Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gr33n

Disappointing business practices

I'd like to start off by saying that I own one of your boxes, the atv582. Luckily it was given to me to review/demo and I didn't have to pay anything for it.

The box works fine on Android 4.4, with minimal issues. Other than Kodi 16 being the last available version for that os.

Now on to my concerns. I've scoured this forum for information on how to upgrade the OS to 5.0 or 5.1, or anything that would allow me to continue with the Kodi upgrade path. I found the "beta" 5.1 image which for some reason is the same across 4 of your models. The experience was awful. Terrible lag, crashes, no response etc... 

After even further reading most of the replies about upgrading this box are along the lines of "soon" or "working on it" over a 2 year term. Also excuses like " our chip manufacturer provides us with os" are total rubbish. AMLogic is a licensee of ARM cpu architecture, the cpu in the 582 is absolutely capable of running Android 5.1 and beyond. So when u say it's your suppliers fault, you are copping out, and hard. Also please don't give me the same old "it's 3 years old" nonsense. It's a quad core cpu @2ghz and 1 GB RAM. A first edition raspi has less and can do more.

Im assuming you have no engineers or programers on staff and are basically a middle man for the hardware/software.  Or rather just a marketing/pr team.

Please reconsider your business practices and maybe outsource some aspects of the OS so that your devices can have a longer lifespan and upgrade path. To change the Android 5.1 IMG to work with the 582 should be simple enough for the engineer that compiled the older versions.

P.s. on a side note, your organization of firmwares and patches on this forum is super convoluted and hard to navigate. Please take the time to consider implementing an ftp server or http directory with organized folder structure so that files are easier to find.

I don't mean to come off as harsh, but I will not be recommending your products nor purchasing them if things in your company do not change. It would be a nightmare for me and my clientele.

Kind regards,

G

3 hours ago, Gr33n said:

I'd like to start off by saying that I own one of your boxes, the atv582. Luckily it was given to me to review/demo and I didn't have to pay anything for it.

The box works fine on Android 4.4, with minimal issues. Other than Kodi 16 being the last available version for that os.

Now on to my concerns. I've scoured this forum for information on how to upgrade the OS to 5.0 or 5.1, or anything that would allow me to continue with the Kodi upgrade path. I found the "beta" 5.1 image which for some reason is the same across 4 of your models. The experience was awful. Terrible lag, crashes, no response etc... 

After even further reading most of the replies about upgrading this box are along the lines of "soon" or "working on it" over a 2 year term. Also excuses like " our chip manufacturer provides us with os" are total rubbish. AMLogic is a licensee of ARM cpu architecture, the cpu in the 582 is absolutely capable of running Android 5.1 and beyond. So when u say it's your suppliers fault, you are copping out, and hard. Also please don't give me the same old "it's 3 years old" nonsense. It's a quad core cpu @2ghz and 1 GB RAM. A first edition raspi has less and can do more.

Im assuming you have no engineers or programers on staff and are basically a middle man for the hardware/software.  Or rather just a marketing/pr team.

Please reconsider your business practices and maybe outsource some aspects of the OS so that your devices can have a longer lifespan and upgrade path. To change the Android 5.1 IMG to work with the 582 should be simple enough for the engineer that compiled the older versions.

P.s. on a side note, your organization of firmwares and patches on this forum is super convoluted and hard to navigate. Please take the time to consider implementing an ftp server or http directory with organized folder structure so that files are easier to find.

I don't mean to come off as harsh, but I will not be recommending your products nor purchasing them if things in your company do not change. It would be a nightmare for me and my clientele.

Kind regards,

G

Firstly, I am not a middle man or apart of a marketing/pr firm.  I work directly with our engineering team at Shenzhen Geniatechs office's in China.
They have over 50 engineers on staff at their office in Shenzhen, with another 30 in their Central, China office.

You are right, they do have Android 5.0 available 

But have you seen the release date?

http://openlinux.amlogic.com/Android/Mbox/5.0_ReleaseInfo
They released this in January 2015, we are now in February 2017.
That version is basically an Alpha version of Android with a lot of problems, and they have zero plans of updating this version or ever maintaining it.
We tried porting to this over a year ago, and just received nothing but negative reviews on our forums, to the point where we had to remove it from our downloads section if though we labelled it as BETA.

Yes Amlogic is a licensed Holder of ARM, but it is up to them to release newer  AOSP versions of Android to us in order for us to implement them onto our boxes.
We cannot just upgrade to newer versions of Android on our own, all device manufacturers rely on their chipset supplier for updated versions of Android, this is the case with Snapdragon, Hisilicon, Realtek etc...

I won't deny it, yes the 582 is a Quad Core and is definitely fully capable of running newer versions of Android, but we cannot just port over to newer versions on our own without some help from Amlogic. And if all they have provided thus far, is an Alpha version of Android, then we have no desire to use it as it will not be reliable or stable. 
If we could out source certain aspects of the OS to continue updates, we would, but in this case we cannot.

We maintained the software on the 1800/582 on the 4.4 OS for a long time, our last software release is from July 2016.  So you cannot say, we do not support our products.

As for our downloads section, we are cleaning this up and re-organizing it all over the next few weeks.
All downloads will be categorized by model #.

Listen "justin" i don't mean to be harsh in any way, but you telling me that there are about 80 chinese "engineers" working on your products over a 2 year period, and no way to upgrade or update the 582 to android 5.0 or 5.1 is a massive oversight in production and work ethic. Seems to me like you just want to do the old bull market trick and sell, sell sell. Rather than create a quality product that will last, furthermore, using terms like Android Open Source Project to try and deter my interest in this technology are futile. 

Mygica has paid for the license to produce these boxes, or rather RE-brand them from the china clones that they are.

I would highly appreciate making the AMLogic "Alpha" .IMG available to developers since it is OPEN SOURCE. but you holding the licence to distribute the SOC.

Maybe we could turn this into a positive experience and work together as a community in improving this OS/Product.

The stock firmwares you provide are easily altered to work with android 5* ... I just don't want to put the time in myself unless that's a last resort. Which is what your company has done, to a lesser extent. Mygica has just rebranded the launcher APK with the "Mygica" logo, same for the aptoid apk and other aspects of the OS such as boot logo.

PLease make the developer files available, maybe in a private section so we can all work on it... look at the success of ddwrt or even openelec.

Thanks for your hard work on the forums,

G

20 hours ago, bindaredondat said:

Mr. Gr33n, have you happen to check the beta section for OS 5.1  for ATV582?
I am sure this well make you happy.

You have got to be f*****g kidding me, right? The second paragraph of the first post of this thread is

"I found the "beta" 5.1 image which for some reason is the same across 4 of your models. Terrible lag"

He installed it. He tried it. He hated it. He found it unusable. 

Do you, as a Mod, even bother reading any of the threads you answer? 

This is one of the reasons I've purchased a competitors product that I'm more than happy with. Removable memory card that I can easily upgrade OS, running official Krypton 17, 1 gig ram. $40 less than the average 380/582. More to mention. Shall I continue?

J

21 hours ago, bindaredondat said:

Mr. Gr33n, have you happen to check the beta section for OS 5.1  for ATV582?

I am sure this well make you happy.

Yes I have tried that "beta" version ... Which IMO is more of an pre-alpha build since it's basically unusable on my device. The beta is not optimised for the 582 and seems like it doesn't use all of the cpu/GPU cores. massive lag, random crashes, etc...

Please look into optimizing the image for the 582 and address the hardware issues.

I have half way reversed your "MyGica" version of the OS and it looks like you're just rebranding the software with your logos and not putting in much work on the internals of the OS itself.  One example of poor optimization is the stock "Mbox" boot logos that remain in the .IMG for no reason at all, just taking up space.

I'm still quite disappointed in the way your company has decided to handle this.

Mr. Gr33n, we are in talks with ( AM Logic )  to see if they could help us with building an OS 5.1. Meanwhile, you have to understand: Chipset, RAM, and Internal Storage (all with Speed in mind) - could cause the sluggishness in the OS upgrades.  This is the same for PC -- we can tweak the OS to a certain point, but if we tweak it too much, it will be no good.  In my mind, ATV582 could not get an update to OS 5.1.  Then again, If the ( AM Logic ) does bring out a Lolipop update, you will see it here asap. 

As it goes for our Stock OS, and how you feel about it, then I am personally sorry that it doesn't meet your expectations, despite the positive feedback of thousands of happy MyGica ATV 582 Users in Canada and USA.  With that said, we do appreciate your feedback and strive every day to improve on newer models and newer concepts to bring to market.

Gr33n:  Seriously, I think you are wasting too much time over an obsolete box and being tremendously unfair to the people here.  In my  opinion , that  box and  virtually any box with only 1GB of RAM is barely usable regardless of  thousands of happy MyGica ATV 582 users who just don't know any better.   The difference you will find with a faster processor in a box with 2 or 3GB  of RAM is amazing.  The freedom to be more casual adding programs, to not struggle with lag and not having to constantly free up RAM is a blessing.

On 2/11/2017 at 3:18 PM, Gr33n said:

Yes I have tried that "beta" version ... Which IMO is more of an pre-alpha build since it's basically unusable on my device. The beta is not optimised for the 582 and seems like it doesn't use all of the cpu/GPU cores. massive lag, random crashes, etc...

Please look into optimizing the image for the 582 and address the hardware issues.

I have half way reversed your "MyGica" version of the OS and it looks like you're just rebranding the software with your logos and not putting in much work on the internals of the OS itself.  One example of poor optimization is the stock "Mbox" boot logos that remain in the .IMG for no reason at all, just taking up space.

I'm still quite disappointed in the way your company has decided to handle this.

You are trying the 5.0 on your 582?

If so, then yes this is basically an Alpha build.  We used what Amlogic gave to us from their own SDK, as you can see is posted on their own website from Jan 2015.
And you cannot do much with it since it is very bad and Amlogic will never update it.