Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Marm

Alternate Shell ATV586?

Recommended Posts

Marm    2

Hi 

I am wondering if you can recommend an alternative shell for the ATV586?   I have no use for the built in TV tuner, so that large shortcut box is just an ugly eyesore.   I like the general layout of the GUI, but it would be especially nice if one could resize, replace or delete any of the boxes.

Can I delete the DTVplayer app?

I am somewhat disappointed and amazed, but am I correct that the ATV586 doesn't have Bluetooth?

Does the latest firmware update anything other than the TV Tuner? 

It would be so nice if live online firmware updates actually worked for this box.   have been spoiled by another brand where actually they do.

Many thanks,

Marm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justin    155
2 hours ago, Marm said:

Hi 

I am wondering if you can recommend an alternative shell for the ATV586?   I have no use for the built in TV tuner, so that large shortcut box is just an ugly eyesore.   I like the general layout of the GUI, but it would be especially nice if one could resize, replace or delete any of the boxes.

Can I delete the DTVplayer app?

I am somewhat disappointed and amazed, but am I correct that the ATV586 doesn't have Bluetooth?

Does the latest firmware update anything other than the TV Tuner? 

It would be so nice if live online firmware updates actually worked for this box.   have been spoiled by another brand where actually they do.

Many thanks,

Marm

 

The built in Home Screen is just the style of Home Screen that we offer for the 586.

However when it comes to Android, changing the Home Screen to something different is totally possible

There are probably close to 1000 different Android Launchers available on the Google Play Store, you just need to do a search.

You can look at a lot of different ones by going here https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/search_results_cluster_apps?clp=ggETChFhbmRyb2lkIGxhdW5jaGVycw%3D%3D%3AS%3AANO1ljKYP0g&num=48&hl=en

Yes you are correct, the 586 does not have Bluetooth.

If you do not have use for the TV tuner, then why did you purchase the 586? 
We have quite a few other models without TV tuners that have much better specs.

 

We currently have no online updates available for the 586, but when we did they did work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marm    2

Thanks for your response Justin but that is not what I need.  

I am fully aware of the alternative shells and launchers in the Google Playstore as I have bought, set up and resold more than 100 Android devices from Android 2.1 to 6.1.  The problem with MOST of those launchers you pointed me to is they are geared towards phones.  I have never wanted to use one before but am hoping one of the group's members or staff have a launcher they use and can recommend.   A skinny one that works well with a TV box with such limited RAM is what I need.   I already consider this box barely usable as I would never normally buy any device with only 1GB of RAM.

You ask me why I bought the 586?   Because I got it on sale at Shopper's Drug Mart for $74.99 $CAN and l had $50 additional discount in customer loyalty points so with tax it cost me about $30 in Canadian $ or about $23 $US.  It was the price and the fact that the Mali 450 is a decent processor and that it makes an inexpensive gift that made me buy it.

So is there anyone in the group who can save me days of work trying to find a good shell by suggesting a good skinny launcher that will work with this box?

Many thanks again,

Marm

 

 

Edited by Marm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justin    155
3 hours ago, Marm said:

Thanks for your response Justin but that is not what I need.  

I am fully aware of the alternative shells and launchers in the Google Playstore as I have bought, set up and resold more than 100 Android devices from Android 2.1 to 6.1.  The problem with MOST of those launchers you pointed me to is they are geared towards phones.  I have never wanted to use one before but am hoping one of the group's members or staff have a launcher they use and can recommend.   A skinny one that works well with a TV box with such limited RAM is what I need.   I already consider this box barely usable as I would never normally buy any device with only 1GB of RAM.

You ask me why I bought the 586?   Because I got it on sale at Shopper's Drug Mart for $74.99 $CAN and l had $50 additional discount in customer loyalty points so with tax it cost me about $30 in Canadian $ or about $23 $US.  It was the price and the fact that the Mali 450 is a decent processor and that it makes an inexpensive gift that made me buy it.

So is there anyone in the group who can save me days of work trying to find a good shell by suggesting a good skinny launcher that will work with this box?

Many thanks again,

Marm

 

 

Ok thanks for the feedback

A lot of users I know like this launcher to be used on a TV Box

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ss.squarehome&hl=en

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
waylotul    0

I am new to this forum, signed up today after getting a great deal on one of these.  I have tried a couple launchers and none seem to work right.  The square is ok, but switching between STB PRo for IPTV and OTA tuner became buggy.  I see on XDA there is a custom rom for the 580 but I don't know if its the same.  The current launcher has KODI 16 locked on the screen and then they added kodi 17 and gave it a different ICON, its a different app, so I'm stuck with a obsolete version of Kodi pinned on the home screen and cant change it to launch the new forked 17.  seems like built in redundancy to an obsolete app.

Edited by waylotul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justin    155
On 8/5/2017 at 8:43 AM, waylotul said:

I am new to this forum, signed up today after getting a great deal on one of these.  I have tried a couple launchers and none seem to work right.  The square is ok, but switching between STB PRo for IPTV and OTA tuner became buggy.  I see on XDA there is a custom rom for the 580 but I don't know if its the same.  The current launcher has KODI 16 locked on the screen and then they added kodi 17 and gave it a different ICON, its a different app, so I'm stuck with a obsolete version of Kodi pinned on the home screen and cant change it to launch the new forked 17.  seems like built in redundancy to an obsolete app.

Are you using a 586?

If so, Kodi 17 wont work on the 586, as it requires Android 5+

The 586 only runs Android 4.4

There are a few forks of Kodi 17 though that you can use like FTMC, MyGica Media Center, E-Box
These will all install onto Android 4.4
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×