Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David22

Frame Rate Question

Frame Rate Question

Is there a video setting which allows the ATV 1900PRO to automatically switch to the frame rate used by the video file (e.g., 60 frames per second for TV shows and 24 frames per second for movies)?

As told it was better to play video back at the frame rate it was recorded at (as converting 24 frames per second to 60 frames per second means putting in extra frames, causing "judder" as 24 does not go evenly into 60), and modern TVs will automatically adjust to different frame rates.

HI David,

There unfortunately is not a switch that would do this automatically, that would likely be impossible to implement, sorry.

As for what you have heard, I have never experienced issues on my 240hz screen while using the 60fps settings. Once and awhile I will notice a movie that almost looks like a mexican soap opera (if that makes sense) and looks like a weird version of 60fps, but this was easily corrected on my tv, not android box, by changing the eye motion settings in my tv (LG feature).

EDIT: I looked further into this and found a setting under "preferences" called "hdmi self adaptation" that may help if you have found issue, but I see it has lots of issues throughout the forums I found it on.

Thanks for the quick response.

FYI, I have an older Popcorn Time box that would automatically switch to the frame rate used by the video file.

Don't get me wrong, as I love the ATV 1900PRO  and have recommended it to my friends.

And I do agree that setting ATV 1900PRO to 4K-60 Hz seems to work well, and allows me to play 4K content.

I tried setting Kodi to adjust frame rate (under System setting Playback) and then set Android HMDI self adaption to yes, but no go.  Frame rate stayed at what I set under Display Resolution.

When searched on web found there was a HMDI self adaption that had levels: 0 = OFF, 1 = adjust everything to 60 Hz frame rate (which MyGica does if you set the video resolution to 4K-60, and 2 = set frame rate same as video (however, I do not see these setting under HMDI self adaption on the MyGica, so possibly come from android marshmallow?)

Hence not sure if HMDI self adaption = Yes does anything on the ATV 1900 PRO?

Is there any reason why MyGica have not updated their boxes (at least the 64 bit ones) to a frame rate to at least 120?  My memory tells me that the frame rate sets the speed of refresh and in fast moving movies/shows this will make they can appear blurry.
Just wondering as I am looking at a newer box!

On 6/29/2017 at 10:16 AM, RYCBAR said:

Is there any reason why MyGica have not updated their boxes (at least the 64 bit ones) to a frame rate to at least 120?  My memory tells me that the frame rate sets the speed of refresh and in fast moving movies/shows this will make they can appear blurry.
Just wondering as I am looking at a newer box!

The chipset doesn't support 120FPS, that is why it does not work.