Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bhaijan

XBMC Upgade

Ok Justin, another question or three for you...

Is there any particular reason you have to uninstall and then re-install from fresh? I thought there was an upgrade option, but maybe not (you would know better than me).

Does having Android 4.1 or 4.2 affect upgrading to either Gotham 13.1 or 13.2?

If I completely futz up the install from xbmc 12.2 to 13.2, can I easily re-load 12.2 back? I read somewhere that the shortcut no longer worked for somebody here after upgrading, but that might have been user error.

PS This is the best media box I've ever had. I've run WD, patriot Box Office Core, ATV3 among others but this one (except for some slowness after running low on internal memory that I rectified by resetting and not trying to import all my fan art from my media library) is a keeper.

JW

Ok Justin, another question or three for you...

Is there any particular reason you have to uninstall and then re-install from fresh? I thought there was an upgrade option, but maybe not (you would know better than me).

Does having Android 4.1 or 4.2 affect upgrading to either Gotham 13.1 or 13.2?

If I completely futz up the install from xbmc 12.2 to 13.2, can I easily re-load 12.2 back? I read somewhere that the shortcut no longer worked for somebody here after upgrading, but that might have been user error.

PS This is the best media box I've ever had. I've run WD, patriot Box Office Core, ATV3 among others but this one (except for some slowness after running low on internal memory that I rectified by resetting and not trying to import all my fan art from my media library) is a keeper.

JW

You have to uninstall it and re install it from fresh because you are changing versions, and there are significant changes in the versions, so can't just do a normal upgrade. I have been encountering this with XBMC for awhile now.

Doing a factory reset will re install 12.2 back.

Thanks for the compliments, glad to hear your enjoying your box.

The response from Justin for upgrade ('upgade' in the header) shows steps #6, #2, #3 with no verbiage . I'm confused about the steps. Justin, are you able to repost?

Thanks

For those who are a little unsure about the steps involved, here's a step by step from a fellow owner.

First of all, pretty well anything that you do regarding uninstalling can be undone with a reset. This can be proven by a) uninstalling an app that you really don't care about (VST for example) then b) doing a factory reset. All apps will be re-installed.

To uninstall an app...

1. On Android screen, go to Settings (right side).

2. Go to Apps, then highlight and press an app on the right that you want to modify.

3. Another window will appear on the right. Move around until "Uninstall" is hi-lit.

4. uninstall app.

Read the link below.

The sequence is...

6. Uninstall

2. Download.

3. Install

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_XBMC_for_Android

1.To download 13.2, go to xbmc.org (which is now kodi.tv) using your Android browser.

2. Go to "Downloads"

3. Halfway down the page go to "Older Releases" since Kodi 14.0 is now stable but I still want Gotham 13.2.

4.Older Releases/Android/arm/old/XBMC 13.2 Gotham armabi-v7a.apk.

5. Download (this is step 2 from Wiki)

6. Escape out to Android screen.

7. Run AppInstaller

8. Local Disk

9. Install (step 3 from Wiki).