Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vova_y

Kodi 17.1 audio passthrough issue

Hi,

I have configured Kodi 17.1 to passthrough audio for Dolby Digital (DD) and enable transcoding. But as result has issue: after playing audio in DD (or transcoded to DD) all sounds are disappeared in a system (except other DD videos, that are continue to play normally). Kodi developer claims that it is firmware bug (see Kodi Forum).

DD = Dolby Digital

Steps I used:
1. Play tv captured file. Sound present.
2. Play test file with DD+. Converted to DD. Sound present.

3. Play file from step #1. So sound.
4. Play test file from step #2. Sound present.

After step 2 sound disappeared (except dd sound) in android (youtube, music player) and never re-appeared until reboot. 

Let's say after playing Dolby Digital once, only DD it can play unless you reboot box.

Settings are:
Passthrough: on
DD (AC3): on
Transcoding: on
Channels: 2.0

2 hours ago, vova_y said:

Hi,

I have configured Kodi 17.1 to passthrough audio for Dolby Digital (DD) and enable transcoding. But as result has issue: after playing audio in DD (or transcoded to DD) all sounds are disappeared in a system (except other DD videos, that are continue to play normally). Kodi developer claims that it is firmware bug (see Kodi Forum).

DD = Dolby Digital

Steps I used:
1. Play tv captured file. Sound present.
2. Play test file with DD+. Converted to DD. Sound present.

3. Play file from step #1. So sound.
4. Play test file from step #2. Sound present.

After step 2 sound disappeared (except dd sound) in android (youtube, music player) and never re-appeared until reboot. 

Let's say after playing Dolby Digital once, only DD it can play unless you reboot box.

Settings are:
Passthrough: on
DD (AC3): on
Transcoding: on
Channels: 2.0

I am a bit confused.

You changed those settings within Kodi and after words it caused no sound even on Android apps?

Yes, exactly. With those settings for passthrough(Passthrough: on, DD (AC3): on, Transcoding: on, Channels: 2.0) after playing any video with DD output in Kodi, sound disappeared everywhere. What is more interesting, I still have a sound in other DD videos.  Only way to get it back is to reboot box.

I suspect that after streaming DD(AC3), PCM streaming stop working.

Hi all,

I am having the same issue. When watching a video with 2 channel audio, all is fine. Thereafter i select a movie with DTS sound. It plays fine, but when i go back to the 2 channel audio file, there is no audio. Have to reboot the box.

Passthrough is allowed, AC3 is on, connecting to Yamaha Receiver via HDMI.

Further "googling" found:

Android Firmware that meets the IEC61937 Audio standard used in SPMC 16.6.0 / Kodi Krypton v17 currently includes the Xiaomi Mi Box, MINIX U9-H, nVIDIA Shield, WeTek Hub and the soon to be released WeTek Play2 MM Firmware update.

Any other Android Kodi boxes not implementing the IEC standard in Firmware will have DTS, DTS-HD and TrueHD Audio Passthrough issues with Kodi Krypton. These devices must use Kodi Jarvis for DTS & HD Audio passthrough (usually only AML S905 MINIX and WeTek) - OR Transcode the Audio to AC3, using the following Kodi Audio settings:

NOTE: In Kodi Settings > Player > Video > Sync playback to Display ...must be disabled to get any working Passthrough Audio

Number of Channels: 2.0
Passthrough: On
AC3: Yes
AC3 Transcoding: Yes
DTS: No

Basically my question is: Does the 495 Pro meet the above requirements (IEC standard) - or is a rolback to Kodi Jarvis my next step

10 hours ago, Bucks_Fizz said:

Hi all,

I am having the same issue. When watching a video with 2 channel audio, all is fine. Thereafter i select a movie with DTS sound. It plays fine, but when i go back to the 2 channel audio file, there is no audio. Have to reboot the box.

Passthrough is allowed, AC3 is on, connecting to Yamaha Receiver via HDMI.

Further "googling" found:

Android Firmware that meets the IEC61937 Audio standard used in SPMC 16.6.0 / Kodi Krypton v17 currently includes the Xiaomi Mi Box, MINIX U9-H, nVIDIA Shield, WeTek Hub and the soon to be released WeTek Play2 MM Firmware update.

Any other Android Kodi boxes not implementing the IEC standard in Firmware will have DTS, DTS-HD and TrueHD Audio Passthrough issues with Kodi Krypton. These devices must use Kodi Jarvis for DTS & HD Audio passthrough (usually only AML S905 MINIX and WeTek) - OR Transcode the Audio to AC3, using the following Kodi Audio settings:

NOTE: In Kodi Settings > Player > Video > Sync playback to Display ...must be disabled to get any working Passthrough Audio

Number of Channels: 2.0
Passthrough: On
AC3: Yes
AC3 Transcoding: Yes
DTS: No

Basically my question is: Does the 495 Pro meet the above requirements (IEC standard) - or is a rolback to Kodi Jarvis my next step

Will get back with you later this week

Thanks

On 5/9/2017 at 1:38 AM, Bucks_Fizz said:

Hi Justin, Any update?

Still being looked at

As were having a hard time reproducing it.

1 hour ago, hazelbag said:

Hi Justin. Same issue here. Any update on the issue?

Still the same status as my post from Wednesday.

Can anyone let me know if you are using DD encoded video files from a USB drive or you are streaming them?

If from a USB drive, can you let me know where to find it so we can use the exact same files.

2 hours ago, Justin said:

Can anyone let me know if you are using DD encoded video files from a USB drive or you are streaming them?

If from a USB drive, can you let me know where to find it so we can use the exact same files.

I used a copy of a movie I ripped to my NAS drive. Used handbrake to make a copy of it.  Not sure how to share it though. Oh and the movie is American Sniper

Just now, hazelbag said:

I used a copy of a movie I ripped to my NAS drive. Used handbrake to make a copy of it.  Not sure how to share it though. Oh and the movie is American Sniper

Ok I think I can just try some of the KODI samples they have on their Wiki Page.

Hi Justin,

I am playing a file from external HDD - Bluray rip (yes it is a legally owned copy).

It is a MKV file, 1080, with DTS audio track (or master HD).

On KOdi, passthrough is set to on, AC3 capable receiver on. Enable dolby digital transcoding is on. (Without this set to own, you don't get the DTS track)

When the movie plays with these settings, it sounds great. WHen you exit the movie, all the "click" sounds are gone and any video not encoded in DTS or Dolby does not play audio

Hope this helps

On 5/18/2017 at 8:22 AM, Bucks_Fizz said:

Hi Justin,

I am playing a file from external HDD - Bluray rip (yes it is a legally owned copy).

On KOdi, passthrough is set to on, AC3 capable receiver on. Enable dolby digital transcoding is on. (Without this set to own, you don't get the DTS track)

When the movie plays with these settings, it sounds great. WHen you exit the movie, all the "click" sounds are gone and any video not encoded in DTS or Dolby does not play audio

Hope this helps

Thanks for your comments.

On 5/18/2017 at 8:22 AM, Bucks_Fizz said:

Hi Justin,

Hope this helps

Just a couple quick questions. Have you tried adjusting the settings in the android audio output type? not in kodi. What happens with other audio types when you change the android audio output settings?

Next, can you please try these files in vlc, to see if they react the same way? I apologize if you have already tried doing these things. I want to try to jump in and test this out as well.

Hi,

I have tried setting the android digital sounds out to auto - it defaults to PCM. I have also forced it to HDMI. Same result in Kodi.

I will DL VLC and test there.

Also. when setting the android digital sounds to Auto, the 4K movie player (stock mygica 495 app), does not supply sound. Only when setting the box to HDMI do i get the surround sound.

If i set the box to PCM, and change Kodi to not allow passthrough, all sounds play - regardless of digital soundtrack. But then you lose the DTS sound.

If i set the box to allow passthrough, but not encode AC3, again you get the sounds but no dolby. The receiver does try and encode to surround (when surround mode selected on the receiver) but the sound is not the same as as the digital soundtrack on the film.

Hi Bucks,

I finally have a proper reciever to test this out on, I am going to look into this and if it really is a firmware issue, then at least we will be able to solve it. I will report back with my finding when I can.

In the meantime, have you tried out vlc yet?

Hi,

I downloaded VLC from the play store.

Chose a file with DTS audio - No audio stream played.

Set 495 to digital sound autodetect, it defaulted to PCM - Again no audio stream played.

Tried to find the setting on VLC - Audio stream choice is SSL or audio track - No sound on either setting.

Essentially - VLC is a no go (unless i missed a setting somewhere)

Hi All,

Well i figured i had better do my due diligence and test all hardware:

I connected a laptop and loaded Kodi 17.3. Laptop has a HDMI output.

Connected to my receiver and set Kodi to allow passthrough, encoding etc. Same as the 495 Pro.

Tried the same movie with DTS sound - Perfect! Full 7.1 surround and the receiver showed DTS soundtrack was being played.

Exited the movie and selected a stereo file - Again Perfect!. No sound issues anymore.

Also with the laptop i have solved the issue of maximum HDD size (although my 4TB works fine on the 495 - so not really a problem)

And another big plus is i can share the drive and copy new media over the network instead of having to unplug the external each time.

And to top it all off, the 495 keyboard remote works on the laptop.

SO at this stage, the 495 has been disconnected.

I really hope this sound issue on the 495 can be sorted because it is a great little box.

But at least i now know it wasn't my Kodi, cables, media files or AV receiver causing my problem

On 5/27/2017 at 5:37 AM, Bucks_Fizz said:

Hi All,

Well i figured i had better do my due diligence and test all hardware:

I connected a laptop and loaded Kodi 17.3. Laptop has a HDMI output.

Connected to my receiver and set Kodi to allow passthrough, encoding etc. Same as the 495 Pro.

Tried the same movie with DTS sound - Perfect! Full 7.1 surround and the receiver showed DTS soundtrack was being played.

Exited the movie and selected a stereo file - Again Perfect!. No sound issues anymore.

Also with the laptop i have solved the issue of maximum HDD size (although my 4TB works fine on the 495 - so not really a problem)

And another big plus is i can share the drive and copy new media over the network instead of having to unplug the external each time.

And to top it all off, the 495 keyboard remote works on the laptop.

SO at this stage, the 495 has been disconnected.

I really hope this sound issue on the 495 can be sorted because it is a great little box.

But at least i now know it wasn't my Kodi, cables, media files or AV receiver causing my problem

SPMC has all of this working fine

Have you given that a try yet?

1 minute ago, hazelbag said:

I haven't tried it but it does though defy the purpose of the box then as the main reason I got it was for kodi 17.

SPMC is based on KODI 17.3

So you get all of the same functions of KODI.

It is made by the developer "Koying" who is a TEAM KODI member