other people struggling with the same issue.

On 1/3/2017 at 10:04 PM, Spinnersp said:

My box doesn't appear to be rooted, i installed root checker from play store. It says "Sorry, root access is not properly installed on this device" 

We have put the Root Patch File in the downloads section for the 1900 PRO and 495 PRO

But here it is again, you can easily install it from a USB drive or SD Card using the UPGRADE APP on the box.

update_MyGica_ATV495_Pro_wv_root_5.1_patch (1) (1).img

I have the same issue here in South Africa our local online streaming service (DSTV Now & ShowMax) does not allow their content on rooted devices, thus I will be checking to see if I can UNROOT the ATV1900 Pro using the methods you describe here, and I am also going to try an app called universal unroot.

Also would be nice if MyGica would offer us 2 different firmware options one with root and one WITHOUT ROOT since some programs does not work on rooted devices (Some online content providers and online banking apps). And on the other hand some people prefer having their device rooted, thus it would seem that a good solution is to offer both variants in your firmware, or even provide a simple app to root/unroot your device.

Will update on what method worked in the end.

19 hours ago, KoueKoffie said:

I have the same issue here in South Africa our local online streaming service (DSTV Now & ShowMax) does not allow their content on rooted devices, thus I will be checking to see if I can UNROOT the ATV1900 Pro using the methods you describe here, and I am also going to try an app called universal unroot.

Also would be nice if MyGica would offer us 2 different firmware options one with root and one WITHOUT ROOT since some programs does not work on rooted devices (Some online content providers and online banking apps). And on the other hand some people prefer having their device rooted, thus it would seem that a good solution is to offer both variants in your firmware, or even provide a simple app to root/unroot your device.

Will update on what method worked in the end.

Method Followed to get ShowMax, Supersport and DSTV now (Full unroot) to work:

The App Universal Unroot did not work. Using the upgrade app DID NOT WORK

The method I will list below did work:

1. Download latest firmware (in this case it was  1900 PRO JAN 30 2017
  2. Download unroot patch as supplied by WB1900
  3. Prepare a SD card - format to Fat32
  4. Unrar firmware and copy to the root folder of the SD card
  5. Remove power cord from ATV1900 Pro, insert SD card into the unit, hold in the reset button using a pen, put power cord back in while still holding the reset button depressed for at least 20 seconds
  6. The Android upgrade screen will show the progress of the update, after completion the ATV is booted to the main screen again.
  7. Reformat the SD card and copy to the root of the SD card the unroot patch IMG file
  8. Repeat Process as described in 5
  9. use the remote arrow keys on the keyboard side of the remote to navigate towards "install from EXT" press enter, select "SD card" press enter, select the unroot patch file and press enter.
  10. After completion select reboot device
  11. Your ATV 1900 Pro should be unrooted now and apps that require an unrooted device should work just fine now

I hope this helps some of you with the same problem that I had. 

10 hours ago, KoueKoffie said:

5. Remove power cord from ATV1900 Pro, insert SD card into the unit, hold in the reset button using a pen, put power cord back in while still holding the reset button depressed for at least 20 seconds
  6. The Android upgrade screen will show the progress of the update, after completion the ATV is booted to the main screen again.
  7. Reformat the SD card and copy to the root of the SD card the unroot patch IMG file
  9. use the remote arrow keys on the keyboard side of the remote to navigate towards "install from EXT" press enter, select "SD card" press enter, select the unroot patch file and press enter.
  11. Your ATV 1900 Pro should be unrooted now and apps that require an unrooted device should work just fine now

Thanks for this post.

But I am a little confused, because the 1900 PRO comes Un-Rooted out of the box??

It does seem that way yes, but when I tried to open apps that required unrooted  devices the app (showmax)  would state that the device seems to be rooted. 

It may be that Google safetyNet was still showing that the device is rooted even though we as the end user did not really have root access. 

Anyhow when I followed that procedure my apps did work. 

Good day,

Do you have a patch for the Mygica ATV495Pro to enable the SHOWMAX and DSTV NOW app to work? (i.e. unroot the device).

I am getting the message that the device is rooted when trying to use the SHOWMAX and DSTV NOW app...

4 hours ago, Hein said:

Good day,

Do you have a patch for the Mygica ATV495Pro to enable the SHOWMAX and DSTV NOW app to work? (i.e. unroot the device).

I am getting the message that the device is rooted when trying to use the SHOWMAX and DSTV NOW app...

The 495 PRO comes un-rooted, so therefore there is no patch to un-root it.

We only have a patch file to root the box for this model.

On 3/25/2017 at 6:47 AM, Hein said:

Installed latest firmware and it is working now.

Did you take the latest OTA update as well

V1.20?

On 4/6/2017 at 1:46 PM, thehat2k5 said:

If the 495pro is un-rooted, why can't I edit the host file without a superuser/admin error?  Supersu will not work either.

Superuser only works on Rooted devices.

The 495 PRO is un-rooted.

That is why Super User won't work.

On 11/04/2017 at 0:50 PM, Justin said:

Superuser only works on Rooted devices.

The 495 PRO is un-rooted.

That is why Super User won't work.

I get that, but there doesn't seem to be a workaround the superuser issue on the 495/1900pro. Cannot edit the hosts file, got any tips?

On 21/02/2017 at 10:46 AM, KoueKoffie said:

Will this work on the atv 495 pro??

Greeting all. 

I recently purchased the MyGica ATV1900 Pro. 

Really loving it. Thanks to all the support on this particular thread.

My device came out the box being able to use Netflix and Showmax but not DSTV Now. 

I followed this thread, downloaded the firmware and patch and installed successfully but still can't get DSTV Now.  I can verify that Kingo states now the device unrooted whereas before it would fail at 90%

Does anyone have an external *.apk link to the file to install DSTV Now I'd highly appreciate that. 

Don.