Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spyrule

1800e Android 5.1 beta, spoofing MAC addresses at each power up?

Hello,

I recently upgraded my 1800e from this link:

After doing that, It seems to "create" a new MAC address each time I power it on. The problem with this, is that I run a strict firewall, so I have to update it everytime I want to use it. I am using Kodi 17 (that is pretty much all i use it for), so I'm not sure if its Kodi doing it or the device. However, I keep getting a new device is on my network evertime I power up the device.

Is there a way to turn off/or assign a static MAC address to the device on boot?

On 4/15/2017 at 6:02 PM, spyrule said:

Hello,

After doing that, It seems to "create" a new MAC address each time I power it on. The problem with this, is that I run a strict firewall, so I have to update it everytime I want to use it. I am using Kodi 17 (that is pretty much all i use it for), so I'm not sure if its Kodi doing it or the device. However, I keep getting a new device is on my network evertime I power up the device.

Is there a way to turn off/or assign a static MAC address to the device on boot?

The device is doing this.

We are aware of the issue. Will try and fix it in next update.

Is there any app or something in the interim that will stop this from going on?

I'm running on the rooted version of the firmware so I'm just hunting around for something to fix this.

On 17/04/2017 at 1:28 PM, Justin said:

The device is doing this.

We are aware of the issue. Will try and fix it in next update.

Not trying to be rude Justin, but how long until a new patch is available? Another 6 months?  It seems as though patching/releases/updates for these items are taking a generation to be released/update.  The patch cycle/release time is much, MUCH too slow considering we all paid for this device, and one of the main selling features was its future ability to remain relevant to current versions of kodi/etc.

On 4/15/2017 at 3:02 PM, spyrule said:

Hello,

not sure if i can offer ya anything ya havent tried but perhaps in your security software try allowing the  box address a bypass ? or exemption type of deal if that makes sense at all. untill there is a fix that is. hope that helps a bit anyhoo.. jus my 2 pennies worth i guess.. good luck

On 2017-4-29 at 4:26 AM, no12nv said:

not sure if i can offer ya anything ya havent tried but perhaps in your security software try allowing the  box address a bypass ? or exemption type of deal if that makes sense at all. untill there is a fix that is. hope that helps a bit anyhoo.. jus my 2 pennies worth i guess.. good luck

T hanks dude, I use an enterprise grade UTM that requires forwarding both in and out, and I mostly control my traffic via both MAC and service/service type. So everytime the MAC address changes, (which is everytime I power it up... we only use that tv 2-3 times per week), I get a new MAC address, which forces me to have to update my firewall. Its just an annoying extra 5 minutes, but whats more annoying is that sometimes I have to reboot my device, and then I have to do it again....

On 5/8/2017 at 7:39 PM, spyrule said:

T hanks dude, I use an enterprise grade UTM that requires forwarding both in and out, and I mostly control my traffic via both MAC and service/service type. So everytime the MAC address changes, (which is everytime I power it up... we only use that tv 2-3 times per week), I get a new MAC address, which forces me to have to update my firewall. Its just an annoying extra 5 minutes, but whats more annoying is that sometimes I have to reboot my device, and then I have to do it again....

Yes I agree this is annoying

And not sure why it does this.
Trying to get an update to this still.