Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnnyGuitar

Power connector issues

My 1800 developed an issue with the power connector.

If I even look at it in a bad way, the box will lose power and reboot. Having a kitten in the house doesn't help; if she moves the cable or the box just slightly, poof, reboot.

I think I read some time ago about the same issue on the 1900 model as well.

I'm still on old Android 4.x firmware because I dread updating the box if it reboots even with the slightest breeze. I don't want to brick it.

My question is as follows: is this easily fixed through simple resoldering of the power connector, or is the connector itself flawed and needs replacement? I can do both, I just need to know what to expect.

On 1/9/2017 at 10:50 AM, JohnnyGuitar said:

My 1800 developed an issue with the power connector.

If I even look at it in a bad way, the box will lose power and reboot. Having a kitten in the house doesn't help; if she moves the cable or the box just slightly, poof, reboot.

I think I read some time ago about the same issue on the 1900 model as well.

I'm still on old Android 4.x firmware because I dread updating the box if it reboots even with the slightest breeze. I don't want to brick it.

My question is as follows: is this easily fixed through simple resoldering of the power connector, or is the connector itself flawed and needs replacement? I can do both, I just need to know what to expect.

This sounds like an issue with the actual hardware itself.

May I know when and where you purchased the 1800?

April 2015, in a country far away ;) It's not under warranty any more, and even if it were, I can probably fix it myself in far less time than it would take to deal with the shop. They don't even carry MyGica items any longer, so it wouldn't be quick and easy.

I'll probably try resoldering the connector this weekend. Hopefully that fixes it... If not, well, there's always eBay for Chinese spares :)

(BTW, I'm the guy who had the 4:3 CRT, if you remember that. I have since upgraded to a used plasma, so I'm having tons of fun with the 1800 and the new TV.)

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGuitar said:

April 2015, in a country far away ;) It's not under warranty any more, and even if it were, I can probably fix it myself in far less time than it would take to deal with the shop. They don't even carry MyGica items any longer, so it wouldn't be quick and easy.

I'll probably try resoldering the connector this weekend. Hopefully that fixes it... If not, well, there's always eBay for Chinese spares :)

(BTW, I'm the guy who had the 4:3 CRT, if you remember that. I have since upgraded to a used plasma, so I'm having tons of fun with the 1800 and the new TV.)

Ok

One of my co-workers has re-soldered the Power Pin on the 1800e many times before, it is not hard to do if you have soldered before.

Let me know how it works out for you.

8 minutes ago, meagain said:

Then it sounds like defective parts if he has soldered many. Recall.....

It has only been about 8 pcs in total, over a 2 year period of us selling the 1800e

20 minutes ago, Justin said:

One of my co-workers has re-soldered the Power Pin on the 1800e many times before, it is not hard to do if you have soldered before.

Let me know how it works out for you.

No big deal, I've had a soldering iron since more than twenty years ago :)

I'll let you know if resoldering fixed the problem.

Just now, JohnnyGuitar said:

No big deal, I've had a soldering iron since more than twenty years ago :)

I'll let you know if resoldering fixed the problem.

Ok great

Please let me know

Thanks

On 1/15/2017 at 0:33 PM, JohnnyGuitar said:

Fixed.

Lead-free solder is stupid. It's so brittle. No whiskers, thankfully.

Ok good to hear

Let me know if you have any other questions

Thanks