Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MyGicaNewBee

Kodi 17 on Lollipop vs. Forked Kodi 17 on Kit Kat?

Hello all. I'm a newbie and have been doing a lot of research which has left me a bit confused. (NOTE: I have an 1800e running 4.4.2.)

Basically, is it better to upgrade to OS 5.0, then upgrade Kodi to version 17 or to upgrade to the "forked" version of Kodi 17 on boxes running 4.4.2?

I've read a bunch of discussions mentioning... no root folders, only getting red and green screens, bricking, beta versions, etc. and my head is spinning. I was pretty sure I was going to upgrade to 5.0 first but now that I've seen this YouTube video with this "forked" version, I'm not sure. It's enticing to go the easy route but I don't want to mess everything up just because I was lazy. As I'm so new and a bit nervous, I want to only do this upgrade once (until of course, the next big one comes by). ;)

I hope this makes sense. HELP!

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, MyGicaNewBee said:

Hello all. I'm a newbie and have been doing a lot of research which has left me a bit confused. (NOTE: I have an 1800e running 4.4.2.)

Basically, is it better to upgrade to OS 5.0, then upgrade Kodi to version 17 or to upgrade to the "forked" version of Kodi 17 on boxes running 4.4.2?

I've read a bunch of discussions mentioning... no root folders, only getting red and green screens, bricking, beta versions, etc. and my head is spinning. I was pretty sure I was going to upgrade to 5.0 first but now that I've seen this YouTube video with this "forked" version, I'm not sure. It's enticing to go the easy route but I don't want to mess everything up just because I was lazy. As I'm so new and a bit nervous, I want to only do this upgrade once (until of course, the next big one comes by). ;)

I hope this makes sense. HELP!

Thanks!

The forked version can be run separately from Kodi 16.x
So if you do not want to lose any data, or have to start fresh with Android 5.1

Then I would suggest trying the forked version of Kodi to run on Kit Kat first.

Just now, MyGicaNewBee said:

Thanks for the REALLY quick reply! I'll give the forked version a shot. Just to be sure, the file I'm using to upload is "mygicaMediaCenter20170310.apk", correct?

Yes that is the correct file.