Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mbramwel

How I recovered (un-bricked) and updated my 520e

Hi guys,

I am also having fun with the mygica. An updated Android was released for the unit a few days ago (2015 Feb).

Many people are bricking their units applying the update. Since I have lots of experience in the embedded world, I thought they must have been stupid and skipped a few steps :cry:

As the DOCS clearly state, I extracted the update files to the root of my SD card, inserted the card and pushed the update button on the bottom of the unit. My unit instantly bricked! :evil:

hmm, why did it brick so fast? I mean INSTANTLY ! Nothing on the TV... power off/on did nothing. It is an x-gica! :twisted:

This forum has lots of pissed off people. No *user* recovery possible, please send back to factory !!?? :shock:

Well, I am NOT an user!

Since have played with uboot based firmwares in the past, I decided to take a look at the problem. I noticed the files were missing an uboot driver. I also needed to update a config to make the versions match properly.

I have created a ZIP file with everything needed to unbrick/update your unit to the latest 2015 release. It works well. Takes less than 5 mins, you just sit and wait for it to complete.

WARNING: It wipes and reinstalls the OS on the mygica. All apps & settings will return to factory defaults.

The fixed ZIP file is too big for me to upload here to the forum, I have placed it on my server for you to grab -- Good Luck!

ALL-IN-ONE-UPDATE: hamster.foxhollow.ca/mygica.zip :D

The instructions are in the ZIP file.

However, here is a summary:

format micro sd card to FAT32

copy all of the zip contents to the root of the sd card

power off mygica

insert sd card into mygica

turn mygica upside down

using a ballpoint pen, push the recovery button hole and hold the pen in the hole

while holding the pen in the hole, plug in the power plug.

after 5 seconds, you should the lights start to blink on your mygica

remove the pen and do not touch anything!

You will see nothing on the TV for about 2 minutes. DO NOT TOUCH THE MYGICA

eventually the unit will reboot and you will see the factory setup screen appear asking you to click on [NEXT]

Enjoy!

I hope it works for you!

Hey

Thanks for the instructions

But I still can't get it to work

While I'm pushing the update/recovery button and plug the unit in Red Lights come on right away! And never blink.

Any ideas why?

Thanks

When you push the pen through the little hole, can you feel the button inside the box click? If you do it slowly and listen carefully, you can feel & hear it click. You need to push/click and hold the button while powering on the box. You need 3 hands! What I did is, I put the power plug in half way, not enough to actually power on the unit. Then while pushing down on that button, I pushed the power plug the rest of the way in so it started to power on.

I ask this because it took a few tries until I figured out how to do it with only 2 hands.

This worked for me on the atv520. i needed to short pins 2 and 3 on u13 hold reset and plug in power. keep trying the led's will start to flash. took me a couple of hours.

I have tried your instuctions, but my unit does not flash the lights, it stays on red only.

I can feel the pin click, but not much happens after that. Please help??

I tried to follow along with all the instructions but I think I might have messed up my box, it will not boot to the upgrading screen instead it just flashes "xbmc 13.0 GOTHAM" I might of really messed this up

any help would be welcome

@mbramwel

You never said in your posts or instructions if your ALL-IN-ONE could be used on the system which has last working android version 4.1.x. I think it would be helpful to point that out. When people brick their devices, does it matter if last working version was 4.1 or 4.2?

My 520E turned into a brick with solid eternal red light while in the process of upgrading from 4.1 to 4.2. Not with the newest firmware, just the update to 4.2. I was going to upgrade to the latest eventually, but I didn't get a chance. The progress bar was about 80% in when unit turned off. I thought it's going to reboot, but nothing happened for probably next hour or so, so I unplugged it and tried to repeat the process. There is no way to get the brick to wake up anymore. The only thing I haven't tried is to bridge pins 2 and 3 (as pointed by cujoe31) because I don't know which ones are those. The only picture I was able to find is for ATV1200 board, not the 520E.

My box is more than 1 year old, so I won't have it covered by Mygica warranty, and I'm willing to try a thing or two. So...

@cujoe31

What pins did you bridge? Can you draw a quick picture, or take a photo and point an arrow to that spot?

Is bridging these two pins the same as activating the reset from the bottom or are both of these actions required? Do we still need to hold the reset for 10 seconds when power gets connected? Is bridging also required for the same amount of time or should it be done initially and then let go, keeping the reset for 10 seconds?

Thanks in advance :)

I managed to revive my box, following instructions kevin1162 posted above. Very clear and useful instructions, kevin1162. Thank you!

The main thing was to bridge pins 2 and 3 and not to let go until the LED starts flashing, then to release both reset button and the screwdriver bridging these pins. The box finished installing all files and I'm now using the latest firmware and currently setting up my Kodi.

Thank you again :)

I managed to revive my box, following instructions kevin1162 posted above. Very clear and useful instructions, kevin1162. Thank you!

The main thing was to bridge pins 2 and 3 and not to let go until the LED starts flashing, then to release both reset button and the screwdriver bridging these pins. The box finished installing all files and I'm now using the latest firmware and currently setting up my Kodi.

Thank you again :)

Good to hear

Can the mygica.zip file provided in the initial post be used on an ATV520E which is functioning properly on 4.1.2 to complete the upgrade?

*EDIT* This file worked great and successfully completed the upgrade from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2. Thank you very much to the OP!!!

Thanks,

Lu.

Wow!

I've been trying to unbrick this thing for close to three hours now

I have tried both the Mygica guys & OP's files with absolutely no results

Formated to a clean SD card each time with FAT32

Constant middle orange lights on box but will not flash

Have unplugged and plugged back in holding reset (yes I feel when it is depressed) while also bridging pIns two and three which are the middle two pins, closest to the outside from 10 seconds all the way up to eight minutes!

Have tried unplugging and plugging back in with just reset, have tried just bridge ...... always constant orange middle light every time, will not flash

TV has absolutely no signal, completely black

Any other suggestions?

I would suggest to re-download the file, reload on mini sd card and try again it could be that you have corrupt files

Customer Service is absolutely terrible no one will respond to your e-mails(2 week old email & counting) and when you call them they leave you on hold for 2 hrs then it goes over to their message machine. What type of company can expect loyal customers to continue to support their product when no one is willing to resolve the issue. This is the first and last time I will ever own one of your products . You should be ashamed of yourselves.

One unhappy previous customer.....

Any luck mine does the same thing red light is constant and even shorted pins with no affect SD card works because I used it to update another box and it worked great