Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MadCat

Running Linux On MyGica

Running Linux On MyGica

Dear MyGica Staff / MyGica Community

I would like to discuss running Linux on older MyGica boxes. As it stands I have a ATV 585 currently sitting in its box doing nothing as its current software can't do what it needs too anymore. In my case, I understand I cannot get the latest Android OS, however that doesn't mean a flavour of Linux is out of the question. As such, I would like to open this thread to everyone in order to explore how we can "modify" these boxes in order to install something else other then Android so that we can make use of them again. OpenElec with Kodi is an alternative so it is possible, however that is too limited and needs to be further explored to offer more. Look forward to hearing from you all.

So, where do we start everyone? Any advice moving forward?

hopefully someone who can build this type of firmware reads this however, due to its age, I would suspect that there is not a lot of interest in what you’re trying to do.  The box is still limited by the 1gb of ram and not just the OS. This will still cause the system to run fairly slow even with removing android. 

According to one video, you instal Busybox, VNC viewer for Android, and use Linuxinstaler, all free play store apps. I got as far as putting in the ad card but my wi th then failed not connecting not starting, hopefully I can post back here when and if successful.