Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vova_y

Kodi 17.1 audio passthrough issue

On 8/19/2017 at 0:26 PM, QVortex said:

Hi Justin:

If it helps, here's a bit more info. BTW, I'm using a 495Pro (Build MyGicaS905V1.30), Kodi 17.3 and an Onkyo Receiver.

When the 495Pro has a fresh restart, my Onkyo's front display shows "PL II Movie" (Pro Logic II) and I can hear system sounds as I navigate around the main MyGica menu.

When I start Kodi for the first time, the Onkyo switches to "All Ch St" (All Channel Stereo). I can hear the Kodi menu sounds and the MyGica system sounds continue working as well. At this point, I can successfully play (and hear) any 2.0 or 5.1 video. As long as I stick to 2.0 videos, the Onkyo keeps showing "All Ch St" and all menu/system sounds keep working. As soon as I play a 5.1 video, the Onkyo switches to "Dolby D". The 5.1 movie sounds great but all menu/system sounds stop working. I can continue playing 5.1 videos perfectly but 2.0 videos are now silent and the Onkyo remains at "Dolby D".

Like Bucks_Fizz mentions, the only way to play a 2.0 video (with sound) after playing a 5.1 video requires the 495Pro to be restarted.

Thanks for the explanation

We were able to reproduce this all here

So now trying to fix this issue.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 0:28 AM, Bucks_Fizz said:

Hi all,

I am having the same issue. When watching a video with 2 channel audio, all is fine. Thereafter i select a movie with DTS sound. It plays fine, but when i go back to the 2 channel audio file, there is no audio. Have to reboot the box.

Passthrough is allowed, AC3 is on, connecting to Yamaha Receiver via HDMI.

Further "googling" found:

Android Firmware that meets the IEC61937 Audio standard used in SPMC 16.6.0 / Kodi Krypton v17 currently includes the Xiaomi Mi Box, MINIX U9-H, nVIDIA Shield, WeTek Hub and the soon to be released WeTek Play2 MM Firmware update.

Any other Android Kodi boxes not implementing the IEC standard in Firmware will have DTS, DTS-HD and TrueHD Audio Passthrough issues with Kodi Krypton. These devices must use Kodi Jarvis for DTS & HD Audio passthrough (usually only AML S905 MINIX and WeTek) - OR Transcode the Audio to AC3, using the following Kodi Audio settings:

NOTE: In Kodi Settings > Player > Video > Sync playback to Display ...must be disabled to get any working Passthrough Audio

Number of Channels: 2.0
Passthrough: On
AC3: Yes
AC3 Transcoding: Yes
DTS: No

Basically my question is: Does the 495 Pro meet the above requirements (IEC standard) - or is a rolback to Kodi Jarvis my next step

That's very interesting information. Explains the issues with a majority of the boxes I've had. I too wonder if the 495Pro meets these requirements.

Hi Guys

It really does not seem like we are getting any further in this matter.

And to update on the 5.1 audio problem. It is not only in Kodi that I do not get 5.1 audio out - playing a 5.1 source video in the MyGica ATV 495Pro's default player I also do not get any 5.1 audio out. I am not even thinking about DTS............................

Tried it both on the Marantz and Denon receiver - only show stereo PCM coming in.

So please......can you do something about this or not?

Must we sell this unit as a STEREO Audio unit only? If so, bring the price down please.

Thank you

Hey guys

Sorry I have not been on the forum for the last month.

I keep pushing for this to be fixed, and have been met with no viable solution yet.
I will push even harder this week to finally get this resolved

I understand all of your frustrations with this, and I want to get it resolved as this has gone on way too long

On 9/25/2017 at 10:59 AM, Justin said:

Hey guys

Sorry I have not been on the forum for the last month.

I keep pushing for this to be fixed, and have been met with no viable solution yet.
I will push even harder this week to finally get this resolved

I understand all of your frustrations with this, and I want to get it resolved as this has gone on way too long

So after pushing even harder, I was able to get an answer that Amlogic must help us with this issue

As the issue comes from their chipset and the Android OS SDK they have provided us.
We use the S905-B chipset, which has Dolby Hardware decoding.

So we are getting somewhere with this
I will continue to update you guys

Thanks

2 hours ago, Puggsley456 said:

I just wonder why this was not vetted prior to product release. Now many of us are stuck with boxes that we have to hope and pray you an fix a key functional component.

This will get fixed
But yes you are right it should have been vetted prior to release.

I apologize for that, but I will get this taken care of

My point is - the problem has nothing to do with KODI - it is the My Gica box/software combination that is the problem.

I can get 5.1 though on Kodi on My Gica495Pro.....but nothing on the on the default MyGica playback software. And like mentioned before in the posts, once you do get 5.1 to work through Kodi, going back to MyGica default player, no sound at all and the box has to be restarted.

It also does not support AC3 playback.

Sort out the MyGica box default software and drivers and I am sure the rest will be fine. 

Still no updates:

What really irks me is i like to watch music videos on the box. Some videos are 5.1 while others are 2.0. 

So as a result, i cannot play in party mode because the moment it plays a 5.1 video, all the rest (2.0) have no audio.

I am in the market for a new box... And won't be recommending the Mygica to anyone going forward.

7 months - no resolution!!

Don't know if this will help anyone, but i changed my settings and managed to get "some" surround sound without a reboot:

1. 495 sound settings set to auto detect - It defaults to PCM

2. Kodi set to Enable passthrough but NOT AC3 compatible receiver (subnote says if receiver can decode digital through PCM on HDMI port, leave off)

3. AUdio set to optimised

Result is that my receiver decodes the 5.1 track as long as i select PLXii on the receiver and NOT direct sound. It does give surround sound but not the DTS soundtrack. 

I played Armageddon and i can definitely hear the Asteroid coming from behind me to the front hehe. 

I am fortunate to have a receiver that can decode Dolby through PCM - not everyone has one

A small workaround as we are getting ZERO support from mygica on this issue

Hi Lahouter,

I too had the jerky playback. 

If the Android digital sounds are set to HDMI (not auto detect), then KODI is set to: enable passthrough, AC3 capable receiver, Decode AC3 signal on, then you get the Digital soundtrack through a digital receiver (Onkyno definitely is one). Also no Jerky video.

However once you have played a 5.1 video, you lose the 2.0 channel sound, which includes the kodi clicks. But the jerky playback is gone.

To workaround, i set the Android digital sounds to auto (PCM). Then in Kodi: enable passthrough, AC3 capable receiver. But set the decode AC3 signal to OFF.

The receiver will still show you are getting a PCM signal (not digital) but if your receiver has a surround setting (Dolby PLxii as an example), select that option on the receiver instead of "straight". This allows the receiver to decode the Digital soundtrack to surround (PCM via HDMI).

This worked for me and allows me to play all files with no jerking and surround sound. 

Granted you do not get the DTS sound and i have noticed i lose a bit on the subwoofer, but the receiver does a decent job of decoding.

Not perfect but at least i am not constantly rebooting the box.

Try it and see if that works for you (sorry i have a 495pro)

BTW : Running Kodi 17.5, Yamaha 7.1 receiver, LG 4K - all HDMI 2.2 connections

Hi Bucks,

Appreciate the feedback. But herein lies the problem. You must jump through hoops, complete an obstacle course, do a complex rain dance and finally summon the gods of technology. Should they be in a good mood they will bestow some level of functionality unto the device. It will most likely not be what you prayed for but if you upset the gods, they will again render your device to nothing more than a useless brick! I have again tried 10 different config changes this morning and did not get any positive results. And by positive I mean getting the device to do something as simple as...do what the spec says it can! 

With all due respect if a device is that complex and expensive, requiring a high level of technical skills to operate to get some little bit of useability...I feel so sorry for the bulk of the user base out there. Enough ranting....I set up a Plex server this morning, 15 minutes later I was playing a movie with DTS over my network..PLUG and PLAY! I then created the perfect ending to my morning by going to the takealot website and politely asking them to come and collect this utter piece of crap! 

Don't bother! I returned my device....got my money back and that is the only thing about the device that made me happy! Than added R600 and bought the Apple TV 4K! WOW WOW WOW!!!! From the start everything just worked!! Installed Infuse 5, connected to my NAS (smooth as silk) and started building the library! Pure joy! Everything just plays perfectly! Get DD, & DD DTS immediately! Something the MyGica is incapable of doing! I may sound like a pessimist just moaning but if I can advise on something...go get the Apple TV!  It is worth the money!

8 hours ago, lahouter said:

Don't bother! I returned my device....got my money back and that is the only thing about the device that made me happy! Than added R600 and bought the Apple TV 4K! WOW WOW WOW!!!! From the start everything just worked!! Installed Infuse 5, connected to my NAS (smooth as silk) and started building the library! Pure joy! Everything just plays perfectly! Get DD, & DD DTS immediately! Something the MyGica is incapable of doing! I may sound like a pessimist just moaning but if I can advise on something...go get the Apple TV!  It is worth the money!

Glad you found an alternative. My problem is i have external HDD full of files that i want to play from - no NAS. And if memory serves, Apple TV does not accept external USB. So i am stuck needing a Media streamer solution

Yes you are right..it does not have a USB port...but most routers today have and it is quite easy then to play the files from the Apple TV when HD is directly plugged into Router. If your wi-fi signal is strong you should have no issue. 

Just a quick update on this issue guys. I know it seems we are ignoring this, but I assure you its the first thing I ask the engineers each week when we meet.

Our main developer says they have discovered what is causing this problem. They are working with AM Logic to find a solution for this. We will update with anything that develops . Hopefully this will be a quick process at this point.