Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Waldo69

ATV 585 Lollipo (KODI 17)

Hi. Can the firmware on the ATV 585 be upgraded to Lollipop.

At the moment I can't download KODI from Google App store.

15 hours ago, Waldo69 said:

Hi. Can the firmware on the ATV 585 be upgraded to Lollipop.

At the moment I can't download KODI from Google App store.

At this time this is not possible.

Right now we are looking into offering a stock version of Android 5.1 for the 585.

If we are capable of doing this, it will be offered in our downloads section

Not being able to update to Kodi 17 is a big thing for me as the main reason for me going to a Android Media box was as I use Kodi.

I have been using the latest version on my PC and it's much less glitchy ( for me at least) than 16.1.

If MyGica 585 isn't going to update, do you sell a product that comes out the box with Android 5.0 or above?

Also just a thought but if you are struggling with time and testing etc, why not release the ROM on XDA or release alpha and beta testing like on cynagenmod? There are plenty of people that can help.

Lollipop came out 2 years ago, I know it is difficult releasing a new ROM but that's why I would open it up to public. Especially if you are tight on resources.

Just a thought. Great product, keep it up!

1 hour ago, CarlWarnett said:

Also just a thought but if you are struggling with time and testing etc, why not release the ROM on XDA or release alpha and beta testing like on cynagenmod? There are plenty of people that can help.

Lollipop came out 2 years ago, I know it is difficult releasing a new ROM but that's why I would open it up to public. Especially if you are tight on resources.

Just a thought. Great product, keep it up!

This would mean we would have to release the Source Code for our box as well.

We are not able to do this.

Will we see anything for the ATV586? That a device I only purchased a few months ago can't be updated to a two year old OS is fairly frustrating. I understand limited resources, etc. Would like not to be trapped in the past.

1 hour ago, TheBeav said:

Will we see anything for the ATV586? That a device I only purchased a few months ago can't be updated to a two year old OS is fairly frustrating. I understand limited resources, etc. Would like not to be trapped in the past.

Something we are looking into

But cannot promise anything at this time

don't feel like spending $200 when the 585 is only a year old.  I am having problems with intermittent sound cut off but understand that may also be a faulty box.

On 3/14/2017 at 10:42 AM, scantlju said:

Any news on the stock version of Android 5.1 for the 585.

We will release a fork of KODI 17 that will work on Android 4.4

It will be available on the Play Store soon.

This is much easier for us to maintain then getting 5.1

10 minutes ago, Justin said:

We will release a fork of KODI 17 that will work on Android 4.4

It will be available on the Play Store soon.

This is much easier for us to maintain then getting 5.1

Too late. Your company's lack of support had led me to throw out MyGica and move on to a competitor who offers real OTA updates.

8 hours ago, regalsin said:

is there a time

frame on the 17point one fork that has been talked about for quite a while now!?

Hope to update to 17.1 this month

17.0 has only been available for about 4-6 weeks so far.

**EDITED BY JUSTIN, SORRY BUT WE DO NOT SUPPORT LINKS TO THIRD PARTY WEBSITES**

I haven't used FTMC yet as i upgraded to the 1900 Pro. Kodi 17 supports HTTPS streaming and as the first article explains, more sites are moving over to HTTPS. Justin is your Kodi 17 going to support HTTPS? If not there is no point in going that route.

All of these are going to be temporary fixes as Kitkat is old and outdated and the best thing to do is either upgrade the firmware or buy another TV box. Trying to constantly support older software is fighting against the tide. 

Now i love the MyGica TV box but come on guys, selling a "new" device with a 4 year old operating system which you cant upgrade is not cool. You guys need to future proof your products and stop selling the older models or at least stop advertising Kodi as technically it is no longer supported.. Hopefully my 1900 Pro is not stuck on Lollipop and will get Marshmallow sooner than later. 

Anyway i hope the above is helpful, do not take this as a attack on MyGica - like i said i am still happy with mine and enjoy the products. I just think that people expect more now days from a brand . 

10 hours ago, CarlWarnett said:

**EDITED BY JUSTIN, SORRY BUT WE DO NOT SUPPORT LINKS TO THIRD PARTY WEBSITES**

I haven't used FTMC yet as i upgraded to the 1900 Pro. Kodi 17 supports HTTPS streaming and as the first article explains, more sites are moving over to HTTPS. Justin is your Kodi 17 going to support HTTPS? If not there is no point in going that route.

All of these are going to be temporary fixes as Kitkat is old and outdated and the best thing to do is either upgrade the firmware or buy another TV box. Trying to constantly support older software is fighting against the tide. 

Now i love the MyGica TV box but come on guys, selling a "new" device with a 4 year old operating system which you cant upgrade is not cool. You guys need to future proof your products and stop selling the older models or at least stop advertising Kodi as technically it is no longer supported.. Hopefully my 1900 Pro is not stuck on Lollipop and will get Marshmallow sooner than later. 

Anyway i hope the above is helpful, do not take this as a attack on MyGica - like i said i am still happy with mine and enjoy the products. I just think that people expect more now days from a brand . 

Our fork of Kodi 17 supports HTTPS links 

We are currently only selling 495 PRO and 1900 PRO to our retailers right now, which come with Android 5.1

If you find older boxes still for sale, it is because they have older stock.

the burning question now becomes, is this kodi 17 fork (referred to as "mygica media center) even safe to use,  in light of the fact that kodi has come out with 17.2 and then 17.3 (as of may 25) due to security issues with 17.1????  and what about spmc and ftmc, are they even safe to use???   i have to agree wholeheartedly with the comments posted by  carl warnett.   purchasing one of your boxes (as i did) and then finding out less than a year later that it is obsolete is not acceptable.  one would believe that mygica would at least offer an easy method of upgrading the firmware on these boxes to make them compatible compatible with third-party addons, but this is obviously not the case.   and yes, i do realize that mygica  does not promote or have any affiliation with kodi or any other other third party addons,  but the hard truth is that very few people,  if anyone, would even consider purchasing an android box without being able to access third party addons such as kodi!!!!

@regalsin

It's a temp fix, and I wouldn't personally use it.

I think that they should open it up to ROM developers such as Lineage OS (used to be Cynagenmod). I have a old LG G2 and thanks to lineage run android 7.0 on it with no issues. In fact it's for stable than my MyGica Pro.

As XDA has a great community support you find the ROMs for old devices help keep them current and usable. This would also take the pressure off MyGica to try to keep up to date with software.

Probably going to get some defensive answer from the moderator now......

On 5/26/2017 at 0:46 AM, CarlWarnett said:

@regalsin

It's a temp fix, and I wouldn't personally use it.

I think that they should open it up to ROM developers such as Lineage OS (used to be Cynagenmod). I have a old LG G2 and thanks to lineage run android 7.0 on it with no issues. In fact it's for stable than my MyGica Pro.

As XDA has a great community support you find the ROMs for old devices help keep them current and usable. This would also take the pressure off MyGica to try to keep up to date with software.

Probably going to get some defensive answer from the moderator now......

You won't get a defensive answer from me on your suggestions.
I totally agree with you. 

However there are many things involved that prevent us from releasing the "Bootloader Source Code" for our boxes publicly, which would allow other devs from places like XDA to develop for us.  We have a lot of different API's that we developed in house, like HDMI IN and ATSC, so that is why we cannot release the bootloader source code, because if we did, then any factory would just be able to manufacturer our designs and use our software, mainly because AMlogic chipsets can be purchased by just about anybody.

We are able to allow devs to use a Serial Cable to develop for our boxes though, but there has not been any inquiries for this.
We are open to any one that is willing to do this.