Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oskarw

Can't get to recovery mode

Hi,

This is my first post. I got my ATV 582 back in Jan and this is the first time I'm trying to load a new firmware, but I can't get to the recovery mode via Quick boot app or the Reset pin at the bottom of the box. I've also tried to update firmware with the update app and selected the Mar 31 img file, then got the message that the firmware is going to be loaded, I click OK, the box reboots but I never see native Android icon with the upgrade bar below it, instead I see MyGica Kitkat 4.4 boot screen followed by the white animated screen with a million of cubes that represent all different apps. The same happens when I depress the reset button. I unplug the power, press the button with a toothpick (feel the button press), plug in power and instead of seeing the native Android logo and the recovery screen I'm used to seeing on my Android phone I see the MyGica Kitkat 4.4 screen followed by the animated white screen.

My box is:

Android: 4.4.2

uboot: a85a50c(20140922.093536)

Kernel: 3.10.33 jp@ubt124d375761-8b71fa(20141018.152553)

Build: V002M801_20141105

Has anyone experienced this problem before where you could not enter the recovery mode nor upgrade via Update app?

Oskar

I've tried going to recovery mode via Quick Boot with no micro SD card inserted and get the same result. I've also tried going to recovery via Reset button with no micro SD card and also the box completely skipped over and proceeded with normal boot process.

Any other ideas, or is this box defective?

That's really strange. My only advice is to try with nothing plugged in, no USB stick, no SD card. Unplug the device. Flip it over. Press the reset button and HOLD it down while plugging in the power jack. Continue holding the reset button down for 10 seconds while the device (hopefully) boots into the recovery text menu... any luck?

Saddie,

I've unplugged everything except for HDMI cable. Pulled power cord, flipped the box and pushed on the RESET button with toothpick and held it the whole time. Plugged power cord back in and got the Kitkat 4.4 screen, 3 sec later the white animated screen - no Recovery menu.

Saddie,

I've unplugged everything except for HDMI cable. Pulled power cord, flipped the box and pushed on the RESET button with toothpick and held it the whole time. Plugged power cord back in and got the Kitkat 4.4 screen, 3 sec later the white animated screen - no Recovery menu.

The pre installed app "Quick Boot" wont take you to Recovery Mode either?

No. It follows exactly the same boot up procedure as normal startup or holding down the Reset button. It never jumps to the Android recovery menu.

No. It follows exactly the same boot up procedure as normal startup or holding down the Reset button. It never jumps to the Android recovery menu.

This is very strange, I have not encountered this before with anyone running the firmware version you are running.

May I know when and where you bought the unit from?

Hi,

I'm newbie here. I have some problem as oskarw. I had Android 4.2.2 and I want go back to 4.1.2. I push reset button and plug power cable. I go to recovery mode and flash update_spi_mx_20130805.img and restart. When I wanted go to recovery mode and flash update_MYGICA_ATV520E_20130920.img my box not reacts and start booting normaly.

Do you have any idea?

Hope it helps,

Peter

Hi,

I'm newbie here. I have some problem as oskarw. I had Android 4.2.2 and I want go back to 4.1.2. I push reset button and plug power cable. I go to recovery mode and flash update_spi_mx_20130805.img and restart. When I wanted go to recovery mode and flash update_MYGICA_ATV520E_20130920.img my box not reacts and start booting normaly.

Do you have any idea?

Hope it helps,

Peter

Please make sure you only have 1 .img file on the SD card. The only time I ever saw recovery mode on a hard reset, was when there was a problem with updating. It usually updates on its own no recovery mode.

Saddie,

Find something a little stronger than a toothpick, and hold that button in a little harder and count to 20 mississippi before releasing. The 520e button isn't spring loaded so it make take a little more force.

Thank you for Your answers!

I tried this but my box not respons when I push the button. When I still push button OS load normaly.

I guess so, when I flash Android with file update_spi_mx_20130805.img your recovery partition it was demaged. Do you know how check this and repair?

Android started normaly but work non stable. I have installed SSH server and i have root account.

try pushing the button then powering on the machine, do not let go of the button until you see the recovery, also you already tried with quick boot ??

Hi,

I tried this, but my box not response when I push and hold the button.

When I hold button the box start normally.

What is it quick boot?

Quick boot is an application - so should be in your ALL APPS list - it kind of looks like a custom restart screen - gives you the option to boot into recovery, shut down, reboot...

That's what I use to get to custom recovery.

Same problem. The button does not work. Also quick boot doesn't do the trick either.

Which version of Firmware are you using currently on the 582?

Because a very early version does not have recovery mode, but I have software to fix this

Hello guys,

I had the same problem this morning after I installed the beta firmware 5.0.2, unfortunately the QuickBoot app was not working.

The way I found to boot into recovery mode is:

1) Download the application "Android Terminal Emulator" either from app store or google for the APK file.

2) Start the application and enter the command "reboot recovery"

This will reboot the system into recovery mode!!!

Hello guys,

I had the same problem this morning after I installed the beta firmware 5.0.2, unfortunately the QuickBoot app was not working.

The way I found to boot into recovery mode is:

1) Download the application "Android Terminal Emulator" either from app store or google for the APK file.

2) Start the application and enter the command "reboot recovery"

This will reboot the system into recovery mode!!!

Thanks for sharing this

Hi Justin, I have an ATV 582 with build "V001M801_20140423 test-keys". This is how I bought the unit originally (I have not updated the firmware). I have tried everything to update the firmware and it will not update. I have tried using a Micro SD card formatted with FAT32, and a USB drive - it recognizes the files in both cases, but when it reboots it doesn't go to the Android update screen, it goes directly to the MyGica screen. I have tried the hardware button but it doesn't open the recovery screen. I also tried the "Android Terminal Emulator" and typed in "reboot recovery" but it didn't recognize the command. I have tried virtually every version of the firmware, but each time it reboots it doesn't start the Android update screen. I cannot open the recovery screen with any of the methods given in the forums. I can't do the manual update from the network because it gives me the error "connect service fail". It only came with 2 home screens: "MyGica" and "VST" (which is in Chinese).

Please help me, I don't know what else to try.

Thanks.

Sorry for my late reply, and thanks for the suggestion (I had not tried that). I installed the reboot app and tried to enter recovery mode using the app, but it did not reboot into recovery mode (it rebooted back into the MyGica logo, followed by the home screen). Is it possible to create a bootable microSD card with either the latest version of the firmware, or a stock version of the firmware, and then boot the ATV 582 from the MicroSD and update the MyGica (without entering into recovery mode)?