Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mbramwel

How I recovered (un-bricked) and updated my 520e

Customer Service is absolutely terrible no one will respond to your e-mails(2 week old email & counting) and when you call them they leave you on hold for 2 hrs then it goes over to their message machine. What type of company can expect loyal customers to continue to support their product when no one is willing to resolve the issue. This is the first and last time I will ever own one of your products . You should be ashamed of yourselves.

One unhappy previous customer.....

This sounds like the voicemail we received on Saturday, as it sounds familiar. Correct me if I am wrong.

Sorry about Saturday, but myself and a few other team members were at an event on Saturday, and our phone reps that were working had more then normal amount of calls.

If you left a message then someone would have gotten back with you, if not then just send me an email - support@mygica.ca with your phone number and a time to call and I will have someone call you.

I am more then willing to resolve the issue you are having, but you did not mention exactly what it is? Since it is apart of this discussion, would it be safe to assume you have a bricked 520e?

Let me know, so I can assist you further

Thanks

Any luck mine does the same thing red light is constant and even shorted pins with no affect SD card works because I used it to update another box and it worked great

I find that the pin shorting doesn't work for everyone, its more hit or miss for me.

Is there any advice someone else can give for this?

I have bricked few times and able to bring it back to life, first time was a headache since i didn't know the proper process fixed it

I am curious, has anyone (other than me) tried this and have it bring their unit back to life?

Customer Service is absolutely terrible no one will respond to your e-mails(2 week old email & counting) and when you call them they leave you on hold for 2 hrs then it goes over to their message machine. What type of company can expect loyal customers to continue to support their product when no one is willing to resolve the issue. This is the first and last time I will ever own one of your products . You should be ashamed of yourselves.

This sounds like the voicemail we received on Saturday, as it sounds familiar. Correct me if I am wrong.

Sorry about Saturday, but myself and a few other team members were at an event on Saturday, and our phone reps that were working had more then normal amount of calls.

If you left a message then someone would have gotten back with you, if not then just send me an email - support@mygica.ca with your phone number and a time to call and I will have someone call you.

I am more then willing to resolve the issue you are having, but you did not mention exactly what it is? Since it is apart of this discussion, would it be safe to assume you have a bricked 520e?

Thanks

Hey Justin

I sent an email to you 3 weeks ago "no reply" I left you my number on the voicemail as well as my name interesting that you can remember the v/m but you don't respond?? I'm going to send you another e-mail tonight let's see what kind of BS I go through trying to get help resolving the issue.

I'll be expecting a call actually I'll be holding my breath.....

what other excuses are you going to come up with this is a joke.

Thanks

Hey Justin

I sent an email to you 3 weeks ago "no reply" I left you my number on the voicemail as well as my name interesting that you can remember the v/m but you don't respond?? I'm going to send you another e-mail tonight let's see what kind of BS I go through trying to get help resolving the issue.

I'll be expecting a call actually I'll be holding my breath.....

what other excuses are you going to come up with this is a joke.

I just did a email search using the email you sent me this morning.

And I can only find the email from this morning from you.

And my email database keeps everything from the last 2 years.

I have responded to your email from this morning as well

Hi guys,

I am also having fun with the mygica. An updated Android was released for the unit a few days ago (2015 Feb).

Many people are bricking their units applying the update. Since I have lots of experience in the embedded world, I thought they must have been stupid and skipped a few steps :cry:

As the DOCS clearly state, I extracted the update files to the root of my SD card, inserted the card and pushed the update button on the bottom of the unit. My unit instantly bricked! :evil:

hmm, why did it brick so fast? I mean INSTANTLY ! Nothing on the TV... power off/on did nothing. It is an x-gica! :twisted:

This forum has lots of pissed off people. No *user* recovery possible, please send back to factory !!?? :shock:

Well, I am NOT an user!

Since have played with uboot based firmwares in the past, I decided to take a look at the problem. I noticed the files were missing an uboot driver. I also needed to update a config to make the versions match properly.

I have created a ZIP file with everything needed to unbrick/update your unit to the latest 2015 release. It works well. Takes less than 5 mins, you just sit and wait for it to complete.

WARNING: It wipes and reinstalls the OS on the mygica. All apps & settings will return to factory defaults.

The fixed ZIP file is too big for me to upload here to the forum, I have placed it on my server for you to grab -- Good Luck!

ALL-IN-ONE-UPDATE: hamster.foxhollow.ca/mygica.zip :D

I am new to this website, & have recently bricked my device, I had clicked your name so that I could visit your server, but wasn't given access. I think I may be off, or just stupid, but is there another way to access this zip file?

Hi guys,

I am also having fun with the mygica. An updated Android was released for the unit a few days ago (2015 Feb).

Many people are bricking their units applying the update. Since I have lots of experience in the embedded world, I thought they must have been stupid and skipped a few steps :cry:

As the DOCS clearly state, I extracted the update files to the root of my SD card, inserted the card and pushed the update button on the bottom of the unit. My unit instantly bricked! :evil:

hmm, why did it brick so fast? I mean INSTANTLY ! Nothing on the TV... power off/on did nothing. It is an x-gica! :twisted:

This forum has lots of pissed off people. No *user* recovery possible, please send back to factory !!?? :shock:

Well, I am NOT an user!

Since have played with uboot based firmwares in the past, I decided to take a look at the problem. I noticed the files were missing an uboot driver. I also needed to update a config to make the versions match properly.

I have created a ZIP file with everything needed to unbrick/update your unit to the latest 2015 release. It works well. Takes less than 5 mins, you just sit and wait for it to complete.

WARNING: It wipes and reinstalls the OS on the mygica. All apps & settings will return to factory defaults.

The fixed ZIP file is too big for me to upload here to the forum, I have placed it on my server for you to grab -- Good Luck!

ALL-IN-ONE-UPDATE: hamster.foxhollow.ca/mygica.zip :D

I am new to this website, & have recently bricked my device, I had clicked your name so that I could visit your server, but wasn't given access. I think I may be off, or just stupid, but is there another way to access this zip file?

Sorry but which zip file are you referring to?

I managed to unbrick my 520e which was stuck with a red light after trying the normal 4.1 to 4.2 upgrade procedure.

Some important points :

- Make sure when using SDCardMaker (run as Administrator), you end up with two partitions : the first is 16MB unallocated (this is the boot partition containing uboot_MX.bin - Windows does not recognize it) and the 2nd is the remaining space formatted as FAT32 - this is what Windows 7 presents to me - I used a 32GB microSD - If you don't see these two partitions, try a USB-based SD card reader - This is what I had to do since SDCardMaker did not create the 16MB unallocated partition using my laptop's SD card reader (just one big partition)

- Make sure you put copy over all the files from the Android 4.2.2 upgrade zip (see downloads)

- I had to open the unit to short the middle 2 pins on the U13 chip since it didn't work otherwise. The bottom is just a metal plate with rubber over it - just use your finger nails or a thin plastic ruler to unwedge the bottom plate from the top plastic cover. The plate has a conductive thermal transfer wedge on the inside which touches the processor - leave it alone. You don't have to remove the screws - just locate the U13 chip and try and orient it so the writing on the chip is readable - the 2 middle pins to short are at the bottom. Look at the atv1200 image for reference (it has the same chip to short) : see post viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1631

- You will need a third hand to help out - one to hold the reset button, one to hold a small phillips screwdriver to short the 2 middle pins and one more hand (last step) to plug in the power connector. Once powered, hold until the red light/blue lights alternate - about 3-5 seconds - then release reset button and screwdriver. You will see the greenish Android character on the screen - and then 1 min later the box will reboot - give it a minute - the Android loader will come up later - give it at least 5 minutes to complete the installation.

Hope this helps. :mrgreen:

thanks all, successfully unbricked.

used files suggested in this thread i.e. viewtopic.php?f=94&t=1665 on 32GB card with tonto1's instructions.

had to do the pin shorting and reset.

Key for me was to wait until alternating red / blue LEDs before releasing short and reset button.

Also, as mentioned here too, box got stuck on green Android so had to power off and hold in reset (not shorting pins this time and again until red / blue LEDs alternate before releasing) to get box to update successfully.

:lol:

Hi,

i tried using the link that this user put at the end of his msg and the link does not work. does anyone have the files or know of anyway that i can solve my problem.

Thank you...

"mbramwel wrote:

Hi guys,

Well, I am NOT an user!

ALL-IN-ONE-UPDATE: hamster.foxhollow.ca/mygica.zip :D "

hello i have a 520e i think is brick, it was working fine and now i only see the andoid name on boot up. can you pls send the files ALL-IN-ONE-UPDATE: hamster.foxhollow.ca/mygica.zip? LINK does not work \\thanks in advance

hello i have a 520e i think is brick, it was working fine and now i only see the andoid name on boot up. can you pls send the files ALL-IN-ONE-UPDATE: hamster.foxhollow.ca/mygica.zip? LINK does not work \\thanks in advance

Download the KR34 Files

From the link below

This should fix the issue you are having

I have been uploading all my zip files of factory restore cards onto my onedrive. I keep them updated for the most part and I will keep putting them up until they are all there.

http://1drv.ms/1JKmuNb

If you have any problem downloading them, or you need different files, let me know.

duel core video;

of course with models atv 400 and atv520e have their reset buttons on the bottom.

I believe i have bricked my 520E. Was upgrading from 4.1.2 to the latest 4.2.2, followed the instructions by holding down upgrade button etc. (used a usb, would this matter?) but had to manually find the img file in the root area. I found it, applied the upgrade, which said it was successful, then i rebooted... Didn't reboot. Will not turn on, I'm wondering if I've created a rather light paperweight or is there something else i can do. I have tried shorting the 2nd and 3rd pins. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I believe i have bricked my 520E. Was upgrading from 4.1.2 to the latest 4.2.2, followed the instructions by holding down upgrade button etc. (used a usb, would this matter?) but had to manually find the img file in the root area. I found it, applied the upgrade, which said it was successful, then i rebooted... Didn't reboot. Will not turn on, I'm wondering if I've created a rather light paperweight or is there something else i can do. I have tried shorting the 2nd and 3rd pins. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Thanks

You are supposed to use an SD Card not a USB drive.

If you installed the IMG file manually using your USB, then this will for sure brick your 520e.

You can try the files I posted above your post with an sd card to see if that helps

Thanks

If you installed the IMG file manually using your USB, then this will for sure brick your 520e.

You can try the files I posted above your post with an sd card to see if that helps

Hey Justin,

Doesn't seem to do anything even with the Micro SD card. Any other suggestions or should I be looking for another box?

Thanks,

Thanks

Hey Justin,

Doesn't seem to do anything even with the Micro SD card. Any other suggestions or should I be looking for another box?

Thanks,

The shorting of pins suggest using the sd card along with it

Did you try using the SD card when you did the pin method?

I did, although I'm not sure if I am doing it correctly. I put in the SD card, hold a small screwdriver between the 2 posts then plug in the power. How long should i wait?

I did, although I'm not sure if I am doing it correctly. I put in the SD card, hold a small screwdriver between the 2 posts then plug in the power. How long should i wait?

If it works then you should see lights flashing on the front after about 15 seconds

If not then it is not working.

If it works then you should see lights flashing on the front after about 15 seconds

Good news, my 520e upgraded to 4.2.2. Thanks.

Next question, or could you direct me to the appropriate forum. I have xbmc 12.2, Frodo, now on the system. I was wondering if the 520e will support v16.2. If so, can i jump from 12 to 16, or do i need to install one of the "middle" upgrades. If the 520e can't support Jarvis, what is the newest Kodi version i can run? Thanks again for all the help.

Good news, my 520e upgraded to 4.2.2. Thanks.

Next question, or could you direct me to the appropriate forum. I have xbmc 12.2, Frodo, now on the system. I was wondering if the 520e will support v16.2. If so, can i jump from 12 to 16, or do i need to install one of the "middle" upgrades. If the 520e can't support Jarvis, what is the newest Kodi version i can run? Thanks again for all the help.

Is the main icon on your Android Main menu for XBMC or KODI?

If it is XBMC, then upgrade to this firmware

viewtopic.php?f=93&t=2521

Once installed, uninstall KODI 14.1 then you can install KODI 16.XX