Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MadCat

Alternative OS?

Alternative OS?

Hello

Are there any alternative OS available for the ATV 585? As in can I maby install some other certified flavor of Android on the box or even Windows? With this new Google Certified thing for the Play Store I am ready to bin this TV box without flinching.

On 3/23/2018 at 7:47 AM, MadCat said:

Alternative OS?

Hello

Are there any alternative OS available for the ATV 585? As in can I maby install some other certified flavor of Android on the box or even Windows? With this new Google Certified thing for the Play Store I am ready to bin this TV box without flinching.

There is only Android 4.4 or 5.1 for the 585
I have seen some others successfully put Librelec on the 585, but that is just a linux version of KODI and nothing else.

Windows is not supported on this chipset

And not sure what you mean by Google Certified thing for the Play Store? It works fine on the 585

16 hours ago, Justin said:

There is only Android 4.4 or 5.1 for the 585
I have seen some others successfully put Librelec on the 585, but that is just a linux version of KODI and nothing else.

Windows is not supported on this chipset

And not sure what you mean by Google Certified thing for the Play Store? It works fine on the 585

You answered me in a previous thread that these devices won't get Google Certified, meaning my DSTV Now no longer will work unless I load a old APK until that stops working as well. The alternative is to switch the OS on the box for something that can "Currently looking into the new Windows for ARM to see if that would work", or to toss the device in the bin and call it a day.

10 hours ago, MadCat said:

You answered me in a previous thread that these devices won't get Google Certified, meaning my DSTV Now no longer will work unless I load a old APK until that stops working as well. The alternative is to switch the OS on the box for something that can "Currently looking into the new Windows for ARM to see if that would work", or to toss the device in the bin and call it a day.

I do not think that this chipset will be powerful enough to even run Windows.
I have read up before on Windows for ARM, and the plan was to port it onto Snap Dragon Chipsets, which are about 10x the cost of the current one inside your box.
Your box is using an Amlogic chipset.

Am sorry that you're having issues with DSTV app, but we cannot control what DSTV does.
We also never advertised any of the boxes to be Google Certified
I have mentioned in other threads, that using Android and being Google Certified are 2 different things.