Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larc_in_WA

Is the Forum still active? Chrome not compatible?

I am a newbie to Droid boxes and its workings. Salesman that sold me the ATV495Max had me believe that it works like a Android on your TV.

How ever trying to install or even finding Chrome is impossible. 

See attached image why. Is there a step by step guide how to overcome this please.

it seems very limited. i for instance can not find any way from going incognito

Puffin browser is not linked to my Google account .

Chrome not compatible with ATV 495 Max.PNG

Incognito.PNG

You can sideload it as well as the chrome browser.

It does work but you need an air mouse or a regular wireless usb mouse to use it.

to sideload you need to switch on allow unknown sources and turn off verify apps in the security settings.

what I did is I used an app called send files to tv on both my box and cellphone.

Install the app total commander on your phone. It has an installed apps tab.

you can copy the apk from your phone using that.

Google Chrome is an app NOT optimized for Android TV at the moment, I heard it's because Google is concern about potential privacy issues, that's why there is not a Google Photos app either.

20 hours ago, joels said:

You can sideload it as well as the chrome browser.

It does work but you need an air mouse or a regular wireless usb mouse to use it.

to sideload you need to switch on allow unknown sources and turn off verify apps in the security settings.

what I did is I used an app called send files to tv on both my box and cellphone.

Install the app total commander on your phone. It has an installed apps tab.

you can copy the apk from your phone using that.

Hi joels thanks for the response. Can you please explain the sideload process and how to, if possible, maybe a link that will explain in laymen s terms what to do. Very new to this. Thanks for the tip on Total commander . 

I would also want to know about updating the ATV495Max . It says I must connect to a computer and back up it there. Do i use a usb cable or the HDMI cable? is there any tips on updating please.

Many thanks.

6 hours ago, Larc_in_WA said:

Hi joels thanks for the response. Can you please explain the sideload process and how to, if possible, maybe a link that will explain in laymen s terms what to do. Very new to this. Thanks for the tip on Total commander . 

I would also want to know about updating the ATV495Max . It says I must connect to a computer and back up it there. Do i use a usb cable or the HDMI cable? is there any tips on updating please.

Many thanks.

These are the instructions to update your device to the lastest Android TV  9 Pie:

1- Download the new firmware from here: https://shop.geniatech.us/download/software-for-geniatech-android-box/

2- Put the file in the root of any pendrive and connect it to your box

3- From the home screen open the "Update & Backup" app

4- Using your remote control move to the "select" button and press OK

5- Select the file you previously downloaded by pressing OK

6- Press the button "update" located on the left of the "select" button by pressing OK

7- Press again "update" on the little screen that appears

8-  The update process should begin and it will take several minutes to complete.

On 5/12/2019 at 12:33 PM, Larc_in_WA said:

I am a newbie to Droid boxes and its workings. Salesman that sold me the ATV495Max had me believe that it works like a Android on your TV.

How ever trying to install or even finding Chrome is impossible. 

See attached image why. Is there a step by step guide how to overcome this please.

it seems very limited. i for instance can not find any way from going incognito

Puffin browser is not linked to my Google account .

Chrome not compatible with ATV 495 Max.PNG

Incognito.PNG

What I've done is to install X-plore on my TV. 
I am using a Google Drive (Now called "Backup and Sync from Google") on my laptop. I can download any apk that I want to try on the TV to a folder in my G-Drive.
Now, If I want to install anything, watch a movie, play MP3s or whatever, I just copy them to a folder on my shared g-drive folder on my laptop, wait for the files to sync to the cloud and then I open the folder on my TV with X-plore and click the file. Easy as that.

Many apps are not compatible with Android TV and they will usually start rotated (although I have previously used an app to rotate my phone screen after I dropped it in the pool and the autorotate stopped working, so I guess that might be one solution), some will only work with a mouse and some won't start at all, like Netflix, which tells me that it is not compatible.
If I want to watch anything on Netflix, I just view it on my phone and cast to the TV. The quality is pretty good.

21 hours ago, delacosta78 said:

These are the instructions to update your device to the lastest Android TV  9 Pie:

1- Download the new firmware from here: https://shop.geniatech.us/download/software-for-geniatech-android-box/

2- Put the file in the root of any pendrive and connect it to your box

3- From the home screen open the "Update & Backup" app

4- Using your remote control move to the "select" button and press OK

5- Select the file you previously downloaded by pressing OK

6- Press the button "update" located on the left of the "select" button by pressing OK

7- Press again "update" on the little screen that appears

8-  The update process should begin and it will take several minutes to complete.

Thanks I will use this advise. Hope fully i will have better on screen quality

Rather don't do it for the time being.

This update bricked mine.

It failed at 50%. The screen went black and never started again.