Jump to content
delacosta78

Android 9 Pie for ATV495Max is for real?

Recommended Posts

Android 9 Pie for ATV495Max is for real?

I discovered at the Geniatech online store what appears to be the Android TV 9 Pie firmware update for the ATV495Max so I wonder if anyone has received the OTA update or were unknown about this?, I haven't seen any announcements here so I wanted to share the info.

Here's the link:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw on the amazon product listing it was due this year. I don't know if this is it though. Can anyone confirm ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are the instructions to update to Android 9 Pie:

1- Download the new firmware from the above link

2- Put the file in the root of any pendrive and connect it to your box

3- From the home screen open the "Update & Backup" app

4- Using your remote control move to the "select" button and press OK

5- Select the file you previously downloaded by pressing OK

6- Press the button "update" located on the left of the "select" button by pressing OK

7- Press again "update" on the little screen that appears

8-  The update process should begin and it will take several minutes to complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gareth De Kock said:

anyone done this? im too scared to brick my box...

Yes, someone already installed the update:

 

Please share your experience after the update, also some screenshots if you can.

Edited by delacosta78

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ReddyK said:

How would one go about getting Netflix to work after the update has been done?

Netflix is not certified on this device so you won't be able to use it the official way, however, there are workarounds:

1) You can install a Beta ROM provided in this forum to enable Netflix but it is an unofficial ROM so it could break at some point, besides, it's base under the same Android 7.1 that came originally in the Box so if you later decide to install 9 Pie you will lose Netflix again:

 

2) You can sideload the mobile version of Netflix by downloading the APK from websites like APK mirror, or installing the Aptoide Store in your device, but you won't get HD and you must use a mouse.

3) There is an unofficial add-on of Netflix for Kodi where you can use the service, it must be installed under Leia:

https://www.ivacy.com/blog/how-to-install-kodi-netflix-addon/

4) Wait until Netflix finally certify this device by a program they implemented called "Hailstorm":

https://medium.com/@NetflixTechBlog/hailstorm-the-netflix-scaling-solution-over-android-tv-fd169366f828

Edited by delacosta78

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, delacosta78 said:

Netflix is not certified on this device so you won't be able to use it the official way, however, there are workarounds:

1) You can install a Beta ROM provided in this forum to enable Netflix but it is an unofficial ROM so it could break at some point, besides, it's base under the same Android 7.1 that came originally in the Box so if you later decide to install 9 Pie you will lose Netflix again:

 

2) You can sideload the mobile version of Netflix by downloading the APK from websites like APK mirror, or installing the Aptoide Store in your device, but you won't get HD and you must use a mouse.

3) There is an unofficial add-on of Netflix for Kodi where you can use the service, it must be installed under Leia:

https://www.ivacy.com/blog/how-to-install-kodi-netflix-addon/

4) Wait until Netflix finally certify this device by a program they implemented called "Hailstorm":

https://medium.com/@NetflixTechBlog/hailstorm-the-netflix-scaling-solution-over-android-tv-fd169366f828

Thanks @delacosta78

It's much appreciated.

I've installed the Beta version workarounda few months ago. It looks like the version needs an update as it's losing connection to the Netflix 2 server. Will try a reinstall. The Beta version I have appears to be using a 2015 version of Netflix. Netflix says there's missing data points that's causing the problem. 

I'll try the Kodi add-on as well.

If I come across anything of use I'll post it here.

Thanks again for the assist.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ReddyK said:

Thanks @delacosta78

It's much appreciated.

I've installed the Beta version workarounda few months ago. It looks like the version needs an update as it's losing connection to the Netflix 2 server. Will try a reinstall. The Beta version I have appears to be using a 2015 version of Netflix. Netflix says there's missing data points that's causing the problem. 

I'll try the Kodi add-on as well.

If I come across anything of use I'll post it here.

Thanks again for the assist.

You're welcome!

Just out of curiosity, are you going to install Pie? if you do, please share some screenshots, thanks!.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you know what I can't understand.. Why no one working for mygica on this forum has commented on the upgrade?

Is it official? Can you go back to 7.12 after trying it?

I just bought the box and I don't want to void the warranty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, joels said:

Do you know what I can't understand.. Why no one working for mygica on this forum has commented on the upgrade?

I ask myself the same question...

5 hours ago, joels said:

Is it official? Can you go back to 7.12 after trying it?

I don't think you can, but why would you want to go back to an older version when the new one works better?, I used Oreo and it was OK, so Pie should be better.

5 hours ago, joels said:

I just bought the box and I don't want to void the warranty.

I don't think you'll void the warranty since you are installing something official directly from the manufacturer's website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked Geniatech directly if the upgrade would work (via their website)

I got this back :)

------

Yes, the device delivery after May will be in Android 9.0.

Best regards

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, joels said:

I asked Geniatech directly if the upgrade would work (via their website)

I got this back :)

------

Yes, the device delivery after May will be in Android 9.0.

Best regards

 

Ok, go ahead... please!, share some screenshots of the home screen and settings!.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JakeTheSnake said:

Some screenshots...

1298179244_SearchandSettings.thumb.png.58b1c9bc44b2f284e5137f5151f3e09e.png

1797790483_GroupIcon.thumb.png.85cfb3245441e2a0274ad3509b40f5cc.png

740202854_GroupMenu.thumb.png.27868380b68a42653a4017214d46c6c6.png

356132992_AppIcon-Longclick.thumb.png.e78d6f0d64411cd5f5d56ead9ae82ad1.png

601272200_AppsList.thumb.png.523880c2360c5e83b126282ede09247c.png

Thank you for the screenshots!, could you please share a screenshot of the settings -> audio section?, thanks again in advance!.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I copied the image file to the root of my usb.

Put the usb stick in my player

After it loaded I Went into the update screen

Selected the image file on the usb

Press update.

the player restarted into update mode

A progress bar showed.

At about 50 % through the installation process the player's screen went blank and that's where it stayed. The light on the box went red.

I left it for a long time and nothing happened.

After about 30 minutes I restarted it.

The blue power light comes on and then goes red and the screen stays black

I'm amazed there's no way to go into a recovery mode Even the cheap players have one

Edited by joels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, joels said:

I copied the image file to the root of my usb.

Put the usb stick in my player

After it loaded I Went into the update screen

Selected the image file on the usb

Press update.

the player restarted into update mode

A progress bar showed.

At about 50 % through the installation process the player's screen went blank and that's where it stayed. The light on the box is red.

I left it for a long time and nothing happened.

After about 30 minutes I restarted it.

The blue power light comes on and then goes red and the screen stays black

 

The device has a reset button at the bottom, try to follow the instructions in this video and then select the option "Apply update from EXT", make sure you keep the pendrive connected while you're doing this:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joels said:

Thanks.

I'll get a cable tomorrow..

Wait!, for some reason the original firmware is not getting read by the USB burning tool software, I'm getting the same error message I got when I try to load the 9 pie , could you please try for yourself?, I don't understand why since the firmware is for Amlogic devices like the 495Max.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting the same issue. I've sent email to Geniatech asking for help.   By some miracle my local supplier has a huge special on the max today. I had problems with mine from day 1. Chromecast built-in didn't work and I kept getting an error saying Google play games had crashed on initial setup when it was time to pair the remote. Unfortunately I bought it from someone online and not from a store so I had no warranty.  Won't do that again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, joels said:

Getting the same issue. I've sent email to Geniatech asking for help.   By some miracle my local supplier has a huge special on the max today. I had problems with mine from day 1. Chromecast built-in didn't work and I kept getting an error saying Google play games had crashed on initial setup when it was time to pair the remote. Unfortunately I bought it from someone online and not from a store so I had no warranty.  Won't do that again.

I see, I hope Geniatech provide some help, it's suppose to work because I tested the other firmware in the website (the ATV598Max) and it loaded correctly into USB burning tool so I hope they fix that issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...