Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deadeye

ATV495Max Android?

ATV495Max Android?

I bought this box to replace my tried old ATV380, but I can see that this one is not the same at all. I am running Bell Fibe, Crave, Sirius Radio, Firefox etc on the old 380.

If I want to replace the old ATV380 and run the apps that I am used to, can I do it with the ATV495Max? Or do I need to take it back?

10 hours ago, Deadeye said:

ATV495Max Android?

I bought this box to replace my tried old ATV380, but I can see that this one is not the same at all. I am running Bell Fibe, Crave, Sirius Radio, Firefox etc on the old 380.

If I want to replace the old ATV380 and run the apps that I am used to, can I do it with the ATV495Max? Or do I need to take it back?

The ATV495Max features an official Android version designed for TVs, which means, apps are designed to work using a remote control for big screens without touchscreen panels, the apps you find on the Play Store are designed to be used with a remote, however, you can "sideload" unsupported apps like the ones you mention, and connect a mouse to be able to use them until developers create a version designed for the device.

I have been using the ATV380 as a workhorse at a summer cottage. I use it for all things internet including surfing and hotspot and have been very happy with it. But now the Andriod version is too old. Can I upgrade or perhaps downgrade this one to be more like the 380 or maybe like a 495PRO so I know how to use it?

Maybe once I figure out what sideloading is I will be happy with it.

Ok, I get it. I got duped. This thing is not Android 7.1 like I thought, it is Android "TV" 7.1...or whatever.

I am not a newbie as suggested on your site, this is my 3rd MyGica device and maybe my last. Hopefully I can take it back. If not its a $135 learning experience. I am still open to any ideas on how to make it into a "normal" Android box. But I have to take it back soon or never.

Hi there,

im sorry you feel “duped”. This device is running a well known version of Android Tv. You can download es file explorer from the play store and use that for sideloading apps like chrome or whatever you need, just like your old box. 

The remote and operating system certainly are a bit different, and not really designed for air mouse, but you can use one just the same, or a mouse and keyboard like the 380. 

Hopefully this helps. Feel free to ask more questions of how to make more use out of this new and official version of Android Tv. 

I used the above link to get Night Owl (surveillance), Firefox and Cravetv. I got access denied on Crave, Got the other two APKs.

Night Owl installed but comes up sideways and only shows blank screens. I have had this problem before on a Phone, the next release of Nightowl fixed it in that case. But for now it is not functional.

Firefox installed and works OK.

Neither one are available from the main menu, I have been starting from within ES file explorer or voice command.

Also the Chromecast seems unstable. I can connect but only using the code and I must do this every. I'm not sure if that's normal, I have only used Miracast is the past.

On 4/19/2019 at 12:20 PM, Deadeye said:

The root of this problem is this (cut and pasted from the CC website):

"MyGica ATV495Max Android 7.1 OS TV Box"

Not correct.

What's not correct about what your c/p from CC website?

The title means Android 7.1 OS not Android TV OS. Please refer to the previous postings on December 20, 2018 and the one by Sonia on December 19.

Sorry if I'm grumpy.

17 hours ago, Deadeye said:

The title means Android 7.1 OS not Android TV OS. Please refer to the previous postings on December 20, 2018 and the one by Sonia on December 19.

Sorry if I'm grumpy.

Its just a miss print on their part
The 495 MAX uses Android TV OS

I'll get them to try and change it.

8 hours ago, Justin said:

Its just a miss print on their part
The 495 MAX uses Android TV OS

I'll get them to try and change it.

I got it to sideload Cravetv. It displays sideways on my T.V. how can I fix it?

13 hours ago, Deadeye said:

I got it to sideload Cravetv. It displays sideways on my T.V. how can I fix it?

It's displaying sideways because it sounds like the app you side loaded was for a Phone/Tablet.

Cravetv claims to have an Android TV app coming soon, but no set date.

Have you tried casting Crave TV from your phone or tablet to the 495 MAX??

16 hours ago, Deadeye said:

It was a bit of a long road but now that I have it working for my specific needs I like it. It is a powerful little guy.

Good to hear

Thanks for sharing

May I know what did you end up using for the Crave TV App?

I originally sideloaded Crave, it automatically upgraded to the new Android TV version shows up on the main screen and works fine. I also found apps to get the Hotspot working and one to fix the orientation.  I am using an air mouse/keyboard for the sideloaded apps. SiriusXM works too.

So everything I want is now working. I can relax and enjoy.

On 6/1/2019 at 11:21 AM, Deadeye said:

I originally sideloaded Crave, it automatically upgraded to the new Android TV version shows up on the main screen and works fine. I also found apps to get the Hotspot working and one to fix the orientation.  I am using an air mouse/keyboard for the sideloaded apps. SiriusXM works too.

So everything I want is now working. I can relax and enjoy.

Great to hear

I downloaded the Crave app last week for Android TV after reading it is available now.

Also Amazon Prime Video app should be out soon for Android TV as well.

On 6/4/2019 at 7:26 PM, Justin said:

Great to hear

I downloaded the Crave app last week for Android TV after reading it is available now.

Also Amazon Prime Video app should be out soon for Android TV as well.

Hi guys, sorry to bring up an old trend, but I'm struggling to install apps like Google, etc. Stuff I have on my android phone, does anyone have a guide/steps on how to get this done please? I have a ATV495max