Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DJjuanSA

ATV495pro

ATV495pro

Hi I have just received a ATV495Pro and it has got android 5.1 installed on it yet the website says that android ver 6.0 is installed how do i update to android ver 6?

There is a difference between the ATV 495Pro and ATV 495Pro HDR as they have different chipsets and the HDR being more recent has Android 6

Thanks but then the marketing in South Africa is incorrect. The pro I purchased also has 4K and was marketed as 6. Is there any upgrade path ?

I did not ask about 6k products. I asked about android 6. Is there is a misunderstanding perhaps ? Android is available for this chipset so why is MyGica behind ?

Other than a perceived "need for speed", what is missing from 5.1 you are looking for?  Android 5.1 is chip specific for the underlying processor S905 and the S905X uses Android 6.0

here is a good reference, https://www.cnx-software.com/2016/07/31/amlogic-s905-vs-s905x-benchmarks-comparison/

and Quoting, "Please note that currently most S905 TV boxes run Android 5.1, while Amlogic S905X devices are already running Android 6.0, so the latter may benefit from some small performance boosts due to more recent firmware. But in any case, that represents a side-by-side comparison of what you can expect from devices sold on July/August 2016, although some Amlogic S905 devices are now getting Android 6.0 Marshmallow firmware updates.

The main takeaway is that you should expect slightly lower performance from Amlogic S905X compared to S905, so the new processor is only interesting if you need 4K VP9 hardware decoding (not usable for YouTube 4K, except in the upcoming Xiaomi Mi Box), and/or High Dynamic Range support, or if the price is cheaper compared to an equivalent S905 TV box."

If anything the ATV 495 Pro has double the memory @ 16 GB eMMC of the ATV 495Pro HDR

Hope this helps

Thank you. I am indeed no android user. In fact I am swinging all my home devices to to android from Apple due to lack of initiative and the inability to expand in the home tv space, not to mention value for money of the plethora of devices you can get running android out there  

This article clears things up with this chipset. 

Appreciate you time to write this to me and help understand.