Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FINNDIAN

Movies won't play

I got this atv1200 at christmas.

I did a little research. Install showbox and added some xbmc addons.

It seems a lot of the tv shows will play but movies won't.

It will say "opening stream" and then a box pops up "playback failed" "ONe or more items failed to play. check the log for details"

Any ideas?

Maybe just a setting wrong?

Thanks

Gord

It will say "opening stream" and then a box pops up "playback failed" "ONe or more items failed to play. check the log for details"

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gord

This means whatever you are trying to watch is no longer being hosted on the server it is trying to access.

Strange. I've loaded the 3 most popular addon channels and 99% of what is on there I can't play.

If this is normal it would take me an hour just to find something that works.

Most XBMC addons are rather touch and go IMHO. I have only gotten frustrated with them as it's usually a mission finding something that looks good enough to watch.

There is a couple of alternatives, Popcornflix, Showbox etc, search for them in the Mygica store.

I'm just saying that as XBMC repositories are sometimes down etc.

Listen to the suggestions from users on here.

We cannot control what is down and up, as we are not the providers of these sites.

yes showbox is good. Other than my streaming won't keep up.

I understand no one here has control over what is up or down. I"m just surprised that 99% of the popular add ons content doesn't work. I figured there was something wrong with my configuration or something

Maybe there is something wrong with your configuration.

Do you have high speed internet?

Are you trying to stream this over the built in wireless adapter rather than using a hard wired Ethernet connection?

Some of these plugins have the option to download the movie/TV show. This allows you to DL at your convenience and with later on.

The hardware is sound. Xbmc works fine. You just have to figure out the plugins.

Ya I have HIgh speed cable.

I'm using it on wifi but will try a cable when I can get a long enough one. I"m sure that will improve streaming.

As far as most of the content coming up with the "playback failed box" I'm at a loss and have spent hours upon hours searching the net and playing with this box.

The movie Big hero 6 was labelled sd and it did play. I think it's the only one so far.

If the message "playback failed" appears this is nothing to do with WiFi or internet connection. This means the server is saturated or the movie doesn't exist on the server. That is why there are plugin options. Don't rely on just one plugin. There are many options to choose from.

I would not rely on a WiFi setup here. Go with ethernet. More consistent. Also consider different DNS choices. Good luck.

I second the comments here, both about

a) some xbmc plugins are not worth the download and;

b) it's not the fault of the box.

Without being TOO specific, since talking about third-party Addons and what they can do is kind of officially frowned upon, what are you using? I've run everything from iS****m to G*****s to S***S. Auto Play has been my friend lately. That way I don't care what the source link is. It just samples until it finds one that meets the parameters that I set in Settings. So has a non-XBMC website called Trakt. It's kind of like a TV equivalent website to IMDB. I figure that if I can find the 30 minute live reunion show of CBS's Survivor Season 29, or Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove, (both are for the wife- not me) then I can consider it a success. Don't forget that you bought a $125 Android-based Smart TV media streamer that can pull music, TV and movies off your NAS or Server (like I do) along with surfing the net and running anything at all off the Google Play Store. XMBC is only one part of it. Not trying to sound like I'm on a soapbox either :-) just that this is my fifth media streamer in three years and by far the best.

J

PS to Justin... I know you have a no third -party talk mandate so if this reply is cutting it close I don't mind if you punt it.

To members who have off-topic questions, I'm not saying I have the time to answer but you can PM me if you want...

I've been using G*****s 1C*****l and P*****x. I was looking at the auto play in the Addon settings earlier. I just activated it and this seems to help a lot in finding a working source, thanks.

I will do some more playing around and see how it works out.

I understand the box being useful for streaming. Seems similar to what my playstation 3 does but it is cool to be able to access Android apps I use on my phone and tablet also. It also makes my non smart tv work like my smart tv does. I'm sure I'll get it all figured out and make it more useful.

Don't forget to "Enable HD Sources in Autoplay".

Another thing is that I still can't say enough about the non-XBMC Addon website called Trakt. You find two, five, twenty TV shows or whatever you want to follow and add the entire +Collection to your library. You have to register and login first of course. Then regardless of what you use to find your favourite shows in XBMC, as long as you've added your account info to the Addons (and the Addon has the capability of following Trakt) you will have a virtual TV guide with all the shows you've watched and missed per week. I used to have to remember if I watched S25E07 or 08 last week and go from there. One of the Addons even has a calendar with your shows with what's on "YDY" "TDA" "TMW" or "Last Week".

@FINNDIAN

Once I finish breakfast you will have a PM.

Thanks for all the info guys and wjw for the informative pm.

I'm getting it figured out. What kind of upload speed is acceptable to watch without pausing? 10?

I've done some speed tests on wifi and Ethernet. They seem to come up about the same so I don't think the wifi is hurting it.

The highest I ever see is about 7 and lowest is around 3.

I may have to contact my provider and see what they can do.

Thanks for all the info guys and wjw for the informative pm.

I'm getting it figured out. What kind of upload speed is acceptable to watch without pausing? 10?

I've done some speed tests on wifi and Ethernet. They seem to come up about the same so I don't think the wifi is hurting it.

The highest I ever see is about 7 and lowest is around 3.

I may have to contact my provider and see what they can do.

Try doing a speedtest on your PC so you have something to compare it as well.

Here in Ottawa with Bell I get, using Ookla, about 2.5 to 5 meg. I usually don't have any issues. Don't forget that it is a two way street. Meaning it's a combination of your downloading speed and the upload speed of wherever you're getting it from. You can check this by downloading to a folder instead of streaming and having "Download in Background" turned off. You will get a realistic idea of the speed because you should get a window pop up with a kb/s number and ETA to completion, depending on your Addon.

PS @ FINNDIAN

No, ice doesn't have an Autoplay feature.

Here in Ottawa with Bell I get, using Ookla, about 2.5 to 5 meg. I usually don't have any issues. Don't forget that it is a two way street. Meaning it's a combination of your downloading speed and the upload speed of wherever you're getting it from. You can check this by downloading to a folder instead of streaming and having "Download in Background" turned off. You will get a realistic idea of the speed because you should get a window pop up with a kb/s number and ETA to completion, depending on your Addon.

PS @ FINNDIAN

No, ice doesn't have an Autoplay feature.

Good suggestion

But you only get a 2.5-5mb with Bell? This is what you are paying for? Sounds very low for a Bell DSL connection.

:D Yup, have an older 2wire modem. I really didn't care too much about d/l speed until I started gaining my play toys. Once a week I have to go downstairs and kill the Modem for a few minutes and then I'm up to 5-7 again.

:D Yup, have an older 2wire modem. I really didn't care too much about d/l speed until I started gaining my play toys. Once a week I have to go downstairs and kill the Modem for a few minutes and then I'm up to 5-7 again.

If you are getting into streaming devices I would suggest uping your download speed.

On 12/29/2014 at 6:11 PM, FINNDIAN said:

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gord

Edited by Justin

Sorry we do not allow users to post about third party apps on our forum

I have locked and closed this thread