Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PeterPedro

Hard disk issues

Hard disk issues

Hi

I'm impressed with this device but it does not work perfectly with hard disk commands, write/copy/delete. 

I've formatted the 2TB hard disk in ntfs and ex-fat but my dilemma is the files and even the partitions keep being removed/deleted. I've read the post about the device not relating to the root directory of the hard disk and tried the "part0 subdirectory approach " but to no avail. Understanding the device is not a pc and of limited processing power can you please give me the best scenario for me to use the device as I had intended when buying it, i.e. store a big load of kids movies and be able to view, copy and delete them from the hard disk.

I do not think the device is faulty, it just seems to be overloaded through data commands.

Thanks

P

This is something we are working on too, not all but some Hard drives are not detected we are trying to figure out if it is due to the speed of the hard drive or type of hard drive.

I'm not sure if this helps but there is new firmware available for the ATV 1900 and the ATV 1960 which may have something to do with a fix for this ?

11 hours ago, PeterPedro said:

Is there a way to exchange the unit for the 1960?

Please and thanks

The ATV 1960 will be available in October.

But we are not able to do upgrade for this, that is up to the seller you purchased it from.

I can double check but I believe I purchased it from mygica through Amazon. I'm receiving a usb to SATA connection tomorrow, can you please advise on optimal formatting for 2 tb HDD using an Apple laptop (i.e. partition or not, exfat or ntfs etc). If I can get the HDD to be read without deleting files I have a workaround that will suit the purpose it was bought for.

Many thanks Justin 

4 hours ago, PeterPedro said:

I can double check but I believe I purchased it from mygica through Amazon. I'm receiving a usb to SATA connection tomorrow, can you please advise on optimal formatting for 2 tb HDD using an Apple laptop (i.e. partition or not, exfat or ntfs etc). If I can get the HDD to be read without deleting files I have a workaround that will suit the purpose it was bought for.

Many thanks Justin 

As a guy using a  1T hard drive, and not losing any data, I converted my HD from exFAT to NTFS using windows and Command line. 

Same one I have been using. It does not come formatted and will not be detected until it is formatted. Hopefully you have a Windows pc with a usb  to SATA cable so you can format it in NTFS as suggested above. This was the initial format I had used and it worked well until I tried to copy or delete multiple files so I'd suggest if you get it formatted and detected by the device then just do single file operations using kodi or hd file explorer app. It did not have any issue storing files but once you get the msg "this operation cannot be performed" then it's basically game over and the partition is wiped or the way the device maps the drive becomes corrupt and cannot be refreshed. Let me know if you get it working please!!

35 minutes ago, Heavy said:

I have installed a Seagate Barracuda 2tb hdd. Can someone assist me in finding the drive via the File manager.

48 minutes ago, Heavy said:

I have installed a Seagate Barracuda 2tb hdd. Can someone assist me in finding the drive via the File manager.

Sorry, to answer your question directly, under hd file explorer app the hard disk is identified by "udisk1", in kodi file, settings, file manager it is identified by the volume label assigned at the time of format & shows 1.98 TB capacity

The measage of doom is this

"failed to copy at least one file. Check the log for more information about this message.

Operation was aborted"

@Justin, @bendaredondat - I can't actually find any log details 

@Heavy

This msg renders any exFAT disk to loose partitions/files  however this does not seem to happen with NTFS. Nonetheless, the device (my device) does not allow file manipulation from usb or sd card to hard disk of files over 1GB once this message has been achieved (i.e. copy move delete). It does however allow apps to download the files directly to any of the storage spots  ( usb/sd card/hard disk )

SOLUTION

if you need another copy of a file then download it again! Dont risk the corruption feature I've been plagued with by trying to copy, move and delete files. Double check your download location beforehand. 

Hard disk format; NTFS 

Partitons; Any

File manipulation; Requires Windows device & usb to SATA cable

I'm not yet 100% this workaround is actually foolproof, time will tell but it suits my needs.