Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

van141

How to customize Android home page

I am slowly getting hang of ATV1200 but few things elude me completely - like at the very top row on homepage are five tiles, below on the strip are six tiles (last on right is Setting) and below that are 'apps' on three screens that scroll horizontally.

1) How do you rearrange apps, move them between the three pages? If I could at least rename them and use different first letter to move them around (as they auto arrange by alphabet).

2) How about the main strip with six tiles. Can a tile be added or removed and an 'app tile' be placed there in place of the removed tile? I assume that strip is non-scrollable).

3) The top row (Skype, YTube, Netflix, Facebook, Calendar), I suspect that is set in stone, but anyway, can that be in any way changed?

One reason I suspect some customization can be maybe done is that XBMC tile on that main strip is actually a tile of the XBMC app that is also at the bottom on third page of the apps.

This is my first Android device, don't have it on phone or elsewhere, and all suggestions how to do such changes apply to phones but that is different Android, advices I find on net as to customization don't apply to the Android on this box. I guess this is not Android Android but GicaAndroid?

After some reading up, I see that the main strip of tiles is a 'no go' territory. But can't we at least have app rearranging among 'pages' or do they have to go by alphabetical naming?

I recall in past some queries about booting the box directly to xbmc (or to app of choice, given we can run more than one 'xbmc', like tvmc and possibly others), is that possible and could someone point me to 'how to'?

The main MyGica launcher that is on the ATV 1200 is custom built, so a lot of the menus and app icons are built into the launcher and cannot be changed

If you want to fully customize your menus etc then try using a different launcher

A lot of users on here like this one

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ome&hl=eny

Can just get it for free out of the google play store.

Thanks, I will look at the launchers - Metro style is not really my cup of coffee but surely there are other ones. Can't launchers like skins make things malfunction - as proper beginner I may have hard time to determine if something is broken or is supposed to be that way.

I would like to see the feature of autostarting one app of choice when Android is booted (most would pick xbmc/kodi, shouldn't be too difficult to do for developers?

BTW I logged into google play store on one of my atv1200 box and wanted to pass the box to somebody else but for the life of me I can't sign out of that store. Even flashing firmware, like from 4.1 to 4.2.2 keeps me logged in - google is one way street, once they have you, they never let go. I did everything I could think of, deleting all app data, clearing cache and what not and no way I can bring the box to pristine state. Is that a lost cause or am I not looking hard enough for logging, signing out?

Thanks, I will look at the launchers - Metro style is not really my cup of coffee but surely there are other ones. Can't launchers like skins make things malfunction - as proper beginner I may have hard time to determine if something is broken or is supposed to be that way.

I would like to see the feature of autostarting one app of choice when Android is booted (most would pick xbmc/kodi, shouldn't be too difficult to do for developers?

BTW I logged into google play store on one of my atv1200 box and wanted to pass the box to somebody else but for the life of me I can't sign out of that store. Even flashing firmware, like from 4.1 to 4.2.2 keeps me logged in - google is one way street, once they have you, they never let go. I did everything I could think of, deleting all app data, clearing cache and what not and no way I can bring the box to pristine state. Is that a lost cause or am I not looking hard enough for logging, signing out?

Try this auto start app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tart&hl=en

Should be what your looking for

As for logging out, try looking for he app, Goolge Play or Google + services on your box. Should be an option to log out from there

Thank you, you are most helpful. Its encouraging to see the development of this box. I will try that autostart app, the idea to make this box like apple tv. The people I am setting up box for need to have it as simple as possible, anyway they wouldn't be interested in other android apps besides kodi.

Its been a while since I tried to log out from google play store but I am fairly sure there was no such option (I know one can be blind to obvious things at times). Perhaps in google+ but I am skeptic (not sure now I do have that on the box even). I just avoid signing in by getting apps on pc and transferring them to boxes via usb key.

That 1080p beta firmware, is that just for 'p' or also 'i'? I suppose it will be working on 720p tvs when it gets out of beta, right?

I challenge everybody to logout out of google play store!

After updating the box with the latest February update '4.2 with Kodi14.1', I was logged out of the google play store but once I signed in, I am in forever it seems (unless I reset or apply the update again). Like I said, you give them finger, they grab you and have you. I think there is some relationship undercovers with google and android or mygica co.

Another query - is it possible to 'quit' apps? Or are they stopped simply by pressing Home button on remote? It looks like all apps continue to run until the box is powered down and restarted.

Is it possible to backup the box and once other boxes have firmware update done, the update could be restored and they would be clones of the original box? I tried 'App backup and restore' but have no idea where the backups went. I think they are on the mygica box and would be lost in future update. Also one can't restore the backup to another box.

I remember seeing some way of backing up to google cloud, perhaps that was an app on 14.2.2 last years update? I don't see it around now.

Also tried to backup from within Kodi (XML backup addon) but that conks out, something wrong with the script or something. I have configured backup location in the addon configuration but still the same problem.

How to go about backing up, either Kodi, or Gica box generally?

I challenge everybody to logout out of google play store!

After updating the box with the latest February update '4.2 with Kodi14.1', I was logged out of the google play store but once I signed in, I am in forever it seems (unless I reset or apply the update again). Like I said, you give them finger, they grab you and have you. I think there is some relationship undercovers with google and android or mygica co.

Another query - is it possible to 'quit' apps? Or are they stopped simply by pressing Home button on remote? It looks like all apps continue to run until the box is powered down and restarted.

Is it possible to backup the box and once other boxes have firmware update done, the update could be restored and they would be clones of the original box? I tried 'App backup and restore' but have no idea where the backups went. I think they are on the mygica box and would be lost in future update. Also one can't restore the backup to another box.

I remember seeing some way of backing up to google cloud, perhaps that was an app on 14.2.2 last years update? I don't see it around now.

Also tried to backup from within Kodi (XML backup addon) but that conks out, something wrong with the script or something. I have configured backup location in the addon configuration but still the same problem.

How to go about backing up, either Kodi, or Gica box generally?

1.You can log out of the Play Store simply by using the Google Play Settings app.

2. You can kill apps after you have exited them by using the pre installed app 'Advanced Task Killer"

3. There is currently no way to fully backup old firmware and then clone it to another box after a firmware update. However you can try using "Titanium Backup" which will fully backup each individual app onto an SD Card, and then re install them after a firmware upgrade.

4. To backup XBMC/KODI, just use the Program Add on called XBMC Backup, or what is now called "Backup". These can be found as a program add on under the XBMC.ORG/KODI.TV Repo. I use the Android App "File Manager" to backup my add ons and user data, as I find this is a better way to backup User Data, however its just hard to explain which folders to C/P etc.

In the 'Google Settings' app (I believe you meant that one) I have gone over items there at least twice and didn't find anything there. Perhaps the log out option is not obvious, hidden under some function, like 'Clear app data' accessible by clicking on the 'three dots' in upper right corner?

The Task Killer 'kills' apps but they don't seem to be shut down, they still show on button press on remote and are available to switch to them - but perhaps they are not using box resources anymore unless switched to in which case they start so fast like they seem to have been running all along.... I wish there was 'cross' button in all apps to close them, since when using mouse there seems to be no way to get out of them, never mind shutting them down. I didn't think about the Task Killer because that's last resort for unresponsive programs on PC, it is a dirty way of shutting apps/programs down.

FYI I once inquired about Teamviewer - in this Kodi14.1 firmware version the 'Teamviewer QS' works (in Google Play store search for teamviewer and first two choices Teamviewer and TeamviewerQS both work) but is useless for remote Atv1200 box configuration. You can uninstall apps and see various data about the box but you can't even access its 'desktop', maximum you can request a screenshot form box user to see the 'desktop'. Full version Teamviewer 'works' as before in that it allows you to connect from atv1200 to a PC but not in reverse, when you'd want to configure android box remotely from PC. You get message 'Auhorization refused' if you try to connect to Atv1200. In addition using TV-QS user has to allow the connection, it is not unattended, which alone makes it almost usless, never mind that you can do almost nothing with the box even if allowed in. Nothing like with remotely controlling a PC with which I am quite familiar as I support a bunch of them.

Thanks for the '#4 Backup' advice, I will try both methods and see how it goes. I have 9 ATV1200 boxes and replicating configuration is in order, else it is too much work. And yes, it is mainly or only Kodi backup we talk about here. Thank you.

Sorry to log out of the Play Store I was thinking of something else in Google Play Settings.

If you go into the settings menu, and "Manage Apps" go to "ALL" Look for Play Store, open it. And should be a CLEAR DEFAULTS Option. This will log you out.

As for Team Viewer, I have not tried this. Will have to. I have seen it work on Pivos before, so cant see why it wouldnt on MyGica. The Teamviewer for XBMC might only work on certain OS though like Windows.

As it may interest others, precise path to Backup app for Kodi is: Settings/Add-ons/Get Add-ons/Kodi Add-ons repository/Program Add-ons/ Backup

Only needs configured path to backup and that's it.

As to backing up Android apps, I was able to use FileBrowser app to copy/paste files backed up by 'App Backup' to internal box location /storage/emulated/0/App_Backup_Restore (the File Manager is too dense to figure out how to do copy/paste, it even seems its not capable of that. Perhaps you meant FileBrowser, not Manager...

In File Browser app, the copy/paste is done by selecting second icon in menu (next to Home) which allows to select wanted files, then click on third icon allows one to Copy the files and then click Home, click on your connected USB key and in desired location you select the third icon again and then you can Paste the copied files. I copy/pasted entire App_Backup_Restore directory.

Only question I'd have is what is backed up this way, from Android, if I backup Kodi for example - are all the custom settings I made inside it be preserved upon restoring the backup, or is it just plain Kodi app that gets restored? Like when I applied the latest firmware with Kodi 14.1?

Thank you so much Justin for the help you gave me here, I realize this discussion goes beyond the bounds supporting the Atv box.

"settings menu, and "Manage Apps" go to "ALL" Look for Play Store, open it. And should be a CLEAR DEFAULTS Option. This will log you out."

Sorry but that doesn't work. In the first place I don't have any Defaults (it is telling me so in 'Settings/apps/All' and so the Clear Defaults button is dimmed for me. I cleared cache and also 'cleared data', pressing which button notified me that "All app data will be deleted - files, settings, accounts (!!), databases, etc."

However going then to GPlay store pops up notice with the account names in heading and below I only have option to Decline or Accept. Decline means the app won't start and I am back on Android desktop, Accept means I get into the Store logged in under the account which I tried to get rid of. Apparently you think you can log out until you try and then you begin to see the dark underbelly of the monster the google is. That's how it is with Google and all similar 'give them finger, they take whole arm and then all the rest and they have you and won't let you go, you're in forever until you reset the device or update firmware....

I am going to try to uninstall the GStore app and install it again from the backup of it I made. Not sure if the backup will contain the acct. login, will let you know tonight, don't have more time to play with it now.

Teamviewer has installers for windows as well as Mac OSX and Linux and you get full access to desktop, as if you set in front of the machine. Only thing that can get into your way is if the computer freezes or doesn't come up after reboot, then of course you need to be physically at the machine. Barring that you can fully control the computer.

With Android it looks as if you only get displayed some admittedly useful data about the device and can uninstall apps and maybe some other things but from the short examination you can't configure people's Kodi or configure anything for that matter. Only access to even see the screen of the device is the screenshot that has to be generated on the box by its user and in theory you should then see that screenshot if the user sends it to you... however what good is the screenshot, static picture... maximum you could use built in messaging to exchange conversation, give advice to the user. No way you can take control of the android box like you can with PC or Mac, where you don't even need any user sitting at the console (if you set it up like that beforehand when you install Teamviewer server on the machine).

I use Tviewer quite a bit supporting friend's computers and I was led to believe that one can support Android user that way also, but apparently that is not true.

If you install Teamviewer full app, not QS (Quick Support), it enables you to remotely control PC/Mac from the Atv box but you can't even log into the Atv box from a PC or Mac, the login is refused by the Android running Teamviewer

To be fair, you can use File Transfer feature of TViewer which gives you access to copy out or in any files but to configure the box this way you need to know where to place the files and you can't install. However it is handy as I just copied out to my PC the App_Backup_Restore directory which I previously transferred via USB key. This is so much simpler to do via Teamviewer.

FYI on ATV1200 install TV QS and on your PC install full TV and insert in the logging ID of the box and you're in.

Since I had to flash firmware on my ATV1200 due to being stuck in recovery mode', see this thread "http://www.mygica.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2137", I did have the occasion to restore backup to Kodi I made with that Backup app.

It did restore and at first it seemed OK but there is one weird thing, if I go to Settings-addons and go into any repo directory, there is nothing inside, all repos are empty although they are installed (from restoring the backup).

Speaking about this, I don't like how you can configure Kodi different ways (get to repos from Videos and also from Settings), now that I thought I mastered configuring Kodi manually (not by running some config script) I am getting thoroughly confused again.

Basically I am saying that restoring backup made by Backup app leaves the Kodi in a 'funny' or lets say weird state. I think I am going to start fresh again and configure it manually as I did before.

In my previous post from March 4th, I was mistaken. TeamviewerQS does provide full access to ATV1200 desktop just as with computers. You just have to use the link in upper left corner of the window. What confused me is you can't choose remote control directly when making connection - I guess that's how QuickSupport version of TViewer works, I am more familiar with full version of the program. Now only drawback is there has to be somebody at the Android box to allow you in, it is not unattended. What that means you can't support ATV1200 boxes at times when nobody is likely to use them.

I have one request of MyGica makers - The 'Home' button on the remote (I have KR34 remote) kicks you out of Kodi to Android's desktop. Could it somehow be made that while I am in Kodi app, that the home button would bring me to top Kodi, not Android desktop? There is a House icon down on screen but you can't navigate to it with arrows on the remote, only with a mouse (or mouse function of the remote) clicking which does take one to Kodi desktop. I have been wondering if it could be done with the Home button on the remote.

In my previous post from March 4th, I was mistaken. TeamviewerQS does provide full access to ATV1200 desktop just as with computers. You just have to use the link in upper left corner of the window. What confused me is you can't choose remote control directly when making connection - I guess that's how QuickSupport version of TViewer works, I am more familiar with full version of the program. Now only drawback is there has to be somebody at the Android box to allow you in, it is not unattended. What that means you can't support ATV1200 boxes at times when nobody is likely to use them.

I have one request of MyGica makers - The 'Home' button on the remote (I have KR34 remote) kicks you out of Kodi to Android's desktop. Could it somehow be made that while I am in Kodi app, that the home button would bring me to top Kodi, not Android desktop? There is a House icon down on screen but you can't navigate to it with arrows on the remote, only with a mouse (or mouse function of the remote) clicking which does take one to Kodi desktop. I have been wondering if it could be done with the Home button on the remote.

Good to know you got Teamviewer working

May I know which app you used for this, and was it just the Team Viewer Desktop version on PC you used to connect to it?

As for the Home button. We cannot change this, as it is a Universal Remote button, meaning it performs the same function on the entire OS.

Search in Google Play Store for Teamviewer and the first choice is the full version - you install that one on Android if you want to control remote PC (or Mac with full TV installed).

The second choice is TeamviewerQS (QuickSupport) - you install that one on Android if you want someone at remote PC to log into your Android box (TV-QS on Android must be running and you must allow the connection on Android when the remote PC asks to connect to your box). Quick Support version (with appropriate flavor installed on any device) is thus for people who want somebody to log onto their device to help them troubleshoot something. TV-QS version cannot be used by you to connect to other remote devices.

The PC wishing to control Android box needs standard full version TViewer (you may install it or just run it as portable - you install it when in future you want to remotely control that same PC- at finishing of install you can set that up or do it later on). Android box owner wishing to control a PC must install full version TViewer for Android (which is the very first choice when you search in GPStore).

Few notes - Each TViewer has ID number which the other party needs to know to connect to the machine with that TV (there is also password so the ID doesn't need to be kept strictly secret, private). You can't connect from PC to Android's box full version TViewer (the connection 'cannot be authenticated'), you can only connect to the ID of the QuickSupport version of TV. Each version on Android has unique ID and it always stays the same, it is some 'hardware signature' I believe).

TV on PC gives option to start directly file exchange but that won't work, connect to establish 'remote control' and once the Android box Allows you in (TV-QS must not just be running in background but its blue app screen must be showing on Android). This gets you to Android dashboard where you can see CPU RAM stats etc. Clicking on the 'Remote control' link at top left generates another request for approval on Android and you can then exchange text messages with Android operator but from PC you can't get anywhere else in Android box, at least I don't know how to do that. One way, not sure there is not other one, is to press 'home button' on Android remote and from Android screen then you can continue from your PC, you can click on Kodi and do whatever inside there. This trick with Home button is the reason I didn't think you get full access to Android box because you are locked to TV-QS screen only. However if you click on TViewer app in Android you get again 'locked' on its screen and need to press that Home button on Android remote again to get out of it.

There is actually software Home button that gets you to the Kodi 'desktop' it seem it is not accessible with remote unless switched to mouse operation, in which case it is handier to have real mouse connected. Still doing that from the remote without mouse mode would be handy.

That seems complicated but when you get to know those few things it opens up possibilities like having ultimate 'remote control' of your box and not just from the same room but from anywhere if you leave your ATV1200 running and TV-QS launched and you escape into Android desktop via that home button on Android remote. I found that putting the box to standby disconnects the PC and when you wake the box up, you need to switch to TV-QS app and then connect from PC... get approved on Android which gets you to and then start remote control from the link in upper left corner of TV window on PC, that has to be also approved on Android and then