Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NvrStop88

how install addons from a usb stick

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of XBMC, now renamed Kodi. Addons are often downloaded and installed using repositories. So you add repositories, then the addon is downloaded through that. Doing it this way means that when a coder/maintainer of an addon updates the addon, your XBMC will auto update too. Here is a great walkthrough on youtube on how to add the great addon 'Genesis' into your XBMC...

This is the recommended way to install addons - through repositories, not manually via your USB.

Browse to the middle of the page here on the wiki and read up on addons in general:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-ons

To see the files on your USB key, you must add it as a 'source' in xbmc. See here:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources

Cheers from snowy Canada

saddie

To add to saddie's post...

(I'm doing this from memory so take with a grain of salt).

System/File Manager/Add Source/Browse

External memory or sda1 is usually it.

Press OK

You should then see your USB stick info as being a source (15.2 Gig as an example). You would then "Install From Zip File" and get Addons.

@saddie

Sometimes it's nice to know how to install from a stick. The only way I could install Music Box is from a TechDealer repo that is downloaded as a zip. Not found in an online repo.

PS true about Genesis, especially with Trakt added...

J

Thank you everyone for all the good advise.

I want to install this particular repo that I have downloaded. I could not find it in the on-line repos.

"WJW" -> i tried what you suggested but it still would not recognize my USB stick, any idea's why?

Nothing under external storage? I'll look tomorrow exactly where my USB is located in my folder structure and report back. Pm me with the repo or particular Addon you are looking for and ill see if I can find a live link. That way you just add source and install from zip to an external site.

J

I found it under...

Storage/External Storage/sda1

System/File Manager

I added source, browsed, found it, pressed OK, then could see my stick.

I just did the same with my sd card now to be able to see it.

Hello I have ATV 380. Do I need to update it every so often or does it update itself. If not how do I update this box?

Thanks

Kodi is set by default to auto update.

In Confluence, go under system/settings/my Addons. Then "left arrow" and you will see options for auto update (on) and notifications.

I assume you're talking about Kodi, since you're posting in that forum.