Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Koos van der Vyver

ATV585 Wifi Issues

ATV585 Wifi Issues

I am a new user of the ATV585 and are experiencing WiFi problems.  After installing the device, I have had limited success to watch online content although I have a 4Mb/s connection.  Within the same room other devices, smartphone and tablet, easily achieve a download rate of 4Mb/s while the ATV585 at its best achieve 2Mb/s.  Although the WiFi analyzer indicates that the signal is good, the performance is poor.  At some point after losing the internet connection while watching a movie, I moved the box a short distance and then it worked fine.  Is this a common problem and is there a solution.  Any help will be appreciated.

5 hours ago, Koos van der Vyver said:

ATV585 Wifi Issues

I am a new user of the ATV585 and are experiencing WiFi problems.  After installing the device, I have had limited success to watch online content although I have a 4Mb/s connection.  Within the same room other devices, smartphone and tablet, easily achieve a download rate of 4Mb/s while the ATV585 at its best achieve 2Mb/s.  Although the WiFi analyzer indicates that the signal is good, the performance is poor.  At some point after losing the internet connection while watching a movie, I moved the box a short distance and then it worked fine.  Is this a common problem and is there a solution.  Any help will be appreciated.

4mbps is not a good connection to stream with

I would suggest upgrading your download speed with your Internet provider to at least 15mbps.

Most content requires this type of connection at least.

Thanks for your feedback.  Maybe I am on the wrong track but my problem seems to be related to my WiFi signal.  Last night I positioned the ATV585 until I got a three bar signal strength.  I managed to watch some video content on Showmax without a problem.  I then moved the box to a position where I only got a two bar WiFI signal strength and then things fell apart, it varies form waiting, freezing to internet connection lost.  As soon as I restore the WiFi to a three bar strength, it operates fine.

5 hours ago, Koos van der Vyver said:

Thanks for your feedback.  Maybe I am on the wrong track but my problem seems to be related to my WiFi signal.  Last night I positioned the ATV585 until I got a three bar signal strength.  I managed to watch some video content on Showmax without a problem.  I then moved the box to a position where I only got a two bar WiFI signal strength and then things fell apart, it varies form waiting, freezing to internet connection lost.  As soon as I restore the WiFi to a three bar strength, it operates fine.

How far away are you from your router?

9 minutes ago, Koos van der Vyver said:

The unit is approximately 15m from the router.  The signal strength at 2 bars is approximately-68dB and at 3 bars approximately-62dB.

This isn't very far at all.

So not sure why you would get low signal like that.

How many bars do you get on a cell phone when in the same position? When using the cell phone on the same wifi network.