Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brightbell

ATV 1200 video player

ATV 1200 video player

Most apps for TV have stopped working. 

I got the device out a couple of weeks ago and the only one that worked was TV catchup in the Android browser but not in Chrome. Tv catchup won't work in its own app either. Today I discovered that it would no longer work in any browser.

At one time I had BBC iPlayer that's stopped working, I'm in the UK at present so its not the IP.

I downloaded the app for TVmucho today, it works fine in Chrome on my windows 7 PC and in the app on my Android phone but although the app shows the program guide and you can log in to it etc it will not play the TV programs, a black screen with silence all channels.

The version is android 4.1.2

Build no v 1.03.04MX01_20131102

I'd like to have TVtap, TVcatchup and TVmucho all working 

Installed TVmucho today.

IPlayer and ITV player would be nice.

What needs to be done to get these up and running, I'm not fussed about HD or 4k just a normal picture like we used to have would be good.

Hi Brightbell,

As I am sure you know,  this device is very old. If you are able to update to the latest version of chrome in the play store, then you should be able to access any sites that work on a newer system. If they still arent working, this is likely related to the company either using flash video, or releasing an app to cover android. You can try checking the play store for the app by those companies.

A lot of the apps out now, require a higher operating system like android 5 or higher. This will prevent you from using them on that system.

OK I'll install the TVtap app which has recently come out and check the chrome version has updated.
I must say I find it dissapointing that streaming companies and broadcasters withdraw support from legacy systems after a few years.
The box was well constructed and is still in good condition as it was mainly used for holidays.
youtube still works without problems.
At a time when concern about plastic waste and the environment is ever increasing we should look for ways to recycle old products. I'm retired now and was a microsoft systems engineer. I only have limited experience of Linux and my understanding of Android is even less, if an app doesn't work it seems difficult to remedy. Version upgrades seem very limited.

This issue came to light on BBC watchdog a few weeks ago when people were complaining that the apps on Smart TVs they had bought only a few years ago no longer worked and support was withrawn. 

Thanks for your reply and I'll leave you with this video to ponder on, I think I have to accept that the device is not broken but I cant fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO-EuhVzONM  

I completely agree with you about legacy support. We are stuck in a time where technology is rapidly changing and creating laws that restrict the speed of development I think would be a double edged sword right now. 

One day we will see things this way. We will likely pay more for our products, but they will have a longer warranty and a much greater lifespan.

On 6/12/2018 at 3:42 PM, brightbell said:

OK I'll install the TVtap app which has recently come out and check the chrome version has updated.
I must say I find it dissapointing that streaming companies and broadcasters withdraw support from legacy systems after a few years.
The box was well constructed and is still in good condition as it was mainly used for holidays.
youtube still works without problems.
At a time when concern about plastic waste and the environment is ever increasing we should look for ways to recycle old products. I'm retired now and was a microsoft systems engineer. I only have limited experience of Linux and my understanding of Android is even less, if an app doesn't work it seems difficult to remedy. Version upgrades seem very limited.

This issue came to light on BBC watchdog a few weeks ago when people were complaining that the apps on Smart TVs they had bought only a few years ago no longer worked and support was withrawn. 

Thanks for your reply and I'll leave you with this video to ponder on, I think I have to accept that the device is not broken but I cant fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO-EuhVzONM

That organization is based on volunteers. Remember that Android boxes change very quickly and ATV1200 is Grandpa when it comes to Android boxes.  Alot of things needs newer security. faster processors can handle while ATV1200 will lack.  Also, Apps also needs a faster heartbeat to work.  and ATV1200 Heartbeat is now very slow. 

it's like Arnold from 80s with Conan The Barbian and now. I am sure Arnold cannot even pick up that Sword anymore.