Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vova_y

Libreelec on ATV 1900PRO

Libreelec on ATV 1900PRO

Anyone have tried to run LibreElec on this box? I have tried to boot from SD card, but no luck - booting into recovery only.

Unless you reaaalllly want to play with your $200+ box to get Libreelec (or OSMC), there are easier ways to run Libreelec 8.0.0 (or the new (8.0.1) for $100 or less. I have 3 single board computers running various OS's now and couldn't be happier.  

4 hours ago, wjw said:

Unless you reaaalllly want to play with your $200+ box to get Libreelec (or OSMC), there are easier ways to run Libreelec 8.0.0 (or the new (8.0.1) for $100 or less. I have 3 single board computers running various OS's now and couldn't be happier.  

You have a point.  But why do I need to spend extra $, if I just would like to boot Libreelec from SD card just for fan. Definitely I don't have a plans to flash it to nand, 

If my goal to run Libreelec, definitely I can select different board like RPi. Anyways it is off the topic.  

On 3/26/2017 at 11:53 PM, vova_y said:

Libreelec on ATV 1900PRO

Anyone have tried to run LibreElec on this box? I have tried to boot from SD card, but no luck - booting into recovery only.

We currently don't support this

That is why it did not work for you.

I able to run LibreElec on 495Pro model and I believe it should work with 1900Pro model. It is portable version running from SD card (some modification to original LE). Original android version of Kodi 17.1 has serious problems with Dolby Digital (AC3) passthrought over HDMI, as well as don't support anything beyond DD (that I posted here already, but looks like MyGica just don't take it seriously).

17 hours ago, vova_y said:

I able to run LibreElec on 495Pro model and I believe it should work with 1900Pro model. It is portable version running from SD card (some modification to original LE). Original android version of Kodi 17.1 has serious problems with Dolby Digital (AC3) passthrought over HDMI, as well as don't support anything beyond DD (that I posted here already, but looks like MyGica just don't take it seriously).

If you got it to work on 495 Pro model, then it will work on 1900 Pro as they are using the same chipset and Android Firmware.
If you can, please share how you did this for others.

Also, you mention Kodi 17.1 has serious problems with DD on our boxes.
Is this an issue with our boxes or Kodi 17.1 itself?
Let me know so I can get it fixed if it is our issue.

About DD: here a thread about passthrough changes in Kodi 17.1: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289735

Per Kodi developer fritsch , in 17.1 they use different way to transmit compressed AC3 stream (and actually other compressed streams).  In 16.1 AC3, DTS, EAC3 compressed audio was packaged into IEC frame and transmitted over PCM 16bit. Android can inself tranform this stream (thinking that it is plain PCM stream) and cause noise. You can try to passthrough DD compressed audio in Kodi 16.1 and change volume using MyGica remote. Instead  of sound, you will get a noise.

With 17.1 they switched to IEC encoding, where compressed stream packaged into IEC framews and also transmitted over 16 bit PCM, but this time Android know that it is compressed audio transmitted over PCM16Bit and don't alter it.

And here is the problem with MyGica 495Pro and 1900Pro - they recognize IEC and transmit it correctly (volume trick doesn't work anymore), but after that you have to reboot to get  PCM work back. Fritsch say that it is defect in firmware and manufacturer should fix it. I didn't find anything in Kodi code as well. So I think MyGica should reproduce the problem (it is very easy) and fix it in firmware.

Thanks,

17 hours ago, vova_y said:

About DD: here a thread about passthrough changes in Kodi 17.1: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289735

Per Kodi developer fritsch , in 17.1 they use different way to transmit compressed AC3 stream (and actually other compressed streams).  In 16.1 AC3, DTS, EAC3 compressed audio was packaged into IEC frame and transmitted over PCM 16bit. Android can inself tranform this stream (thinking that it is plain PCM stream) and cause noise. You can try to passthrough DD compressed audio in Kodi 16.1 and change volume using MyGica remote. Instead  of sound, you will get a noise.

With 17.1 they switched to IEC encoding, where compressed stream packaged into IEC framews and also transmitted over 16 bit PCM, but this time Android know that it is compressed audio transmitted over PCM16Bit and don't alter it.

And here is the problem with MyGica 495Pro and 1900Pro - they recognize IEC and transmit it correctly (volume trick doesn't work anymore), but after that you have to reboot to get  PCM work back. Fritsch say that it is defect in firmware and manufacturer should fix it. I didn't find anything in Kodi code as well. So I think MyGica should reproduce the problem (it is very easy) and fix it in firmware.

Thanks,

I'm running Kodi 17.1 and all my .mp4, H264 movies are AC3 640kb/s 5.1 and they play perfect over passthrough (kodi audio setting) on my 1900Pro and my receiver decodes it perfect. I did notice that you have to have the sound output set to HDMI, not PCM or Auto detect in the android settings though for it to be smooth. With regards to PCM not working, I've noticed that also but only after you've used kodi and try to use another app, the sound is gone. I've been rebooting the box to get the sound back also. I haven't tried it yet but just thinking about it now. I've been using the home button to get out of kodi (which leaves kodi running in the background) so kodi still has control of the audio in that case. I wonder if I use the power button in kodi and select exit to actually close kodi if that will allow the OS to have control of the PCM audio again without having to reboot the box? I'm gonna try it tonight and get back on here if it works.

1 hour ago, bkwashby said:

I've noticed that also but only after you've used kodi and try to use another app, the sound is gone.

Sound gone permanently for any PCM output (all android apps usually use PCM output format.  Only reboot trick is working. Unfrotuntely I have tried various other options: closing, force closing, switching sound output from HDMI to PCM and back, but everything stay the same - only reboot helps. Since half of my files in AC3 and half in PCM, plus YouTube is in PCM, I don't like the idea to reboot box.

6 hours ago, vova_y said:

Sound gone permanently for any PCM output (all android apps usually use PCM output format.  Only reboot trick is working. Unfrotuntely I have tried various other options: closing, force closing, switching sound output from HDMI to PCM and back, but everything stay the same - only reboot helps. Since half of my files in AC3 and half in PCM, plus YouTube is in PCM, I don't like the idea to reboot box.

Ya you're right, I tried it all too. If you use kodi 17.1 and then try to use another app the sound is gone. Not even the touch sounds you get from moving the cursor around on the home page work and only way to restore it is by rebooting the box. Gonna have to be a firmware fix for that probably.

On 4/7/2017 at 5:39 PM, bkwashby said:

Ya you're right, I tried it all too. If you use kodi 17.1 and then try to use another app the sound is gone. Not even the touch sounds you get from moving the cursor around on the home page work and only way to restore it is by rebooting the box. Gonna have to be a firmware fix for that probably.

Hey Justin

Is this being looked into for the next FW update?

On 4/14/2017 at 10:44 AM, bkwashby said:

Hey Justin

Is this being looked into for the next FW update?

Please try newest firmware here and let me know

39 minutes ago, Justin said:

Please try newest firmware here and let me know

I already have the Mar 24 update installed. Was it modified again recently?

1 hour ago, bkwashby said:

I already have the Mar 24 update installed. Was it modified again recently?

Nothing was modified.

I personally use the 1900 PRO at home with this version of FW and do not get these issues.

Will have to try on other boxes.

1 hour ago, Justin said:

Nothing was modified.

I personally use the 1900 PRO at home with this version of FW and do not get these issues.

Will have to try on other boxes.

Gonna install the above .img that you just posed and try it again and see. I was also having issues when watching .mp4's off a usb hard drive in kodi, the video would freeze for a few minutes then the audio would start but video would stay froze. Had to stop the file and start it again to make it work but then it would still do it again at random. I know I said it was running perfect above but the FW has been installed for a while now and this issue had just started and don't know why.

56 minutes ago, bkwashby said:

Gonna install the above .img that you just posed and try it again and see. I was also having issues when watching .mp4's off a usb hard drive in kodi, the video would freeze for a few minutes then the audio would start but video would stay froze. Had to stop the file and start it again to make it work but then it would still do it again at random. I know I said it was running perfect above but the FW has been installed for a while now and this issue had just started and don't know why.

Okay so just reinstalled the mar 24th .img from scratch again and still when you go into kodi, if you play a video that has AC3 audio then exit kodi the PCM audio doesn't work for anything, even the click sound when you're scrolling through apps on the home screen, gone. In fact I don't even have to exit kodi, once I play a file with AC3 audio if I try to even watch a video off exodus, no audio unless I reboot the box.

22 hours ago, bkwashby said:

Okay so just reinstalled the mar 24th .img from scratch again and still when you go into kodi, if you play a video that has AC3 audio then exit kodi the PCM audio doesn't work for anything, even the click sound when you're scrolling through apps on the home screen, gone. In fact I don't even have to exit kodi, once I play a file with AC3 audio if I try to even watch a video off exodus, no audio unless I reboot the box.

Ok will report this to our guys and hope to fix it in our next update.