Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mceg

Ethernet Speeds Issue

Hey,

I'm having an issue with the speed when I plug in my ethernet cable into the box. I have 150mbps internet and when I plug in the ethernet into my laptop and run a speed test I get 150mbps. When I plug it into the 520 box I'm only getting anywhere between 8-16 mbps. I shouldn't be limited to that slow of a speed when I have a fast internet connection.

Please advise on how to fix.

I'm having the same problem, I downloaded the android ookla speed test from the play store and ran the test. But prior to running the test, I killed all apps running in android to make sure nothing was using bandwidth. The test yielded 25-26 Mbits D/L and 9.4Mbits U/L.

On the same connection, my Asus laptop with an internal 10/100 NIC yielded 57Mbits D/L & 11.3Mbits U/L on the same ookla server test.

So for Shi.. & Giggles, I got my wife's samsung netbook (also 10/100 NIC) and ran the same ookla server test on the same connection. Hers yielded 37Mbits D/L & 11.2Mbits U/L.

Conclusion, the internal NIC and or hardware definitely influences the bandwidth test. Really wish the Gica had better ethernet performance given my broadband internet bandwidth which I'm paying for is capable of up to 60Mbits...

Can the Gica admin or tech support (Justin, etc...) advise on this matter ??? Is the newest firmware release an improvement ?

My Gica...purchased aprox 2 yrs ago has the original firmware on it.

Sorry guys but I am trying to get you the best answer for all your questions on this thread.

However China is on an Fall Holiday since last week, till this thurs. So I am unable to be in contact with anyone over there right now.

And I do not want to give the wrong answers on this.

Just be patient, I will get you the best answers by end of this week in relation to this.

Thanks

Ok sounds good Justin, because I definitely need an answer for this. Eyetie how do you think I feel lol when I'm paying for 150mbps if it dropped a few mb I wouldn't mind but going from 150 mbps to usually around 10-15 mbps is a big issue. I purchased mygica around 4 months ago just got around to using it now though was away.

I understand your frustration mceg. Justin is pretty good with follow-up. Let's hold on a few days for Justin's advice.

On another somewhat related matter. I did the 4.2.2 Upgrade. Everything went fine except now my Samsung LED keeps turning off and the TV's remote is unresponsive. I disconnected the HDMi cable from the gica and the TV now works fine. It seems the new 4.2.2 upgrade did something to the HDMI data stream because as soon as I disconnect the cable the TV acts normal. I'LLC be posting this issue as a dedicated thread in hopes of getting a solutionand in worst case scenario go back to original firmware hopefully if available.

MCEG. any feedback from Justin ?

I went to Canada Computers yesterday and with the sales guy we put 2 media players on the same ether connection. The Pivos had twice the bandwidth performance compared to the Gica. So there's definitely something in the Gica that's preventing available bandwidth. Oh yeah, the sales guy got a USB 10/100 nice and plugged it into the Gica, we ran the same Okla speed test and guess what.... speed was twice as fast, on par with the Pivos.

MCEG. any feedback from Justin ?

I went to Canada Computers yesterday and with the sales guy we put 2 media players on the same ether connection. The Pivos had twice the bandwidth performance compared to the Gica. So there's definitely something in the Gica that's preventing available bandwidth. Oh yeah, the sales guy got a USB 10/100 nice and plugged it into the Gica, we ran the same Okla speed test and guess what.... speed was twice as fast, on par with the Pivos.

Will send follow up to get a response back for this

Sorry for the delay.

I'm having the exact same issues. Last week both my 520E boxes were working fine on ethernet connections. This week, any program I play now only runs for about 5 mins and then buffers for 2 minutes until it says cache is full and then continues to play for 5 minutes.

I decided to us the browser on the box on speedtest.net and it was showing only 4.5 to 5 mbps download speed. I unplugged the ethernet cable from myGica and plugged it right away into my laptop and I get my normal 30 mbps.

For fun, on MondayI decided to switch off ethernet and back to wireless. I was able to test it with the android browser and it showed speeds of 22 mbps. Then again yesterday, I tested the wireless speed, and it now too has been throttled down to 5 mbps (but wireless on notebook still running at 30 mbps.

So given this testing, it seems that something is going on with the myGica box that is cutting down the download speeds...and it appears to be something that changes recently.

Running 4.1 straight out of the box. No other changes.

Help??

Eyetie, kind of defeats the purpose of an all-in-one media solution if I need to buy a USB adapter just to be able to get speeds I should be getting anyways.

I'm looking forward to Justin's response and a fix for this cause running at 10-15 Mbps over a wired connection is not something that I want.

Eyetie, kind of defeats the purpose of an all-in-one media solution if I need to buy a USB adapter just to be able to get speeds I should be getting anyways.

I'm looking forward to Justin's response and a fix for this cause running at 10-15 Mbps over a wired connection is not something that I want.

I gave one of our engineers a link to this thread on our forum as a follow up last night in regards to this.

Should get a response tonight or tomorrow from this

Thanks

Hey Justin, any word back from the engineers on this issue?

I've read many other posts on here, and similar issues related to this include the "constant buffering" and "cache full" after 5%-10% buffering.

I know that traffic on servers could slow things down, but my issue is that I bought 2 520e boxes a month ago. Everything worked perfectly...no streaming issues for movies, no slow downs. But then last week or two, I can no longer watch movies or shows with either xbmc or showbox without it constantly stopping every 5 minutes to buffer for 3-4 minutes until cache is full and then continues to play. I watched an entire movie like that and it added 45 minutes to the 2 hour movie in order for it to load. I'm at the end of my rope on this and wonder if I should try another product.

I also tried a usb ethernet adapter and got better results...so I'm wondering if the internal network adapter is being controlled by the software.

Can you let me know when you hear back from the enginneers if it can be fixed or if I should scrap the 2 boxes?

Thanks again for looking into this.

This is ridiculous that nobody has responded to this! My wired speed is SLOW I need an answer for this or money back one of the 2 cause getting 10mbps when I have 150mbps plan is ridiculous

This is ridiculous that nobody has responded to this! My wired speed is SLOW I need an answer for this or money back one of the 2 cause getting 10mbps when I have 150mbps plan is ridiculous

This is the response I received in regards to the issue you are having

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the wifi signal of ATV520 is weak,please try to open the shell,see if the wifi antenna is connected.Please see picture attached.

If the Ethernet network of ATV1200&ATV520 is poor,please try to do factory reset in Settings>Backup & reset or update the firmware again.

If do the steps above,but none better,maybe there is something wrong with the board and requires an exchange for a new one under warranty

unnamed.jpg.9aff2d4b2c856eae5e9ad9012859be39.jpg

If we do a factory reset, does that put us back to v4.1 without all the background updates?

Once we do the reset, how do we turn off the updates that you push out on occasion so that it won't affect it again?

If we do a factory reset, does that put us back to v4.1 without all the background updates?

Once we do the reset, how do we turn off the updates that you push out on occasion so that it won't affect it again?

If you want to go back to 4.1, you need to to a revert back down for that.

And we currently do not send out updates over the internet to the 520E, all updates are done manually using a USB or SD storage device.

Any word back from the engineers Justin? My neighbour called me and told me he is also experiencing the same buffering issue now every 5 minutes with his myGica box exactly like mine and the other people who have described it.

Any word back from the engineers Justin? My neighbour called me and told me he is also experiencing the same buffering issue now every 5 minutes with his myGica box exactly like mine and the other people who have described it.

The info I posted was there answer, if you cannot get it to work properly, then there is an issue with the board on your unit and suggested to get it replaced under warranty.

I will ask again, however they are off on a national holiday right now, and wont be back at work till Wed.

I am having the exact same issues with my ATV582.

Since the day i got it, it has frozen when watching videos that i have on my desktop. It cannot sustain the enough data transfer when playing anything that is a good quality download. for example 7-8 GB MKV file.

I have a fibre connection and can sustain 50Mb transfer from the internet. However when in test the speeds on this with speediest app i get only 5Mb. It doesn't matter if hardwired or wireless the speeds are the same

However if i am connected to my router for a home network i should not have a problem transferring a movie that needs around a 1.4 MB/s to play a movie.

Today i tried a full factory reset and have loaded the latest firmware from the MyGica sight.

Still the same.

How is this box ever going to play a 4k movie if it cannot smoothly play a good sized MKV.

Is there anything i can try before i take this back to the store. I bought this to replace a WDlive because of the full features it offers. However tonight i re-hooked it up because it plays these files on the same ethernet connection smoothly with no problems.

It is almost like it is only using the ehternet and wireless in a 10mb mode or something and not using the full potential.

freak111th

I am having the exact same issues with my ATV582.

Since the day i got it, it has frozen when watching videos that i have on my desktop. It cannot sustain the enough data transfer when playing anything that is a good quality download. for example 7-8 GB MKV file.

I have a fibre connection and can sustain 50Mb transfer from the internet. However when in test the speeds on this with speediest app i get only 5Mb. It doesn't matter if hardwired or wireless the speeds are the same

However if i am connected to my router for a home network i should not have a problem transferring a movie that needs around a 1.4 MB/s to play a movie.

Today i tried a full factory reset and have loaded the latest firmware from the MyGica sight.

Still the same.

How is this box ever going to play a 4k movie if it cannot smoothly play a good sized MKV.

Is there anything i can try before i take this back to the store. I bought this to replace a WDlive because of the full features it offers. However tonight i re-hooked it up because it plays these files on the same ethernet connection smoothly with no problems.

It is almost like it is only using the ehternet and wireless in a 10mb mode or something and not using the full potential.

freak111th

We have determined in another thread that the pre installed Speed Test app has issues with the app.

After installing the OOKLA Speedtest.net app, it was giving proper speed test results.

I use a 582 myself at home. and have no issues watching 10GB + movies, this is either streaming them or off my NAS setup.

I was not basing it off the speedtest. i did see that post.

I am basing it off actual network activity. IT does not want to maintain a relatively level speed transfer.

It simply cannot keep up, either directly connected to the lan or wireless. It Freezes.

The same movies , when played from teh same ethernet connection on a different device has not problems playing smooth. Maintaining a consistently throughput

Are there settings to monitor where the issues are. So i can see why when playing a movie why it decides to freezes and buffer etc.

I want to find out what the issue is and address it.

The main problems are when it is a high quality MKV that most of the freezing is seen, and it does not happen at the same times in the movies. It may run for a while fine, then decide it is going to start freezing.

Anti virus is shut off on computer that has the files stored on.