Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artemis-kun

ATV 586 DOA?

Pretty certain I'm correct with my diagnosis here, but just in case I'm somehow missing something obvious, when the ATV 586 is plugged in, since I can't see any power buttons on the unit, I assume it is supposed to power on automatically? If it is, then my unit does appear to be DOA, as I get no lights, functionality, anything, when I plug it in, and I just bought it today. Tried the remote too, to no avail. I even noticed what looks to be a hard reset on the bottom of the unit, and tried pressing it, and nothing. Thoughts?

Luckily, I happened to have another Mygica unit that I'm testing for work purposes, and have determined that the AC adapter is the DOA piece, not the media box. So, I guess the question now is, how easy is it to get a replacement AC adapter? Ideally, I'd prefer not having to invest more in buying a replacement adapter, especially seeing as this one didn't work right out of the box.

2 hours ago, Artemis-kun said:

Luckily, I happened to have another Mygica unit that I'm testing for work purposes, and have determined that the AC adapter is the DOA piece, not the media box. So, I guess the question now is, how easy is it to get a replacement AC adapter? Ideally, I'd prefer not having to invest more in buying a replacement adapter, especially seeing as this one didn't work right out of the box.

When and Where did you purchase the unit from?

39 minutes ago, Justin said:

When and Where did you purchase the unit from?

Purchased the unit from a Shopper's Drug Mart in North York on Saturday, the 14th. The only issue is that I live in midtown TO, and I don't have the receipt, it seemed to go missing, so I'll have to head back up there to get a reprint, hence why I was hoping for another option. If not, then I'll hopefully find myself out that way next weekend, and can get a reprint of the receipt and move forward from there.

Well, I sorted things out for myself in this case, wound up modifying the AC adapter with a USB A cable, and a 2A USB wall adapter, and now I'm rolling. Of course, it can't be smooth sailing, my unit is stuck in a boot loop at the moment, but at least the recovery is accessible, so I'll reload the firmware from the Downloads section of this forum, should hopefully get me on my way. It's been an interesting ride, considering how many people I know with these boxes, it feels like I've managed to run into every problem possible! Luckily, I'm a fairly resourceful individual, so nothing I've encountered so far as been able to stop me. It'll be fun fiddling around with this box, once I have it up and running.

Hrm, of course, running into problems with flashing the new firmware. It verifies fine, but when the recovery menu switches to "installing update" it runs for another 2-3 seconds, and then the device resets, and now I boot directly into recovery, as opposed to boot looping. I will admit I'm not using the best set up for flashing (using USB drive), but I don't have a micro SD card handy at the moment to try that route. I figured that since it correctly verifies the update, that this shouldn't make much difference, but before assuming this device is indeed fully defective and going through whatever process I need to get it replaced, I'll try it tonight when I get home with a micro SD, though I'm not holding my breath that it will work any differently. Even my good humour is having a hard time holding out at this point, definitely starting to feel disappointed with this product.

Well, still no luck after a litany of attempts at restoring the firmware. The restore process would get about half way through the bar, then the device would reboot, then the light on the front flashed red-blue 6 times, then it boots up and tries to restore again. Or, at least it was, after 3 or 4 times of doing this, it did its normal flash red-blue 6 times, but after that, it just stopped functioning entirely. Holding the reset button does nothing, no video output no matter how long I keep the device on with a blue light, or how much I try to hold the reset while powering on. Very disappointing, as I liked the look of this product, but I guess I will have to give it a negative recommendation to my company. Too bad.