Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

capkasa

Youtube issues, no 4k

Youtube issues, no 4k

I have a new unit with updated firmware. resolution set to 4k30p. All the unser interface shows 4k resolution also TV mode shows it. 100mbit internet.

installed youtube plays nicely and has a quality option which never shows 4K. I have the feeling no video is played in 4k.

- once I update the youtube app I cannot used the search function anymore (issue known and unsolved) and there is no quality option and I still have feeling all videos play in FullHD only. Lacking the crispness and detail.

Also the android status bar on top never disappears. which is annoying while watching and actually cutting off bottom content

so I bought to unit to watch 4k:
- it doesn't support exFat for larger files
- USB2 can be too slow to play high quality movies
- netflix doesn't play in 4k, actually installed netflix doesn't even play in HD, not even 720p I would say.
- youtube doesn't play in 4k

pretty useless for me. I sat hours on this. Still hoping to get some issues resolved.

Installing the Netflix ninja 3.3.2 doesn't help as it always starts with an error.

I need a fix for playing youtube in 4k and Netflix in 4k. That's what I bought the unit for.

Plex also not working in 4k. The whole user interface is FullHD only and no 4K content plays (about 1 frame per minute). Server connected via ethernet. same as mygica.

Sorry, that link is old.  Try this link instead for the latest version:

https://www.official-plus.com/ogyoutube

I downloaded and installed "microG" and "OGYouTube" according to the instructions.  The app runs, but my box is only connected to a Full HD/1080p TV (my UHD/4K TV is a Smart TV in another room, so I don't need an Android box).  The app has other cool settings and features for downloading also.

You can also try this method (requires your box to be rooted):

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-watch-4k-youtube-videos-on-non-4k-phones/

The fact that some smart people are able to hack and get YouTube in 4K confirms that it is Google, in its infinite wisdom, that decided whether the masses can watch 4K and on which devices ... it's not the hardware and not the manufacturer (whether MyGica or others).

Regarding Plex, it may be the setup of your Plex Media Server and Plex Media Player (client).  It sounds like the server is transcoding the video to the client, which results in 1 frame per minute.  You may have to adjust the server/client settings to get Direct Play to work.

I used to run Plex Media Server on a PC, but I don't have that anymore.  I just run a basic DLNA server on my ATV495PRO (no transcoding functionality) and can stream in 4K to my LG 4K WebOS Smart TV. 

To check if the issue is related to Plex, try testing with another DLNA server (maybe BubbleUPnP) and another client (maybe MX Player).

20 hours ago, wcs2229 said:

It sounds like the server is transcoding the video to the client, which results in 1 frame per minute.  You may have to adjust the server/client settings to get Direct Play to work.

Indeed. That worked now for Plex. Client was set to 1080p strictly. 4k now playing. And how can I get rid of the android status bar while movies play? it actually shows plex symbol 3 times even if I force stop the program or restart

It is up to Google and/or Plex (or any other app) whether the Android status bar shows up or can go into fullscreen mode.

You may be able to change the Plex client settings (maybe Experience -> Application layout).

22 hours ago, wcs2229 said:

Sorry, that link is old.  Try this link instead for the latest version:

https://www.official-plus.com/ogyoutube

I downloaded and installed "microG" and "OGYouTube" according to the instructions.  The app runs, but my box is only connected to a Full HD/1080p TV (my UHD/4K TV is a Smart TV in another room, so I don't need an Android box).  The app has other cool settings and features for downloading also.

thanks. Installation was flawless BUT:

- no scrolling, no usage of arrow buttons. whole app to be used with mouse function only and no scrolling means I just get 4-8 videos for a selection
- NO 4k resolution as far as I can see. And no setting limiting or specificall allowing it

If you are using the KR41 included remote, then I recommend you buy a "real" flying airmouse (e.g., MyGica KR301, Rii i24) that has swiping to scroll and moves the cursor like a mouse ... it makes a huge difference in the usability of the box and all the apps.

The OGYouTube website actually says that you can watch up to 1440p (not quite 4K) and download in 2160p (4K).  If you click on a video while playing, you will see 3 dots in the top right corner where you can change the quality/resolution.  For me, I am quite happy with only 1080p.

On my box, the Plex Media Player client defaults to fullscreen mode (at 1080p), with no Android status bar.  I have "Mobile" as the Application layout.

On 11/12/2017 at 5:11 AM, capkasa said:

so I bought to unit to watch 4k:

- it doesn't support exFat for larger files
- USB2 can be too slow to play high quality movies

Regarding larger files (>2GB), the NTFS format works for read/write on my ATV495PRO.  NTFS handles even large files/drives than exFat.  I formatted a USB 2.0 flash drive to NTFS on my PC and successfully copied files back/forth to the unit's internal memory.

In terms of USB 2.0 speed, it took 4min 45sec to copy a 3.5GB file from the flash drive to internal memory, which works out to approx. 12MB/sec or 100Mb/sec.  This should be more than sufficient for 4K video.  The speed is equivalent the unit's maximum Ethernet speed and much higher than the Netflix 4K recommended 25Mb/sec speed.