Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

psy

android version update to 6 or 7

Right now were using Android 5.1 as that is the only AOSP available to us from Amlogic for the S905 Chipset.

They might upgrade to Android 6 in the future.

Android 7 I doubt will be available though, less then 5% of devices worldwide are running Android 7 right now

May I know what features your looking for in 6 and 7 that are missing from 5.1?

None in particular i was thinking in the long run because the box works wonderfully so far. Since newer app will require newer version(like kodi 17 that requires 5.1 instead of 4.4) i was just wondering.

Thank you

19 hours ago, psy said:

None in particular i was thinking in the long run because the box works wonderfully so far. Since newer app will require newer version(like kodi 17 that requires 5.1 instead of 4.4) i was just wondering.

Thank you

Ok 

But I am a little confused, KODI 17 will work on the 495 PRO since it runs Android 5.1??

If you think newer apps coming out over the next few years will not support 5.1, I don't see this happening.

More then 50% of Android devices on the market are running Android 4.4/5.0/5.1
So I think a developer would not be smart if they made their app only work on Android 6+ only.

On 02/02/2017 at 3:27 PM, Justin said:

Ok 

But I am a little confused, KODI 17 will work on the 495 PRO since it runs Android 5.1??

If you think newer apps coming out over the next few years will not support 5.1, I don't see this happening.

More then 50% of Android devices on the market are running Android 4.4/5.0/5.1
So I think a developer would not be smart if they made their app only work on Android 6+ only.

I am sure you have seen the threads out there from people who feel jipped because Mygica never released an update to Android 5 for the ATV1800.  Im sure this has turned into a buying decision considering there are Android 6 boxes already out there.  With add on sources such as TV Addons notifying users they MUST upgrade to Kodi 17.1 these days, its understandable why future compatibility has become a common topic.

Hi Thehat,

You definitely know a bit about whats going on with updates. 

That being said, we did actually release 5.1 for 1800e. Let me know if you need help. As for android 6, the chip set is a big factor. We can only bring the OS up to where we can based on chip set limitations. We feel very strongly against releasing asop firmware to our custom systems just to have a newer Android version.

As for requiring to upgrade to 17.1, we are trying our best to provide solutions for not just our loyal customers in getting older chipsets and OS' to work with 17.1. If it is the case of a 1900ac or 1800e, users can upgrade. For any other boxes that are using 4.4 KitKat, (including other brands) They can use our MyGica Media Center (MMC) which is a fork of kodi 17. We will be releasing 17.1 when we can. 

We have never and wont ever turn our backs on our customers. If something can be done to prevent users from spending more money, when they just spent money, we will do it.

Just acquired an ATV 1900 Pro this week.

Did a Kodi upgrade (using Google Play, not MyGica Store), and it downloaded and installed 17.6 faithfully.

So far, no issues (fingers crossed).

Btw, it is purported that 17.6 will be the final Kodi for level 17.

Cheers!

Ted