Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAUL___

Is my box current?

Is my box current?

I am new to the world of media boxes and would like to get the most out of my ATV 585 box. How do i determine if it has the most up to date firmware? What software should I add and how? It came with several apps that I have no clue as to their use. Are there any topics that are taboo to discuss here? Whenever I use Kodi, i cannot exit the program gracefully (what looks like a power button in bottom left corner of Kodi screen does not close Kodi) and I end up disconnecting the power and rebooting to return to the colorful box menu screen

I am truly a newb, so talk slowly and clearly, please. There are oodles of YouTube videos out there and I am certain that some of them are quite dated and would just waste my time.

Paul,

I am happy to hear you have a 585. This unit is not the most powerful, but is still a strong box with many uses. Regarding firmware, it likely has the latest firmware as we do OTA updates for major software changes.

As for discussions here, feel free to discuss anything you like except things that are deemed illegal. If you post something that shouldnt be talked about, no worry, our team of mods will surely jump in and take action and let you know what it is that you said that cannot be talked about on a public forum such as this.

The power button on kodi sure does seem like it doesn't function, but what it is doing is clearing the Cache. This can take up to 30 seconds sometimes, so please be patient. If it is taking longer than this, than maybe you have installed something in there that is making it act funny. You may want to consider deleting the app and installing it again.

As for which apps to use, it is hard for us to recommend for you what to do with you incredibly diverse android system, but try out some games like Angry birds, which will require either an air mouse remote, or using a mouse from your computer to simulate a finger tap or gesture.

Other uses include skype, home automation, media, webcam recording software, productivity apps etc. As always though, if you are trying to get a recommendation on an app for something you are trying to do, feel free to ask here as well. People are pretty helpful around here for helping those who are new.

Thanks for the response. I had to Google the term OTA (over the air)    My primary intended purpose of my box is for video streaming of tv shows and movies.   From looking at my Kodi summary information page, I am running an OS: Android 4.4.2 API level 19 and my Kodi is 15.1. When I do try to exit from Kodi using the onscreen power button (next to a star⭐), a box appears behind the Kodi menu bar with Exit in blue. This last time I waited 2 minutes before attempting to press Exit, at that point the scrolling text at the bottom of my screen froze as it has previously. If I I do reinstall or upgrade my version of Kodi, are there any downsides? For example, you said that my box is not really very powerful. Should I avoid upgrading software at times due this lack of power?

Sorry for the delay,

I think upgrading your kodi would be a good idea. You wont be able to use the newest version (17 krypton) but 16.1 jarvis will be a good upgrade for you.

No worries about the delay, I appreciate the assistance greatly. Remember when I said that I was a newbie? I need step by step instructions, if you could. Why shouldn't I use krypton version 17? Too much for my hardware? How do I do the upgrade to 16.1? What should I expect following the upgrade?

Version 17 is not compatible with your hardware. 

To install 16.1, you will need to do a few things. First, go to apps in the settings area, and locate kodi. Once you have found it, click uninstall.

You will next need to go to kodi.tv and locate jarvis 16.1 for android. Once you found this, download it to a usb stick.

Once the .apk is on a usb stick, insert it into the mygica unit, navigate to "applications" and click on app installer. Find the apk and install it.

You should be good to go from here.

17 hours ago, mightyguy27 said:

reminder that once you delete kodi all your addons will be DELETED.

This video will teach you how to backup KODI to avoid this from happening