Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ssago

setting up another atv1200

love my atv1200 so i got one for my dad,my question is can i backup my box and restore it to his new box so he can have all my settings and addons which would save me all the setup time that i put into my box?thank you.

I don't know if you can backup the whole box.... but you can backup XBMC using the XBMC Backup Add-on which can be installed from XBMC.org Add-ons -> Program Add-ons. Just back yours up to a usb stick or SD card and transfer it to your Dad's box and use Restore. You will have to first install the XBMC Backup Add-on on the other box. just a note, you will need to configure the backup path to the external storage in on both boxes.

I don't know if you can backup the whole box.... but you can backup XBMC using the XBMC Backup Add-on which can be installed from XBMC.org Add-ons -> Program Add-ons. Just back yours up to a usb stick or SD card and transfer it to your Dad's box and use Restore. You will have to first install the XBMC Backup Add-on on the other box. just a note, you will need to configure the backup path to the external storage in on both boxes.

Great suggestion

How do I configure the backup path to the external storage?

Rick

This video should explain XBMC Backup.

Or what is now called Backup on KODI

i7RoNl7_jvc

To configure where your backup goes, go to Settings-Add-ons-Enabled Add-ons-Program Add-ons and there you should have 'Backup' add-on if you installed it previously from Kodi repository. Click on Backup and then Configure - there for Remote Path Type choose Browse path (likely that's default that shows without doing anything) and on line just below it click and guide it to your SD card or USB key, than OK it at the bottom to save.

I am 'solving' the same problem, facing setup of eight other boxes that I would like all to be replica of the one I configured. So far what I did was doing this Backup inside Kodi (and also inside TVMC which is XBMC Gotham 13.2 where the backup app is called XBMC Backup).

Then back in Android I use App-backup app to backup apps I added to the recent February firmware update - TeamviewerQS and its Add-on AOSP plus Kodi and TVMC. The last two I think I may not use, I think they might just restore non-configured Kodi or TVMC and if that is the case I might as well install them normal way. I will try and see this weekend and report the results I get in restoring these backups.

I did two boxes - first one I used configuration wizard from tvaddons.ag (its brilliant) and then installed and uninstalled several add-ons and changed some addon shortcuts on the bottom to my liking and the result was 293 MB after the wizard and 344 MB big after my added tweaks (in Android in Settings in Apps you can check the size of Kodi). The other box I restored what I thought was essentially the same configuration but I ended with bigger size - 399 MB. Could be due to the thing I write about bellow, about how the box tends to get filled and you never get back to starting point if you uninstall...

This last weekend I played with another box, installed TVMC from the same site and played with configuring and trying out skins etc in both Kodi and TVMC and they balooned up in size and when I had ~250 MB free space left on the internal flesh memory, things slowed down very much, it even got so I couldn't go deep in Kodi settings anymore, in the end had to delete TVMC to make space but will clean up Kodi and start from scratch, it seems installing and unistalling stuff never brings you back to original size, even cleaning the Kodi cache in Android.

Edit: as a follow up, the restoration via Backup or XBMC Backup apps works as advertised, you just have to recreate the shortcuts for Addo-ons as those don't get regenerated for you. Otherwise everything else gets restored, repositories, addons...