Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David22

Digital Audio Question

Digital Audio Question

I connect my Yamaha AV Receiver to ATV 1900PRO box via SPDIF connection, and DTX audio comes up as PCM and Dolby II.

However, wanted to know if there was a way to send raw audio data to AV receiver so could playback as DTX audio?

On 3/20/2017 at 11:54 PM, David22 said:

Digital Audio Question

I connect my Yamaha AV Receiver to ATV 1900PRO box via SPDIF connection, and DTX audio comes up as PCM and Dolby II.

However, wanted to know if there was a way to send raw audio data to AV receiver so could playback as DTX audio?

1. If you go to Settings part of the Home screen 

2. Click on more settings

3. Click on Sounds

4. Click on Digital Sounds

5. Switch to SPDIF

After this, you should get the sound you are wanting.

Justin, thanks for the quick response and yes I have done this and I am using the SPDIF setup.

However, I noticed that movie with DTS audio appears to be converted to PCM Dolby II when sent to my Yamaha AV Receiver, so looks like the ATV 1900PRO converts the audio.

I know this because I also have an older Popcorn Hour box and when I play the same movie it shows as DTS audio on my Yamaha receiver AV Receiver, if I set the Popcorn Hour box SPDIF output to raw.

Don't get me wrong, as I love the ATV 1900PRO, I just wanted to see if it could output a DTS digital audio stream.

14 hours ago, David22 said:

Justin, thanks for the quick response and yes I have done this and I am using the SPDIF setup.

However, I noticed that movie with DTS audio appears to be converted to PCM Dolby II when sent to my Yamaha AV Receiver, so looks like the ATV 1900PRO converts the audio.

I know this because I also have an older Popcorn Hour box and when I play the same movie it shows as DTS audio on my Yamaha receiver AV Receiver, if I set the Popcorn Hour box SPDIF output to raw.

Don't get me wrong, as I love the ATV 1900PRO, I just wanted to see if it could output a DTS digital audio stream.

You using KODI when trying to watch DTS audio?

Justin, found that you have to go into System setting in Kodi and under audio output you have to enable pass through and select that you have DTS capable AV Receiver.

The movies play back in 5.1 DTS audio (rather than down mix to 2 ch stereo)

Only issue I found was that if I tried to lower volume using the remote (goes to maximum as default) I lose audio and get buzzing sound from speakers until I put back to full volume.

I am using Kodi 16.1 with SPDIF connection, so plan to see if anything about this on Kodi sites.

12 hours ago, David22 said:

Justin, found that you have to go into System setting in Kodi and under audio output you have to enable pass through and select that you have DTS capable AV Receiver.

The movies play back in 5.1 DTS audio (rather than down mix to 2 ch stereo)

Only issue I found was that if I tried to lower volume using the remote (goes to maximum as default) I lose audio and get buzzing sound from speakers until I put back to full volume.

I am using Kodi 16.1 with SPDIF connection, so plan to see if anything about this on Kodi sites.

Have you given SPMC a try?

http://spmc.semperpax.com/

I have heard from a lot of people it works very well for DTS and DD audio.

Justin,

Did some searching of pass through of digital audio on SPDIF and volume noise issue and found that it may be a limitation of the SPDIF connection.

Apparently pass through on SPDIF has to be at full volume to work (as interface does not allow digital audio to be modified in any way).

However, pass through over HMDI is much more flexible (but alas my AV Receiver is older and does not support HMDI inputs (so maybe time to upgrade).

I any case now enjoying 5.1 Dolby digital and DTS audio, but just have to use volume control on my Yamaha Receiver (so no biggie).

On 4/5/2017 at 11:40 AM, Justin said:

Have you given SPMC a try?

http://spmc.semperpax.com/

I have heard from a lot of people it works very well for DTS and DD audio.

Hey Justin

I tried the spmc on my 1900pro and it was nothing but problems. Found that you can't have kodi and spmc installed at the same time or the apps get confused who's program files to access to run (verified in the spmc forum also). Couldn't get any audio at first, once I uninstalled kodi the audio worked but had video freezing issues and that's when I just took it off and put kodi back on and runs fine again.

On 4/7/2017 at 8:33 AM, bkwashby said:

Hey Justin

I tried the spmc on my 1900pro and it was nothing but problems. Found that you can't have kodi and spmc installed at the same time or the apps get confused who's program files to access to run (verified in the spmc forum also). Couldn't get any audio at first, once I uninstalled kodi the audio worked but had video freezing issues and that's when I just took it off and put kodi back on and runs fine again.

Sorry it did not work out for you.

I use SPMC myself, and read nothing but great reviews on it.